Dragon Age: Origins - Cane and Rinse 149

Archive for issues 101 - 150
JaySevenZero
Admin

Dragon Age: Origins - Cane and Rinse 149

Post by JaySevenZero » October 12th, 2014, 11:29 am

“We now have a dog and Alistair is still the dumbest one in the party.”

Ahead of the forthcoming Inquisition (which we are expecting), Leon, Jay, Tony and guest Gary Blower of Gameburst journey back to the Ferelden of yore. BioWare’s dark high fantasy Dragon Age: Origins burst forth in 2009 and provided gamers with countless hours of epic Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones/Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay style adventuring. Hark as the panel discuss the whole Origins gamut, including dlc, and of course as ever we also share missives from the Cane and Rinse community.

Additional audio used in this show is as follows:

Track 1: Leliana Sings by Inon Zur featuring Aubrey Ashburn
Track 2: Dragon Age Origins by Inon Zur featuring Aubrey Ashburn

Cane and Rinse 149 was edited by Jay Taylor.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Todinho

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Cane and Rinse 149

Post by Todinho » October 13th, 2014, 2:37 am

Just finnished listening to the podcast,great stuff even if I would have liked if you guys went more depth about the plot(mainly the side plots)and the characters but still great,it was interesting hearing from a different perpective after so long I almost forgot how diffucult the game can be for a newcomer for me however I found normal to be too easy so I usually play on hard or nightmare and even then I dont find the game super challenging,but yeah if you're playing on higher difficulties micro-managing is vital which means pausing combat every few seconds to issue new commands but the real key is learning to use magic(especially ice magic)to your advantage and learning which characters to abuse(mainly Wynn and Shale).

Also while DAO does bring a bit of Game of thrones to high fantasy the title of most Game of thrones-like game still belongs to Final Fantasy tactics,it doesnt have the sex and violence but the core of game of thrones is there!And even if we take this game out the equation the Witcher series has DAO beat in almost every Game of thrones aspect,to tell the truth even though I really like DAO after playing the Witcher the politics in DAO lost a bit of it's appeal to me,speaking of which if anyone is looking for more political stuff and choices that actually matter with branching paths I really recommend the Witcher series(mainly 2 the first game is a little hard to come back now)it does all that really well and in my honest opinion better then Bioware or Telltale have ever done,I know many people have problems getting into the game because the gameplay can be really difficult but if you can get past that it's really worth it.

And I noticed you guys got a bit disappointed not having any negative correspondence in this one but dont worry if you ever decide to do a DA2 podcast I'll make sure you guys have that end covered ;)

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » October 13th, 2014, 9:21 am

It's a game I never really got on with, but I couldn't find any way to word what it is I don't like about it. Still can't really, just one of those 'gut' things I think.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » October 13th, 2014, 2:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Todinho: I probably shouldn't have mentioned GoT as - having never seen or read it - I was talking out of my hat really!

Actually I was using that hugely popular show as a crutch to try to get some more people into the idea of playing DA:O, which was a bit cheeky really, given my lack of knowledge of GRR Martin's work!

Having said that, a couple of my friends who are into GoT have told me that they enjoyed the goings-on of DA in a similar-ish vein.

As for going deeper into plot points and discussing individual races, we would have enjoyed that and it may well have enhanced the show, however it was doing that sort of stuff which used to see the show going on for two to three hours or more which we decided is too much of a commitment to ask of either our editors or our listeners!

Glad you enjoyed the show anyway Tod.
:)

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » October 23rd, 2014, 11:41 pm

I'm never likely to play this now, but I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this today. Good work, guys. Very informative, and another gap in my gaming history knowledge is plugged!