The Last of Us - Cane and Rinse 144

Archive for issues 101 - 150
JaySevenZero
Admin

The Last of Us - Cane and Rinse 144

Post by JaySevenZero » September 7th, 2014, 1:58 pm

“It doesn't matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.”

Oft-requested, once delayed, here at last is our podcast devoted to Naughty Dog's critically acclaimed The Last of Us.
Leon, Jay, Josh and Sean talk about the story, the cut-scenes, the performances and - yes - the gameplay, in both vanilla PS3 and PS4 Remastered releases. We also touch upon the multiplayer and share a glut of fantastic community posts reflecting some extreme opinions on the game, both positive and negative.

Additional audio used in this show is as follows:

Track 1: The Last of Us (Goodnight) by Gustavo Santaolalla
Track 2: The Path (A New Beginning) by Gustavo Santaolalla

Cane and Rinse 144 was edited by Jay Taylor.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Nekemancer

Re: The Last of Us - Cane and Rinse 144

Post by Nekemancer » September 16th, 2014, 4:59 pm

Interestingly, my main takeaway from this episode can be summed up with a single word. Subtle. For such a graphically violent, combat and straight up murder heavy game, you all said many aspects of the game were subtle, understated, downplayed and other synonyms. And you're absolutely right.

It's a wonderful blend of the over-the-top and subtle makes for a story that, although doing little new, does it all perfectly.

Excellent show as usual!

arry_g

Post by arry_g » September 16th, 2014, 5:41 pm

I can't remember who now, maybe it was Josh got stuck with reading my overly long, unedited opinion of the game. From the bottom of my heart, I am sorry - you really seemed to struggle!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 16th, 2014, 5:50 pm

My fault really, I should have pruned it more, but I didn't want to lose any of the substance.

arry_g

Post by arry_g » September 16th, 2014, 6:14 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:My fault really, I should have pruned it more, but I didn't want to lose any of the substance.
Hmmm... it's something I need to be aware of with opinions on here, only really where I know shows are coming up I think. I love listening to you guys and I love hearing the community's opinions reflected on your shows but this one made me aware that by doing what Kojima dares not and self-editing every once in a while it makes things easier for you personally (less 'pruning') and for whatever poor fella may end up getting my opinion dropped on his lap.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » September 16th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Don't worry Arry it happens to the best of us. There's been shows where I could've waffled on for 1000's of words but haven't I've either said little or nothing. It's great to see people's passion for a game on here even if it doesn't make the episode.

Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 » September 17th, 2014, 10:32 pm

Just finished the game , looking forward to catching up with the podcast.

Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil » September 18th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Just finished listening last night and in regards to the ending in the hospital
Spoiler: show
I got the impression, from listening to the tape recording I found! that Ellie wasn't the only person with the immunity. To me it sounded like they had tried before a few times so I wasn't going to let Ellie die for something that had failed before.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » September 19th, 2014, 8:35 pm

What?

RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y » January 4th, 2016, 4:38 pm

Well,
I had been interested in the game for a while, but not owning a PS3 or knowing anyone with who wanted to do a console swap, it wasn't until this was kindly gifted to me after having picked up a PS4 that I finally got around to playing it.

This was back towards the end of 2014 and despite initially playing the game quite a bit, a combination of the rather gut wrenching opening along with family and job demands, I found the game rather tense and whenever I lost sight of Ellie, I found myself worrying. Kudos to the game I guess for gently prodding at my parental urges. I found myself being killed rather a lot and got frustrated.
The game took up a sad spot on the gaming back burner and I kinda forgot about it.

Cut towards the end of last year, and I was making a point of not buying any of the new shiny games in silly season until I'd actually finished some of the acclaimed games I already own.

