The Street Fighter thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: The Street Fighter thread

Post by James »

Sagat's face looks bizarre to me; all slack-jawed and puffy.

Could be worse, I suppose...
Suits

Post by Suits »

This was piece I read about the artwork.

The whole interview will be in the new Bitmap SNES coming out in November.
First up, I spoke to Mick McGinty about his box art work for Street Fighter, Super Street Fighter and Street Fighter Turbo. Now I know that the Japanese artwork is cited as being more superior but I really like Mick's art for Street Fighter 2 – it's iconic. He talked about his relationship with Capcom USA and how all he would get a series of printed screen stills from Japan. This is all he would have to replicate the characters! Later in the series he would also get some kind of character concept art but most of the time, the artwork was created from screen stills. Pretty amazing really. It was fascinating to get into real detail about the way that Capcom would be very prescriptive about what they wanted to cover to include. For instance, Mick was told that Street Fighter 2 Turbo must include E.Honda エドモンド 本田 doing his Hundred Hand Slap move and it took many rounds of creative to get this right so Capcom were happy. Also, I'd never seen the silhouette of Dhalsim ダルシム just above the bath tub. He's so obscured it almost looks like a mistake! [\quote]
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

To quickly summarise: when I was around 11-12 (around '91 or '92") I won a SNES with a "years supply of games" (meaning 12). And that PAL version (because I live in Australia) of Street Fighter 2: Turbo, with it's unique cover, is still in my collection, still on my shelf.

I cannot imagine parting with it. It was my primary Street Fighter experience for a long time growing up, and it's probably why quarter-circle movements are so hardwired into my brain. :D
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: February 18th, 2017, 11:03 am Where do you live, can I come round?
;)
Come on then Mr Cox, time to put your B&H where your mouth is.....

My Ryu game has come on strong !!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Flippin A. Nice one. My mate has been looking for a Scoremaster, just waiting to find one for less than fifty notes.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

😁
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: May 6th, 2017, 8:48 pm My mate has been looking for a Scoremaster, just waiting to find one for less than fifty notes.
Yeah, they can command a pretty penny nowadays.

I was sorting through some bits today and the wife challenged me to a game of SF2T, so of course - I accepted. She ownd me :lol: .
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It's probably all down to marketing seeping in but I am very much in the mood for UFSII on the Switch.

Hope it reviews well, if not I'll be seeing what ARMS is upto. Just wanna punch some people in the head
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'll certainly be getting ARMS, well, I've already pre-ordered it.

It's crazy little Nintendo exclusive titles like this that really get me excited, something unknown and a bit different.

I do have more than a few fingers crossed for it though, Nintendo needs these new pillars of releases to be strong, to give the Switch a big push into Christmas in its first year.

Edge seemed to like it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I'll probably pick up Arms when I get a Switch, but I'm still not actually getting one until Splatoon 2 is out.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Managed to have a play on SF2 Switch at a Monster Hunter event at the weekend. Looked and played great. They only had Pro controllers there, but I have doubts over whether the four button d-pad is up for special moves.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Surely no chance. They're far too clicky. It'll be Pro Controller all the way for me.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, from what I remember all the offical Nintendo events where they've showed off SF2 have used pro-controllers, which gives the impression that even Nintendo don't think the direction buttons are up to rolling out fireballs.

I kind of semi expected there to be a Pro-Controller bundle with the game or something with a themed pad but alas nothing yet.
James

Post by James »

Yeah, I've heard nothing about official USFII controllers. I presume Mad Catz' demise and the fact this is another version of a much-released game mean that we may not see any, to be honest.

Hori's RAP V fight stick and the Pro Controller are likely to be the main options, I reckon.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

When I first got Street Fighter IV all those many years ago, I also shelled out for the original Mad Catz SFIV Fightstick. I thought the money I spent on that was ludicrous at the time, but here we are in 2017, still plugged into my Xbox 360, still tough and unbreakable.

And needless to say once I heard about Mad Catz going bust I had to pick up the SFV TE version. It can switch between my PS3 and PS4, and while it's branded towards Street Fighter and works incredibly well with it, it's become my controller of choice with most 2D games, fighters and shmups alike. It's so very hard to go back to the ol' D-pad.

Those Hori's do have a bit of a good reputation, so it's good to see that they're still in business.

And those Scoremaster joysticks... gold. :D
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Surprisingly literally no one, the first person 'way of the hado' mode in USF2 on the Switch is awful.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... wii-waggle
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Yeah you could tell within seconds of first seeing this mode that it was going to be utter bobbins.

I was wondering why they were bothering, but then I remembered they're trying to get us to shell out £40 for a do-over of a game we've all played and owned hundreds of times before for over two decades, and are clearly scrabbling around for reasons to justify the price tag. Hopefully no one but the most oblivious of souls will be fooled.

I'll get this game eventually. Of course I will. But not until it's priced a touch more sensibly...
Suits

Post by Suits »

I've been playing a good bit of USF2 on the Switch of late and I have to say, it's a great fighting game, or the most enjoyable fighting game I've played for a longtime.

I've been playing it on the big screen with the 8BitDo SF30 pad, which is good but I was more surprised how well it plays in portable mode when out and about (my wife stayed in hospital after the birth of our baby for a while so it's come in handy there quite a bit) the analogue stick (while far from ideal - I agree) works fine and I managed to get down what I needed to do after a few matches.

Apart from the price, which I agree is pretty expensive, I think it's a wicked little fighting game, which really comes into itself when away from the house.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Also worth noting I feel, that the gallery section on the Switch is a worth while browse - I'm sure that it's available elsewhere but I appreciate these in game additions.

There's an image in there under the concept art section of Sagat (who is probably the most compelling of the fighters for me) standing over victim of his who has what looks like a broken elbow and crushed head - It's a really good piece of art I think, looks great.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Hello Street Fighter thread. Long time no see.

The second season is still slowly trucking along. Most of the new characters so far haven't massively shaken up the competitive scene. Poongko is doing fun things playing as Kolin, and a couple of players have prepared pocket Abigail's because he looks to be a good counter pick. Justin Wong won an event with Ed but that's possibly more down to Wong's almost supernatural ability to be incredibly good with new games/characters out the gate.

Anyway, two more fighters to go this season, first of which drops tomorrow at much shorter notice than they've been giving of late:

That looks... somewhat familiar...