The Street Fighter thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: The Street Fighter thread

Post by James »

Yeah, I was expecting Menat to be something more of a Rose-alike (the identities of the S2 characters have been rumoured for a while now), but she looks quite different. From what little my inexpert eyes can glean from the trailer, she looks like quite a complex character to play. Lots of set-up knowledge and forward=thinking required, I guess.

Seeing some comparisons to characters from anime fighters like Guilty Gear too. Apparently some of the Capcom SFV dev team are fans of those games, which makes a lot of sense.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

This kind of ‘ball fighter’ archetype is apparently more common than I realised. I clearly don’t play enough anime fighters, cause I’ve only really seen it with Viola in SC5.

I’m hoping Logan and the other UK boys get some playtime on stream tomorrow at Winner Stays On, though I expect given the way capcom usually work that it’ll be early morning Wednesday before she unlocks here. They usually work on midday Pacific time.
James

Post by James »

I hope so too. Seems silly not to have a little bit of a showcase for Menat, immediately before she's available.

Venom was the GG character that I heard mentioned. A little less direct a comparison than Viola, but you can see some of him here:
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Initial impression are that I will be absolutely terrible at trying to play this character.
James

Post by James »

Oh good! Well, I don't stand a chance then.

No WSO Sessions this week or next, which is a bit of a shame. I imagine Capcom UK are up to their ears in Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite release preparations and CPT events, so not entirely surprising.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

She’s easy to understand on the surface, but most of her strength is in knowing how to combo effectively with her tools. If you can’t do that, she’s going to feel pretty weak I think. Seems like she’ll suit Dhalsim players, those who know how to make an unusual set of normals work. I suspect she might have some pretty nasty vortex as well, lot of mixup options with the orbs and dive kicks to do resets.

Most of the combo videos I’ve seen so far are concentrating on good use of her v-trigger, cause they look cool.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I saw a copy of Street Fighter II: Championship Edition for the PC Engine for ¥800, and though "sure why not". Also picked up the Avenue Pad 6 controller, for that genuine, PC Engine-arcade-port experience.

And after a little bit of play, it holds up pretty well. Within the context of the power of the system, and the time the game originally came out (1992), and if this was all I had access to as a kid, I'd be pretty happy owning this version. I actually grew up with the SNES Turbo version, and it's about at that level - pretty good for a home port.

The physical card itself is like a regular Hucard, if that Hucard got knocked up and was noticeably pregnant. It's pretty cool. 20 Megabit Power!

I would honestly say this biggest issue I had with the game, had very little to do with the game itself. I've become accustomed and utterly spoilt by modern fight/joysticks, and going back to a d-pad to do quarter-circle moves(forget full-circle - I'd have to build up the calluses) can lead to a few special moves not quite getting off in time.

But for ¥800 - it's good to have this version in the collection.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: September 5th, 2017, 7:48 am 20 Megabit Power!
I read that in the Joe from Game Sack voice. :P

Sounds like a worthwhile purchase!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

All the 2d games in one collection. PS, XBO, Switch and Steam. Online play.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Shame it’s Digital Eclipse rather than M2 or someone but still.

Awesome!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'll probably end up buying it for collecting purposes, but I honestly can't see myself playing it... I could never get into the series. :(
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I won’t spoil the result of the Capcom Cup itself, cause I know some people will watch it back in the morning rather than stay up till (checks clock) 3am like I just did. (Took tomorrow off work, I’m not a total idiot). Do watch it though if you can, it was quite a thing.

But here’s the season 3 reveals.

I guess capcom have decided they can’t really control people data mining their builds and finding things out, they just straight up revealed who all the other characters in season 3 are going to be in the new intro video they’re sticking on the front of Arcade Edition:

First to be released, my Alpha and SF4 main is back... and has actually aged a bit (I guess they had to, given Karin is clearly not a teenager anymore in 5 and is meant to be the same age)
Craig

Post by Craig »

ratsoalbion wrote: December 11th, 2017, 12:06 am Shame it’s Digital Eclipse rather than M2 or someone but still.

Awesome!
Digital Eclipse did a fine job on the Megaman collection and one of the guys there (Frank Cifaldi) is really passionate about game preservation. M2 would be great, but it looks like it’s sill in good hands!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes indeed, good stuff!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Good on Capcom for at least releasing 30th Anniversary collection. Sure, we can, and will, nitpick about the quality of different ports, but at least Capcom did something.

As opposed to, oh, I don't know, just off the top of my head... Konami's 30th anniversary efforts with Castlevania? Did anyone pick up that boxset celebrating 30 years of Castlevania? :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: December 11th, 2017, 9:44 amDid anyone pick up that boxset celebrating 30 years of Castlevania? :D
:cry:
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I wondered if Sakura's outfit (with the headset mic) meant she was working as a tour guide or something, but apparently that uniform is pretty standard for people that work in arcades in Japan, and her released bio confirms that.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I want to know what the kid (little bro?) is playing in the house in the background this time.
Looked like a SF/SNES controller in the original. Need to zoom in. Probably 'generic game pad' but I wanna know.
:D
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Maximilian said it was a Nintendo switch, but it’s probably just some generic tablet thing.
James

Post by James »

Yep, Sakura works in an arcade to help pay for her education, apparently.

Really looking forward to the Season 3 and Arcade Edition additions. Sagat is a personal highlight, and I've always been a fan of Cody, whose swanky new look I really like.

Big weekend for Street Fighter. Hopefully SFV is making some important steps forward, and Capcom give us a legacy collection to write home about. Keeping everything crossed... hard!