Brütal Legend - Cane and Rinse 146

Archive for issues 101 - 150
JaySevenZero
Admin

Brütal Legend - Cane and Rinse 146

Post by JaySevenZero » September 21st, 2014, 3:00 pm

"Ugh! It smells like a whale... ate some cabbage... and died in your mouth... like a year ago!"

Darren, Brian, Ryan and Jay discuss Double Fine Productions' ambitious third-person action adventure game - Brütal Legend. They talk about their thoughts regarding the game's troubled production, the controversial inclusion of the real-time strategy gameplay and the critical response once it was released. Of course, you couldn't have a discussion about this game and not talk about it's metal-tastic soundtrack. We've also the opinions offered by our community and our usual Twitter-based three word reviews.

Additional audio used in this show is as follows:

Track 1: Die for Metal by Manowar
Track 2: Murmaider by Dethklok
Track 3: Through the Fire and Flames by DragonForce
Track 4: Tornado of Souls by Megadeth
Track 5: Kickstart My Heart by Mötley Crüe

Cane and Rinse 146 was edited by Ryan Hamann.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Sean

Re: Brütal Legend - Cane and Rinse 146

Post by Sean » September 23rd, 2014, 1:45 pm

I might have to give this another shot. I grew up listening to metal, so, I feel like I should appreciate it more than I do. DoubleFine games just don't click with me, for some reason.

Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus » September 24th, 2014, 2:31 pm

Great podcast, guys. Really enjoyed this when it came out, even if I felt the basic gameplay was lacking. I bought the game not long after shelling out a bit of money on a new home cinema set-up, and driving around with the roar of the car mixed with some heavy metal coming out of the rear speakers is one of my favourite gaming memories.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » September 28th, 2014, 1:49 pm

I was one of the people who got totally put off by the RTS elements of this game. Somehow I managed to completely miss all of that info pre-release, but absolutely loved the idea of a heavy metal action adventure game. I really wanted to like the game as a love letter to metal, with pretty much the best soundtrack in any game when it came to that genre, but I just really did not enjoy the RTS stuff at all, and felt pretty put off by the fact that it was even there. Like I had been lied to or something. But maybe I'll give it another go after listening to this episode.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » October 1st, 2014, 9:19 pm

Just got around to listening to the podcast. Really enjoyed it. Great work as always guys! Nice to hear it from the perspective of players without my passion for metal too. And clearly some with it as well. I'm also in the camp of having no interest in RTS - found these sections as irritating as having to do puzzles in Uncharted! Sounds like I completely fluked the last one though. I seem to remember having little idea of what I was doing but got through it without any problems first time.