All things Metal Gear (Solid)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by Todinho »

Alex79uk wrote:I'm very close to finishing MGS 4 at the moment. The only reason I haven't finished it yet is that I've not had time to set aside for the final boss and ending scenes. With this in mind, I was planning on moving on to Ground Zeroes next (already done Peace Walker), but I'm considering playing Metal Gear Rising in between. My question is, I know that MGRising isn't part of the Solid storyline really, being a separate action game, but do any of the events/storyline running through Rising refer back to any of the MGS games in any way? I'm really keen to get everything I can from the Metal Gear universe at the moment, and just wondered where Rising sat with that. Thanks!
Rising is the only game you cant play if you havent finnished MGS4 XD it takes place after it and it does spoil things if you havent played 4,Ground Zeroes takes place one year after Peace Walker though so you can play that one without fear.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks :) Oh yeah I definitely wasn't going to play Rising before I finish 4, I just wondered if it carried on the story from 1, 2 and 4 at all, or if it was an entirely different thing that didn't really reference any story bits from the previous games. Basically, is it worth playing from a story point of view?
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Alex79uk wrote:Thanks :) Oh yeah I definitely wasn't going to play Rising before I finish 4, I just wondered if it carried on the story from 1, 2 and 4 at all, or if it was an entirely different thing that didn't really reference any story bits from the previous games. Basically, is it worth playing from a story point of view?
From a story point of view,not at all in my opinion as a metal Gear story it's complete garbage in every way,as a Platinum game and a satire of what Metal Gear it's really fun :D
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Full on spoilers for MGSV: Famitsu did an interview about MGSV story with Kenji Yano(writes the metal gear books in japan)they talk about the games connections with Moby Dick,the themes of the game and of course how it ends and how the final part plays out,really good read I highly recommend it if you played the game regardless of how you felt about it: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201602/26099526.html
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

A cool article about localization and the term "Metal Gear",it focuses in the scene with Grannin in MGS3 but it's an interesting read regarding this weird term : http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-how ... -japanese/

PS: Been watching alot of Ghost in the Shell so Im not gonna lie it was pretty weird hearing batou's voice coming outta Snake with that attire XD
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I didnt Know where else to put this but I've mentioned in another thread that Kojima is doing a Glixel colum in which he talks about movies, and this time he talked about Logan and during it he drew alot of parallels between Logan and Snake(especifically Old Snake in 4) but also between the whole cinematic universe paradigm that we find outselfs in nowadays and the metal gear series and how stories are written within these universes, really good stuff: http://www.glixel.com/news/hideo-kojima ... id-w480755
Nihilizem

Post by Nihilizem »

Todinho wrote: April 29th, 2016, 11:34 pm A cool article about localization and the term "Metal Gear",it focuses in the scene with Grannin in MGS3 but it's an interesting read regarding this weird term : http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-how ... -japanese/
A bit late, but thanks for the link, very interesting.
I've always found that line a bit clunky and awkward, and it's a bit disappointing to see that the japanese original was not much better.
It's a bit jarring in that visually, I can understand what they were going for, if you imagine two pieces of machinery, and a gear in-between which connects them and allows to turn and work. But that is not really what we generally mean when talking about a "missing link".
I think the metaphor would have been much more useful by simply dropping the missing link line and image.

But at the end of the day, it just sound like a clumsy explanation for something which needed none. Which is very much a Kojima thing apparently.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yeah it's not really good word for what it's trying to get across, I think Sahelanthropus gets what's trying to say much better but it's not as catchy as Metal gear and it's pretty hard to pronounce XD.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That's weird because I always felt like that made perfect sense. The Metal Gear was the link between soldier and machine...?
Nihilizem

Post by Nihilizem »

Alex79uk wrote: May 22nd, 2017, 8:46 am That's weird because I always felt like that made perfect sense. The Metal Gear was the link between soldier and machine...?
You are right, and I agree that it makes sense in terms of visual metaphor. My issue with it is that linguistically the two things do not really work as synonyms of each other.
I think the explanation might have been less clunky with Granin just dropping the "missing link" line. It would have made the conversation seem a bit less forced in my opinion.
That being said as a retcon of the origin of the title of the game, they could have done much worse.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Another thing that I think should not go unmentioned is that a lot of metaphors and wordplays simply get lost in translation. The writing in the Metal Gear series, while notorious for its heavy-handedness and lack of elegance in the localized english version, is often said to flow much better in the original japanese. So I don't find it hard to believe that the particular example you're discussing just made a lot more sense in the original version.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I didnt know where to put this and I didnt want to create a whole new thread for it so I'll put this here, and sorry this post is basically me fanboying out and telling you about my week.
So this week I took a little trip to São Paulo for BGS(Brasil Game Show) the flagship game con here on Brasil it's on it's 10th edition but I never went, the reason I went this time is because Hideo Kojima was attending so I was obviously gonna be there, I even made a crappy Policenauts shirt, spoiler: it didnt turn out very good XD.

I was there on the front row for both of his presentations on the main stage which didnt amount to much but it was still pretty cool to just be there especially because everyone was super excited, unfortunally I didnt get to meet him in the meet&greet because the registration for it was limited to 180 people and it closed in 30 seconds(and I mean that literally) so I was left to watch from the sidelines feeling forlorn :( , a friend of mine was able to get in though and he made a HUGE favor to me and reliquished his right to have an item signed and instead got my copy MGSV autographed :D

Me and a friend of mine did get to kinda of meet and take a picture with his staff on the next day, his assistant Ayako, the producer and right hand man of Kojima, Ken and a very nice japanese man I unfortunally dont know the name of but he was super cool about it, the picture didnt turn out all that great but I was still pretty jazzed about but I hope they didnt mind because after we took our picture it seemed everyone of the front row got the same idea and they got a bit swarmed.

Overall it was really fun and if I was to describe Kojima's trip here overall it was just a whole lot fun, not just for me but the entire brazilian internet was on fire the whole time he was here, I mean the memes where being created by the second,that was almost as good as being there to see the guy and I really think kojima embraced that and was just loving goofying off, this expanded even beyond people who play games here he went to every major television station and people like my mother were telling me how they watched him on tv, it was kind of surreal.
I dont know if he's ever coming back here but this was really special and it, weirdly enough, made me appreciatte fandom in a way I never had before, sure fandoms can sometimes be annoying and even toxic at times but other times they can provide moments like this.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Todinho wrote: October 16th, 2017, 1:50 am people like my mother were telling me how they watched him on tv, it was kind of surreal.
Hahaha!

This reminds me of when I went to one of his autograph session in Hamburg during the MGS4 press tour (nine years ago, how time flies...). It was indeed a lot of fun just standing in line for hours with all the other hardcore fans and meeting Kojima later on (and mumbling some kind of praise in broken english while he politely nodded away). I still have his autograph framed and hung up on my wall like any self-respecting groupie would, of course.

Glad to hear you had such a good time, Todinho.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

abit out of left field but this legit had me choked up:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

This just turned up in the mail, which was an amazing surprise as I had completely forgotten about it. Two massive hardcover art books, encased in a high-quality shelf. Other huge fans of the series might want to consider grabbing it before it becomes an unattainable collector's item several years from now.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 8th, 2018, 10:11 am This just turned up in the mail, which was an amazing surprise as I had completely forgotten about it. Two massive hardcover art books, encased in a high-quality shelf. Other huge fans of the series might want to consider grabbing it before it becomes an unattainable collector's item several years from now.
Sold out already by the looks of it :(
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

https://www.amazon.de/Art-Metal-Gear-So ... 547&sr=8-1

Not on german amazon. It's the exact same version anyway!