All things Metal Gear (Solid)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AlexMaskill

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by AlexMaskill »

ratsoalbion wrote:Konami say he's actually on holiday:
http://kotaku.com/konami-denies-hideo-k ... Socialflow
This is all very silly!
Man, desperate business PR is weird. What, do they think we're supposed to think he's excited for his debut as a pachinko designer? The whole thing just makes them sound like they've just gone through a really bad break-up and don't quite have their head straight yet.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Well, I don't want to be a gossip or anything, but Konami have just changed their Facebook status to single...

:(
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Well I might've had problems with Leigh Alexander's writing last year but it's undenaible that she's one of the best writers out there,she wrote a very interesting take on MGSV for vice:

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-fina ... games-1015
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Other interesting takes on Metal Gear by PBS gaming and kill screen talking about torture and body politics in Metal gear games(spoilers for the whole series and Phantom Pain) > http://killscreendaily.com/articles/str ... eo-kojima/

Edit:
Unrelated but apparently the company that owns Escape from New York wanted to sue Konami and Kojima for "ripping off" the movie similar to how they did it to Luck Besson recently but John Carpenter prevented them because he said Kojima is a nice guy XD
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I'm near the end of MGS5 (the main story missions at least) and I'm still very conflicted by this game. I LOVE the minute to minute gameplay, and that hasn't changed from start to near finish. The controls, the enemy A.I., the different tools and tactics at your disposal, all of that stuff is absolutely stellar. The game just lacks that signature MGS personality, which may mean this game will be the MGS a lot of people have been waiting for, but has left me feeling a bit deflated by the whole thing. MGS3 is still easily my favourite, as it has a ton of depth gameplay wise, while also having buckets of personality.

I never thought my biggest complaint about an MGS game would be the LACK of cut scenes and story. Huh.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Heh.

I have this and Ground Zeroes yet to play. You know, when I have a minute spare.

Took me about four years to get to MGS4...
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Combine Hunter wrote: I never thought my biggest complaint about an MGS game would be the LACK of cut scenes and story. Huh.
You know honestly think I'll never be able to understand that complaint from people regarding MGSV XD(I mean if you only played chapter one and listened to none of the tapes I think I get it)

I went in to check on youtube and the compilation of all the cutscenes and story in MGSV is in line with the average Metal Gear Solid game it falls in line with 1,2 and 3.V actually has more story then Peace Walker and is only significantly shorter then MGS4 which is the larger one in terms of cutscenes with 7 hours as opposed to the 4:30 - 5:00 average so I dont know,I think pacing is more of an issue then anything rather then lack of content.

EDIT
welp Konami keeps being Konami I suppose: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ear-online
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I've listened to all the tapes and I'm into chapter 2. My complaint still stands. I think even when the MGS plot is at its worst (I'm thinking MGS2 and MGS4) the games still had buckets of personality and charm. As nonsensical and badly written as MGS has been in the past, it was never boring. MGSV's plot, characters, cut scenes and radio conversations are really, really dull. The whole thing feels like chess piece storytelling, rather than the firework display MGS usually is. Thankfully, unlike other MGS games, the hours spent playing the game VASTLY out weigh the hours spent engaged with the story. But that lack of effort and energy is disappointing.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

hum...I never thought the game lacked personality or was dull the only thing that really bothered me in that aspect was the silent snake at first,but for example alot of people complain that Ocelot isnt as OTT as he was in 3 or 4 but the ocelot you know is still that character and if you think to MGS1 and his role in that game the ocelot in that game and in MGSV are very similar the difference is he's not a boss trying to kill you,Skullface is as OTT as any good MGS vilain and has ton of personality(though underutilized I'll admit) it's a little bit understated especially in comparison to 4 or 2 and doesnt achieve the perfect balance of 3 and Peace Walker but I much prefer this then MGS4 where we have 1hour dedicated to the joke character of the series "Johnny mr pooppants sasaki" alot of the silliness have become optional and not overly shoved in your face,c'mon this is probably the only AAA game that allows you to rocket punch sheep and where a giant fire whale tries to kill you and only MGS can provide that.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So Kojma tweeted this conversation betewen 2 japanese authors,they talk about MGSV's controversial ending and story so full spoilers ahead,I since Kojima retweeted it you might wanna take it with a grain of salt but even if you hated everything about the game's story I think it's worth a read it's very interesting talk about the themes of the game and how it all comes together,and even if you dont agree or dont like it I think it gives a pretty good picture of what Kojima was going for in this game:

http://webnewtype.com/special/metalgear/en_01/

http://webnewtype.com/special/metalgear/en_02/
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Love the gameplay of this. I am down with just getting the mission done however I need to. It is odd when you get a "metal gear" type moment. Simply because you don't get them as often. But it is fun and I'm up to mission 16 now.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm about four hours in to Metal Gear Solid 4, and I'm enjoying it and all that, but is it just a 3rd person shooter? So far all I've done is fight gun battles in the streets, it's reminding me of Spec Ops the line. After MGS 3 and Peace Walker it just seems a huge change in direction. Like I said, I am actually enjoying it, but it's not Metal Gear Solid so far at all...
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Alex79uk wrote:I'm about four hours in to Metal Gear Solid 4, and I'm enjoying it and all that, but is it just a 3rd person shooter? So far all I've done is fight gun battles in the streets, it's reminding me of Spec Ops the line. After MGS 3 and Peace Walker it just seems a huge change in direction. Like I said, I am actually enjoying it, but it's not Metal Gear Solid so far at all...
hahahaha :D after the many arguments I had with people regarding if MGSV is "Metal Gear-like" enough this statement of yours just cracked me up,but dont worry it gets more into stealth as the game goes on.Kojima had this whole concept of sneaking in the battlefield for this which I dont think it quite worked,some of the best levels of the game are right at the beginning but there you're overly encouraged to get into gunfights instead of sneak,the game kinda of leaves that behind after awhile but the quality of the levels falls as well but the biggest problem with 4 though is that you spend too much time watching it rather then playing it,which was the lastest boss fight you encountred btw?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Well I'm about 5.5 hours in and I don't think I've fought a boss yet. I've just started act 2 and it's got a bit sneakier now, I'm heading in to
Spoiler: show
the jungle area to find Naomi.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

A dont worry then Act 2 is considerably "more Metal Gear" then act 1is so you'll enjoy some good stealth time(mostly).
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Great article on the Escapist about Metal Gear main characters and Nietzsche,Spoilers for all the games except MGSV(unless you count that a quote from the game is a spoiler) http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... ear-Series
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'll have a look in a couple of days, looks interesting. I've pretty much finished MGS 4 now, saved just before the last boss because I didn't have time to sit through the ending cut scene >_<
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

yep it's around 1:40:00 if I recall correctly XD
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Mission 50 on MGS V is driving me mad!!! It is also one of the reasons that I have not posted on the games completed thread yet this year
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm very close to finishing MGS 4 at the moment. The only reason I haven't finished it yet is that I've not had time to set aside for the final boss and ending scenes. With this in mind, I was planning on moving on to Ground Zeroes next (already done Peace Walker), but I'm considering playing Metal Gear Rising in between. My question is, I know that MGRising isn't part of the Solid storyline really, being a separate action game, but do any of the events/storyline running through Rising refer back to any of the MGS games in any way? I'm really keen to get everything I can from the Metal Gear universe at the moment, and just wondered where Rising sat with that. Thanks!