The Street Fighter thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Street Fighter thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

Suits wrote:
ratsoalbion wrote:APPRECIATE US! ;)
I better sort out my annual Patreon donation I suppose .... :oops: .
Aw, gratefully received man!

Wasn't trying to guilt you into that!
:oops:
xxx
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Stanshall wrote:This was my favourite episode in a while. I usually listen to the show during the commute over a few days but burned through this over the course of a morning and evening. Great guest and fantastic insights. It also inspired me to get back into SFV this evening and stop jumping in!!! Four wins straight before I got vertigo and logged off.
Good going!

Thanks for the kind words.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ha ha, no, I know you weren't :lol: .

I've been meaning to do it do it for a few weeks, just kept forgetting.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Very generous man. If every listener did what you did we could really go to town with the production values!
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote:Very generous man. If every listener did what you did we could really go to town with the production values!
That won't be EVERY month man !!!

I just make one annual donation then cancel after the first month (if I remember :oops: ). I prefer doing it that way other than a small amount each month.

It's the same amount as other premium subscriptions cost to other media sites and I feel you all deserve it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I know it's an annual thing, what I said stands.
Suits

Post by Suits »

So, since the 3rd Strike podcast and the Ryan Hart interview - I've been intoxicated by Street Fighter media :twisted: .

I've almost played them all and do currently have SF5 but never really got into them. Hearing about the deeper mechanics and skill imbedded in them I've decided to give them a longer play.

I'm going to focus on the 16-BIT Super Nintendo games. I have a Scoremaster, so feel like this may be a good generation to jump in at.

My dilemma is which 16-BIT game to get. Many say that you can't go too wrong with the original SF2, although you do hear about balancing issues around Dhalsim, Blanka and Zangief. Many say that SUPER SF2 is the better as it has the larger roster - although most say that SF2T is the daddy of the generation, so I'm thinking of giving that one my attention.

I did glance at Alpha but complaints about load times and other issues about getting it all onto a cart have put me off a bit.

Can anyone give me any further advice, or recommend a version ??
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Turbo all day long if you're going SNES.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Done.

That's what I was leaning too from internet noise but wanted a more familiar recommendation.

I'll get myself a cart. I have the ROM's but LOVE the carts.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote:Turbo all day long if you're going SNES.
Yeah I'll second that. The original on SNES was very slow, Super I have never been a fan of mainly due to not really liking the new characters and it had poor imitations of the new stage music (which I thought were all poor compared to the previous) and Dee Jay made me want to smash my pad in half too much!. Turbo is by far the best version, hope some approximation of this is available on switch.

Anyway rambling now, I have Street Fighter 2 tourettes. Enjoy!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Presumably you already know this but Ultra Street Fighter 2 is coming out on the Switch this year, that must be some evolution of Turbo.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Ultra on the switch is based off HD Remix from the 360 which is based off Super.

It has balance changes though, so it won't play the same way.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Flabyo wrote:Ultra on the switch is based off HD Remix from the 360 which is based off Super.

I thought Capcom's narrative is that it's based off the original ST, not HD Remix, and that they just got the HD Remix assets from UDON?

Great to see the Street Fighter love flare up in this thread! :P Be sure to add my ID in SFV: RoodOne
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Flabyo wrote:Ultra on the switch is based off HD Remix from the 360 which is based off Super.

Yeah, I bought the HD remix but it just didn't feel right.
Suits

Post by Suits »

My Street Fighter 2 Turbo arrived.

This is in almost per**ct (I know that works is banned on here !) condition, with loads of leaflets insides.

I left the ones that seem to be games specific in the shot.

Played this for a few hours last night when I got in from work. It feels tight and cool.

Looking forward to giving it a good run through soon. I've got a mate coming round who wants to play it with me too, so it should be a good old fashioned get together.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ha, I think 'perfect' is fine when describing the objective physical condition of an item!

Wow man, that's beautiful!
:)
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: Wow man, that's beautiful!
Yeah, the box is still so tight I did at first think it was a reproduction box. It came in one of those plastic box protectors too, which is maybe why its in such a decent condition.

I'm going to have a few more run throughs's, then take a look at some of the more detailed tactics online I think.

Got stuck on Ken last night, playing as Ryu, Ken was just throwing fireballs in pairs, then stringing back to back hurricane kicks and dragon punches :lol: , had me proper beat he did over and over again.

It felt like I literally hit wall. Things were going well then I came up against him as the last fight before the traditional bosses section and I was ended over and over again.

Felt like I was making progress though, slowed my play a bit and started looking at what worked against him.

I find self control and mastering the urge to go all out attack is key to this :lol: .
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Where do you live, can I come round?
;)
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote:Where do you live, can I come round?
;)
By all means mate, more than happy to share the love.

I've picked up a second Scoremaster too 8-) .
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Suits wrote:
ratsoalbion wrote: Wow man, that's beautiful!
Yeah, the box is still so tight I did at first think it was a reproduction box. It came in one of those plastic box protectors too, which is maybe why its in such a decent condition.
Second-hand Japanese games are always in immaculate condition! Which is to say that when you go and buy game at Mandarake, for example, you will see some people behind the counter cleaning out carts and placing games and whatnot on protective covers, etc... there's a level of care that has not necessary come to the west when it come to second-hand shopping!

Nice buy! :D