Papo & Yo - Cane and Rinse 124

Archive for issues 101 - 150
JaySevenZero
Vanguard

Papo & Yo - Cane and Rinse 124

Post by JaySevenZero » April 20th, 2014, 3:17 pm

"To my mother, brothers and sister, with whom I survived the monster in my father."

In this issue of the podcast Leon, Tony, James and Sean talk about what Vander Caballero's hugely personal fable Papo & Yo means to them. As usual we also hear from some of our Cane and Rinse forumites and Twitter followers on the topic of Minority Media's platform-puzzler of fatherly failings.

Additional audio used in this show is as follows:

Track 1: A Strange New World by Brian D'Oliveira
Track 2: Liberation (La Muerte De Papo) by Brian D'Oliveira

Cane and Rinse 124 was edited by Sean O'Brien.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Tleprie
Guardian

Re: Papo & Yo - Cane and Rinse 124

Post by Tleprie » June 20th, 2017, 2:55 am

I just played through Papo & Yo tonight. I went in knowing almost nothing, other than thinking it was a fairly serious/emotional game, a la Brothers. I'm going to give this issue a listen, and then will probably give some more of my own thoughts on it.

Tleprie
Guardian

Post by Tleprie » June 20th, 2017, 5:43 am

Listened to the podcast, and I think pretty much all of my thoughts, both praise and gripes, were echoed by the various panelists, but I'll still share my thoughts.

Aside from going in knowing that there was serious subject matter (which was immediately made clear in the opening text and scene), I also checked roughly how long of a game it was, as I wanted something to play tonight that I could finish in one sitting. Had I not known the length, I may have stopped about halfway through.

The first 45-60 minutes were very compelling. I enjoyed the platforming well enough, and really liked the setting and character designs. While not technically the most polished, they still felt like they had character. I especially enjoyed every instance, up to the end, of the buildings sprouting legs and re-arranging themselves. they were adorable.

I thought the opening scene of Quico in the closet set the tone very well, but then I never really felt that tone again in the game. The world he escapes to never feels dangerous, and I kept expecting it to jump back to the closet, to see how he was handling things in the real world. Instead the game continued on with longer puzzles and platforming that went from charming to frustrating.
As the areas grew larger I felt the puzzles just bogged me down. While I enjoyed the world, I wanted to be moving through it, not stuck in one area for ten minutes, to go to another similar area for another ten.

The metaphors of the monster and the frogs were fairly clear, but never felt particularly impactful. They quickly just became more puzzle mechanics. Its entirely personal preference, but I usually prefer a game either tell me a story, or give me a game to play.

Likewise, the ending did little for me. The tram car/house scene felt over extended, with sad music that just seemed to be saying "here, this is where you feel something".

While I've dealt with (and in small ways continue to deal with) similar family issues, it hasn't been to the degree of, or in the same manner that the game portrays, which may explain some of my inability to become invested.

Clearly this game isn't for me, but despite all of the criticisms I have of it I am glad it exists, has found a supportive audience, and I hope the end product is as close to what the creator envisioned.

Sean
Master Rahool

Post by Sean » June 20th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Yeah, that's all fair enough. Games and stories like these aren't going to resonate the same way for everyone. I'm glad you played it, though.