What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by Alex79 »

You're not part of the problem. Anyone who wanted to play that game either had to grin and bear it or just don't play it. The games publishers are the problem, not the consumer. I see that a lot, "I got it on PS+ so I'm part of the problem" or "Well I didn't buy game X so I'm part of the problem". It seems consumers are too quick these days to blame themselves when we are not the ones at fault!

Sorry ksub, that's not really aimed at you, and I realise it was a throwaway comment, but I'm seeing that phrase more and more, and it makes me mad - publishers and developers should take accountability, don't hold your hand up and say "blame me!"
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

It's just that I believe in responsible consumerism and voting with your wallet. Obviously the publishers are the one pushing for this nonsense, but we also have to acknowledge that they would back away from it very quickly if the consumer body dared to give them a resounding "No". And I think that the average video game consumer has rather poor impulse control and is awfully quick to tolerate a lot of dubious stuff in order to chase the rush of a sweet new game. Alas, myself included.

It's a bit of both, methinks. Vicious cycle and all that.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Alex79uk wrote: November 9th, 2018, 8:22 pm So 11-11 Memories Retold, then?

I'd not heard anything whatsoever about this, until an advert for it played before a YouTube video. I'd usually skip as soon as possible, but the review quotes made me sit up and pay attention. A narrative driven, first world war game, with no combat, and it's had excellent reviews!

Am I the only one who's not heard about this until now? It looks very interesting.
I downloaded it last night and played the first chapter, about 40 mins. It's a bit early to tell what it's going to be like - there seems to be a healthy dose of Valiant Hearts in there. You play as German Dad and Canadian Callow Youth, and the gameplay for each so far has been pushing crates out of the way, and taking photos, respectively. I must say that the pretext for getting each of them to the Front has been extremely flimsy, but I'm rolling with it for now. Interested to see where it goes, and whether it gets a little bit more sophisticated.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 10th, 2018, 10:16 pm It's just that I believe in responsible consumerism and voting with your wallet. Obviously the publishers are the one pushing for this nonsense, but we also have to acknowledge that they would back away from it very quickly if the consumer body dared to give them a resounding "No". And I think that the average video game consumer has rather poor impulse control and is awfully quick to tolerate a lot of dubious stuff in order to chase the rush of a sweet new game. Alas, myself included.

Yeah that's a good point, but as you say in reality consumers rarely, if ever, vote with their wallets. Personally, I do with small things like eggs or coffee and such, but on a larger scale you could tell me Rockstar employees routinely sacrifice a small child every Tuesday to the gods of the open world, and I'd still be queuing up to play GTA 6 on release day...
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 10th, 2018, 10:16 pm It's just that I believe in responsible consumerism and voting with your wallet. Obviously the publishers are the one pushing for this nonsense, but we also have to acknowledge that they would back away from it very quickly if the consumer body dared to give them a resounding "No". And I think that the average video game consumer has rather poor impulse control and is awfully quick to tolerate a lot of dubious stuff in order to chase the rush of a sweet new game. Alas, myself included.

Yeah, Hitman 2 will be a resounding "no" from me. I feel a bit sorry for the actual talent that worked on the game (no sympathy for the publishers), but I do have a wealth of other options, game wise, and none of them require DRM.

I still have Blood Money on my shelf... ;)
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Let’s go Pokemon let’s go!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Too bad Spyro isn't coming to PC just yet, and surprised there's no Switch port announced.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Battlefield V - PC, PS4, XBO
Bendy and the Ink Machine - NS, PS4, XBO
Farming Simulator 19 - PC, PS4, XBO
Moto Racer 4 - NS
Wreckfest - PS4, XBO
ATV Drift & Tricks - NS
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

We finally get Steamworld Dig 2 on the XBO today, and the Eternal CCG gets an XBO release today as well.

