What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

KSubzero1000 wrote: December 17th, 2018, 9:37 pm Looks like we're getting both R-Type Dimensions EX on Switch, Steam and PS4, as well as Scintillatron 4096 on PS4 this week. Good time to be a shmup fan. I'll probably grab the former, but I'm also curious about the latter. Anyone else?
I've already got R-Type Dimensions on PS3 (really great with a joystick), but I hadn't heard heard of Scintillatron 4096 prior to this post... looks interesting... and I'd risk throwing money at an indie over a AAA title... we'll see how money money exists after the end of the session! :(
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m prepared for the backlash when asking this question but I am planning on playing R-Type 1/2 and finishing them.

I understand you can play with infinite lives and a level select. I’m fully expecting to get smashed to bits early on but what I love is being able to challenge myself initially to the point it becomes impossible then start abusing save states or cheats if needed. I realise that’s not the point but my skill level is such that I doubt I will see beyond the first few levels and don’t have the time/patience/inclination to invest in improving enough to tackle these notoriously difficult games.

I’m throwing myself under the bus a little but this is where I am at and am curious whether the quality of life features make the game completable and whether it is still enjoyable along the way.

Edit: I don’t own the game
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Mate, you bought the game, play it however you damn well please!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I think Simon is asking for a clarification whether the QoL features he desires are in the game to begin with, no?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Yes that’s right I don’t own it. My post is pretty vague. Sorry about that.

I suppose I’m asking for an idea if the quality of life improvements on these versions make it worth going for versus emulating originals which are available on other systems like Nintendo store.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

You choose whether you want infinite or classic every time you start a game, as well as modern or classic graphics. This is my only gripe with the game - it gets annoying every game over in classic mode, especially because infinite is the selected option by default so it’s easy to select it by mistake when you’re in the zone. Great to have infinite mode available though, as I’ve seen parts of the game (approximately 95% of it in fact) that I’d never see through regular play.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

stvnorman wrote: December 18th, 2018, 8:15 pm You choose whether you want infinite or classic every time you start a game, as well as modern or classic graphics. This is my only gripe with the game - it gets annoying every game over in classic mode, especially because infinite is the selected option by default so it’s easy to select it by mistake when you’re in the zone. Great to have infinite mode available though, as I’ve seen parts of the game (approximately 95% of it in fact) that I’d never see through regular play.
Thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to know.
Which version are you playing?
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Simonsloth wrote: December 18th, 2018, 8:41 pm Thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to know.
Which version are you playing?
Switch. Had it for a couple of weeks and it’s a perfect rendition as far as I can tell.
Joshihatsumitsu

All the extra features on R-Type are nice, and 3D/weird camera angle thing is... well, it doesn't help or harm the overall package. And I do default to the original graphics, personal preference.

Of the two I think the sequel is certainly more player friendly. You'll go a little further on your one credit than the original game.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yep, Dimensions EX for Switch, Steam and PS4 is almost identical to the (fine) version which came out very nearly 10 years ago on 360 (and five years more recently on PS3). Worth saying that the 360 version is playable on Xbox One and the PS3 version was free with PS+ not so long ago.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Also, completely disagree with Joshi’s suggestion that the sequel is easier. The second game was pretty much designed as a fuck you to the people who beat the original. I can get most of the way through the first game, I can barely get off level two of the sequel!

I think everyone on the podcast panel had a similar experience.

It’s just a real shame that the more recent releases haven’t added to the collection, with four wonderful R-Type sequels just begging for a scale and polish.
Joshihatsumitsu

It would be good to have a port of R-Type Leo... the prices vary, but a ¥124,200 price tag isn't too far off the average price for a board. So, yeah, an affordable port would be nice!
ratsoalbion wrote: December 18th, 2018, 10:00 pm Also, completely disagree with Joshi’s suggestion that the sequel is easier. The second game was pretty much designed as a fuck you to the people who beat the original. I can get most of the way through the first game, I can barely get off level two of the sequel!
Shhh... don't ruin the surprise! ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

😆
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

ratsoalbion wrote: December 18th, 2018, 9:55 pm PS3 version was free with PS+ not so long ago.
How did I miss that? I’ve been with ps plus since day 1 (I even have my own framed certificate from Sony as a reward) and didn’t think I’d missed anything!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s just about the only game I’ve ever missed too!

Still annoyed even though I have it on 360/XO.

November 2017 it was.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

ratsoalbion wrote: December 19th, 2018, 8:14 am It’s just about the only game I’ve ever missed too!

Still annoyed even though I have it on 360/XO.

November 2017 it was.
Stranger still because I downloaded every other game that month!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Perhaps it didn’t show up on day one or something.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Fitness Boxing - NS

For all your Christmas belly removal.
James

Post by James »

Make sure to use those Joy Con wrist straps, or you'll be punching away your TV as well as your Christmas belly.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

VG247 listing for this week coming

Pikuniku (PC, Switch) – January 7
Bury me, my Love (PC, Switch) – January 10
Double Cross (PC, Switch) – January 10
Everything (Switch) – January 10
Aftercharge (PC, Xbox One) – January 10, 2019
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – January 11
Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr’s Journey (3DS) – January 11
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Switch) – January 11