The Cane and Rinse Periodical Issue Four

Here's where you can download each of the available issues of the Cane and Rinse Periodical.
JaySevenZero
Admin

The Cane and Rinse Periodical Issue Four

Post by JaySevenZero » January 7th, 2013, 11:13 am

A new year so here's a new Periodical!

THE CANE & RINSE PERIODICAL ISSUE FOUR

Within the digital pages of this here fourth issue of the Periodical are some selected highlights from our blog. Written offerings such as our Hitman Absolution and Far Cry 3 reviews courtesy of James Carter, Joshua Garrity’s Darksiders II review and Darren Forman’s preview of Proteus. There are also a couple of reflective year end features in the guise of Sean O’Brien’s take on some of the more interesting soundtracks of 2012 and Leon Cox’s personal summation up of his last twelve months of video gaming. We also have video in the form of Darren Gargette’s Quick Rinse of the quirky, non-sensical McPixel and to finish it all off we have also added a couple of podcast samplers containing the first thirty minutes of two of our past podcasts covering Cave Story and Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

As is always the case, your general thoughts and feedback about the Periodical, podcast and Cane & Rinse in general, will always be greatly appreciated and help guide us to make improvements as we try to develop our site and these formats further.

Unfortunately, as has been the case with the previous issues, a fully-functioning version of the Periodical is still pretty much exclusive for those of you with iPads*. However, there’s also a download link for the .pdf version too for those of you without access to one yet still interested in taking a look. Although the .PDF** format only allows for active hyperlinks and none of the other multimedia stuff (audio, video) that is only available in the iBook version.

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE iBOOK ISSUE FOUR HERE Size: 260Mb

For those of you who are without an iPad but are just curious anyway;

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE .PDF ISSUE FOUR HERE Size: 14.7Mb

*iOS5 & iBooks are also necessary to view the content

** For those of you who may view the .pdf version reduce the scale to 60% for it to resemble the actual iPad screen size.

And finally, a brief reminder that currently the Periodical is designed to be read in the landscape orientation only on the iPad and not in portrait, this will be the last time this is an issue as a recent update allows for portrait orientation too – but wasn’t realised until it the Periodical was completed.

Sean

Re: The Cane and Rinse Periodical Issue Four

Post by Sean » January 8th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Looks fantastic dude. I *love* these.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero » January 8th, 2013, 5:14 pm

Thanks Sean.

As is always the case my aim is to make the next one even better still! :)

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 3rd, 2013, 5:37 pm

This is the first time I've downloaded one of these. It's brilliant! Excellently put together, really good looking. I'd read the reviews on the site, previously, but I enjoyed Leon's 2012 and the other bits. Look forward to the next one, and I'll definitely be looking back over the first three too. Good work!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 3rd, 2013, 6:13 pm

Thanks Alex - Jay sure puts a ton of work into these.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero » February 5th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Thanks for checking it out man and I appreciate the positive feedback. It's one of those things we thought if it can be done, then why not try it and attempt to do something a little different. Besides, it gives me chance to experiment a little with the iBook Author software too.

Dapcmaniac

Post by Dapcmaniac » March 21st, 2013, 4:12 am

I heard the promo for this on one of your podcasts (ive been going through some of the backlog) and am downloading it now. I will take a look tomorrow.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero » March 21st, 2013, 9:02 am

Thanks, please let us know what you think of it afterwards, I'm always trying to think of different ways these can be improved upon.

Dapcmaniac

Post by Dapcmaniac » March 24th, 2013, 4:30 pm

I have read about half the periodical thus far (syncing it to iTunes was a massive pain. That's a me problem, not the periodical).

I will right up my full thoughts once I am fully done. However I wanted to share my first impression that this was massively well done and substantially better than I would have initially guessed. It also helped me understand the file size.

Dapcmaniac

Post by Dapcmaniac » April 3rd, 2013, 6:33 pm

My apologies on the delay. Its been a long long workweek. I finished the periodical a bit ago I just havent had time to sit down with some thoughts. I wanted to provide some proper feedback since it was very obvious that a ton of work went into this. Luckily (or unlikely) I was at the dentist this morning and thus am waiting for the drugs to wear off before I can properly work today.

My initial impression was a little bit of shock at the size of the file. I had heard the periodical promoted in a couple of podcasts before I decided to go and download it, and in my mind I thought it was going to be something along the lines of a newsletter rather than a full on document.

Overall I was hugely impressed with the quality that went into this, from the actually layout and formatting of the periodicals to the document themselves. After opening it, my question on file size was immediately answered.

The inclusion of podcasts snippets was really nice. As a relatively new listener to your podcasts this was a good snapshot into some of your episodes that I have not listened to yet. I might suggest cutting the opening music from each one? If i've heard the podcast I know your intro. Hearing it weekly on the podcast is great, but if I sit down and go through your periodical in one sitting, im listening the intro multiple times. Its good music, it just gets repetitive in one sitting. Smaller audio sizes might help with overall document size as well.

The 'quick rinse' was also new for me, something I liked seeing included.

The articles themselves were well crafted. I enjoyed perusing each one but tended to prefer the Features over the Reviews. This had less to do with the author and more to do with the subject matter. I didn't get a sense that reviews fit in well here since reviews seem to be a better fit for the web. I didn't see the advantage of having reviews in a periodical vs online. The features were nice because they gave better insight into the author through their comments and selection of items. It makes things more personal and I feel compliments what I learn about your preferences through the regular podcasts.

Again I have to restate I was very pleasantly surprised at what a high quality piece of work this is. It far exceeded my expectations. The core issue that comes back to me is why does something need to be in a periodical vs an article on your website, especially since the periodical is a few more steps to access? The features are a good draw, as well as the integration of podcast samplers. More items that are exclusive to the periodical would help, such as a guest or featured writer (i assume everyone who wrote is a host on the podcast), or articles that focus on the author's personal interests in gaming.

I eagerly await the next periodical. I also apologize if some of this was rambling as my pain medication wore off and pain began setting in as I started typing.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero » April 8th, 2013, 1:13 pm

No need to apologise, this is exactly the kind of feedback I like to get and I appreciate you taking the time to write it down.

The size of each issue is something I have spent a lot of time mulling over and have reduced it considerably over the various issues so far but I expect it'll stay around the 200/300 Mb mark for the foreseeable future as the importing of media such as audio and video into it inevitably leads to the bigger file. The reduction is what initially lead me to trim the podcasts into tasters rather than having the whole thing in there to begin with. I also agree with your comment for the theme music so I'll most likely address this for the next one.

Anyway, glad you liked it, the next one shouldn't be that far off now.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » April 11th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Superb bit of user feedback, there! :-)
Xbox Live Gamertag: dezm0nd
PSN ID: Gargette
Switch friend code: SW-6677-5961-4588