I’ve also got my eye on Assassin’s Creed Rebellion on mobile, which is meant to be pretty decent (if perhaps a little too much like Fallout Shelter for some)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Nice, Steamworld Dig 2 is pretty damn enjoyable.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: November 21st, 2018, 2:18 pm I’ve also got my eye on Assassin’s Creed Rebellion on mobile, which is meant to be pretty decent (if perhaps a little too much like Fallout Shelter for some)
Downloaded this earlier today. Will report back!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: November 21st, 2018, 5:16 pm
Flabyo wrote: November 21st, 2018, 2:18 pm I’ve also got my eye on Assassin’s Creed Rebellion on mobile, which is meant to be pretty decent (if perhaps a little too much like Fallout Shelter for some)
Downloaded this earlier today. Will report back!
Well I've been playing it for about an hour, and I like it. It's a mix of base building, turn based strategy(very-lite) and the usual card collecting type stuff you'd expect. The actual in game action is fairly enjoyable, not sure how repetitive it will get, but early impressions are good. There's a story, of sorts. Too early to tell if its any good, but hoping it will be. Glad to see it's set in Ezio time, since that was always my favorite AssCreed era.

It's not really much like Fallout Shelter at all. The base is just that, a base for the main action. And the in game stuff is quite interesting. You take a team of three on any mission, and basically have to select which single person advances ahead to the next room based on their skills. Room with traps? Pick someone with high disarming and lockpick skills. Two enemies? You want a tank or a deadly assassin. Two enemies AND a trap AND some high ledge free running stuff in one room? Ooh think carefully about who you send. It's actually rather clever and fun.

My only gripe really is that these sorts of games are not really designed to be completable. I like to have an end goal in games, and I'm not sure I'll ever reach it. But, it seems fun so far, and it's free.

EDIT: It's also a little buggy at this stage. Three times over that hour I had to force close the app after it got stuck on a screen.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Darksiders III - PC, PS4, XBO
Spintires: Mudrunner – American Wilds Edition - NS
Artifact - PC
Parkitect - PC
Ark: Survival Evolved - NS
Fighting EX Layer - PC
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

R-Type Dimensions Ex on Switch. Preordered for the discount as there’s no way I can resist this!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I think nidhogg 2 is out on Switch now??
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Oh god, X4 Foundations came out yesterday. It's a space/economics sim and I put a good bit of time into X3 Albion Prelude earlier this year though I didn't mention it much on here.

It apparently has seamless transitions between ships and stations. In theory you could land your ship at a station you own, leave it, board one of your fighters, go to the bridge, take off, navigate to a carrier you own and land inside, go to the bridge, fly that ship to a capital ship you own, land inside and go to the bridge and fly that back to dock at your station, all without a loading screen :)

Massively conflicted now, would love to dig in but sitting at a PC for hours isn't where I want to be at the moment.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Gwent: The Witcher Card Game - PS4, XBO
Just Cause 4 - PC, PS4, XBO
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - PC, NS, PS4, XBO
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - PC, PS4, XBO
Override: Mech City Brawl - PC, PS4, XBO
Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight - PS4, PSVita
Persona 4: Dancing All Night - PS4, PSVita
Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight - PS4, PSVita
Subnautica - PS4, XBO
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales- PS4, XBO
The Last Remnant: Remastered - PS4
Katamari Damacy Rerolled - PC, NS
Path of Exile - PS4 (delayed?)
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - PS4
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - NS
James

Post by James »

Saving the best* for last, Darren?

*...the one you're most mouth-wateringly excited for... ;-)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Oh man, I was hoping Subnautica was going to come out in around Jan. Really looking forward to playing it on PS4.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

James wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 2:57 pm Saving the best* for last, Darren?

*...the one you're most mouth-wateringly excited for... ;-)
Genuinely this release date snuck up on me so ive not had the long hype build up. Ive avoided all trailers and news as best i can and being busy all day everyday just means i barely see whats going on and then games magically appear before me.

But yes, im a bit excited for Smash Ultimate.