I bumped the game down to easy and started playing again, and I'm glad that I did.
I still find the game made me feel somewhat uneasy at times, but I think that's the irrationally over-protective parent in me.
I found the relationship between Joel and Ellie changing throughout the game to be the most interesting part. Joel seems to have learned survival by becoming ruthless and cold. Ellie is a tween who is just trying to get by, let alone trying to wrestle with the difficulties of the loss of people around he she has cared for, she seemed to be always looking to Joel for emotional support and Joel pretty much gives away nothing right up until Autumn, where the first actual chance you get as Joel to interact with Ellie in a way that's not just pushing the plot forwards. I actually wonder if anyone out there walked right past Ellie on the damn, and didn't give her a high five?

When I was playing as Joel pinned into the underwater in the sinking bus I could actually feel myself tense when Ellie jumped onto the doors and started muttering to myself "get off the bus, it's going to sink..."
I found the cut scene that followed said a lot about the relationship between Joel and Ellie, even with a gun pointed at his head, he wasn't going to stop trying to save her.
The walk through he hospital was horrible, having the sinking feeling that I might not make it in time to see Ellie again. I was really fearing that the game was going to put me in a position where I had to make the decision.
When you get near the operating theatre you can pick up several audio recorders, each of which give some really good background information to the story. There's the head of surgery who is fascinated by Ellie and wants to find out why she is different, I believe he says something to the effect of "we need to remove the cordyceps and see if we can repeat this under lab conditions...", which to me alludes to the fact that even if Ellie is the only one who has been immune, the guy is working on a hunch. Surely there are other ways to run tests first?
I felt that was backed up by the second recorder you find, where the support surgeon says that what's happening is barbaric and un-necessary, and how she's morally struggling to be part of the project.

When I got to the operating room, I stopped, paused the game, and put the controller down. I sent a message to MrMcFluffin (who bought me the game), saying I didn't want to go through with the next part of the game and that it just didn't seem fair. I understand that Ellie may be the Key to save humanity, but surely it didn't have to be like this? surely I'm not going to have to decide? :(
I walked into the room, and the surgeon ran at me, started waving a knife, started shouting that I couldn't do this... I thought that I was watching a cut-scene, so initially didn't do anything, then I noticed that I still had the automatic rifle equipped.
In hindsight, I wish I'd had the forethought to record the videoclip of what happened, perhaps if I watched it back, I would feel ashamed that after I shot the surgeon, I moved on to shoot the secondary surgeon, who I knew was already feeling uncomfortable with the situation... Perhaps I would have cringed as I watched myself empty the last of the clip into the orderly (who was cowering under the operating table) before picking up Ellie and booting it out the door like my teeth were on fire...

I ended up having a long chat with the wife (who was watching me play through most of the game) about if I did the right thing.
It's difficult, the rationalist in me says that it's the cost of one life against the lives of many, and that you need to do what you have to for the greater good, but, from listening to the audio recording, it just felt like even if I did let the surgeon go through with it would there be a cure?
The parent in me said that I'd do whatever I had to too keep Ellie safe, regardless of if she was my actual daughter or not, but I don't think that really you even have to lean too heavily on the parental aspect. Ellie and Joel have been in each other's company for over a year, they've both saved each others lives on several occasions, and when the world is falling apart, you do what you have to.
In the closing of the game, the long shot of Joel driving the car where after a long pause, he lets out a massive sigh, it made me feel like he was sharing the same feelings of doubt that I was feeling at the time. The final exchange between Joel and Ellie was brilliantly put together.

It's a game experience that's going to stick with me for a long time for sure...

Sean

Post by Sean » January 5th, 2016, 6:31 pm

Well said, Robotic. I love how divisive the ending can be, yet, still, most people seem to appreciate it. Just, whether or not you agree with Joel's choice seems to be the divisive part.

RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y » January 6th, 2016, 9:13 am

Sean wrote:Well said, Robotic. I love how divisive the ending can be, yet, still, most people seem to appreciate it. Just, whether or not you agree with Joel's choice seems to be the divisive part.
I spent most of the journey through the hospital worrying I would have to make the choice, but in hindsight, I'm actually really glad that you don't get to choose, I also like how Joel tied up the story in the car park...
"It doesn't have to be like this Joel..."
"It does, you'd only come looking for her..." BANG!
Brutal, absolutely brutal.