Halo 3 - Cane and Rinse 185

Archive for issues 151 - 200
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero » July 19th, 2015, 9:20 am

“Wake me… when you need me.”

Halo 3 saw the Master Chief’s debut on the Xbox 360, surfing in on a tidal wave of hype. Though Bungie didn’t even quite manage to bestow the ‘next gen’ game with ‘HD ready’ graphics, Halo 3 arrived to stellar reviews and spectacular sales, not to mention more than a little piracy. Leon, Darren, Josh, Karl, Tony and a covenant of contributors remember 2007’s frenzy of cat helmets and Forge modes, as well as ruminating upon their recent return to the game as part of The Master Chief Collection.

Additional audio used in this show is as follows:

Track 1: Never Forget by Martin McDonnell

Cane and Rinse 185 was edited by Sean O'Brien.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead

Flabyo

Re: Halo 3 - Cane and Rinse 185

Post by Flabyo » July 19th, 2015, 12:36 pm

Wish I'd had the time to put together some proper thoughts for this one, as I would've mentioned this:

There was a really excellent interactive fly through of the diorama on the Halo website, sadly long since lost to history.

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » July 20th, 2015, 3:46 pm

Another fantastic show, guys! Really loving these Halo retrospectives.

I pissed myself laughing at the little existential tangent towards the end of the episode, and it really struck a nerve. I know exactly what Josh was getting at - unless I'm on a long flight or off work ill I find it very hard to sit playing videogames for hours at a time these days without that same vague, gnawing sense of despair. Thought it just me! :lol:

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 20th, 2015, 4:15 pm

Thanks dude.

Yeah I've had those same doubts for years but ultimately, unless you really are going to spend your time volunteering in a developing, war-torn country or something, the way in which you piss your time away on this pointless spinning globe might as well be that which you find most enjoyable.

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter » July 21st, 2015, 10:11 am

The logical side of my brain knows this. But it's real hard to ignore that little voice. :)

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » July 21st, 2015, 5:32 pm

I think for me it's that nagging sense that I've got important stuff I should be doing instead, and I find it harder and harder to switch off. I think Graham Linehan described it very well - videogames get you into that same flow state you feel when you're working really hard on something, but the difference is that at the end you haven't actually accomplished anything. Thankfully occasionally something like GTA V will come along which can snap me out of this mindset and get my full attention though!

Really looking forward to hearing the ODST, Reach and especially Halo 4 episodes. It's been interesting so far that Leon's views on the whole franchise mirror mine almost exactly.

I feel like I came across a bit too negative in my feedback on the Halo 2 ep - it's still a fantastic game, just that it totally failed to deliver on the promise of the original for me. Does anyone else rememebr the E3 2003 demo? It looked so exciting and seemed to retain that same huge scale the first game had. I was so disappointed that the eventual Earth levels did not resemble the demo at all!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 21st, 2015, 5:42 pm

KissMammal wrote:I think for me it's that nagging sense that I've got important stuff I should be doing instead, and I find it harder and harder to switch off. I think Graham Linehan described it very well - videogames get you into that same flow state you feel when you're working really hard on something, but the difference is that at the end you haven't actually accomplished anything. Thankfully occasionally something like GTA V will come along which can snap me out of this mindset and get my full attention though!
I know exactly what you mean.

I think perhaps Cane and Rinse exists as much as anything because it somehow 'justifies' my lifelong dedication to videogames in that hopefully it provides something informative and engaging for other people.

I'm not sure if this all sounds hugely self-centred, or like false modesty, or cringingly altruistic, but I think there's something in it.

Although podcasting is undoubtedly a little about the ego for me, I don't feel that I have the same level of 'having' to broadcast and assert my opinions as some podcasty types. It's as much about the need to create something and share the experience (as well as hearing others' experiences).

Edit: I'm not fishing for compliments or approval here either btw, just musing aloud so to speak.

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » July 22nd, 2015, 6:42 pm

I think perhaps Cane and Rinse exists as much as anything because it somehow 'justifies' my lifelong dedication to videogames in that hopefully it provides something informative and engaging for other people.

I'm not sure if this all sounds hugely self-centred, or like false modesty, or cringingly altruistic, but I think there's something in it.
No, I totally get where you're coming from. And I should make it clear that I certainly don't think videogames are a 'waste of time' any more so than lots of other hobbies and pastimes. I think it speaks more to the individuals own age and personal anxieties. It's interesting to talk about anyway - it's something that's been lurking in the back of my subconcious for so long now it tickled me to hear it expressed aloud on the show.

fieldy

Post by fieldy » July 23rd, 2015, 10:13 am

Another superb show guys - cheers!

I've just finished listening and I want to echo some of the sentiment offered by others by saying that this game in particular is really important to me.

It wasn't enough to just get the 'Cat helmet' edition oh no, I dropped even more cash on the halo 3 limited edition console too! (Which some years later was killed by fallout 3!) this game represents my later years working for Gamestation and as such, working with a group of like minded people we would always organise multiplayer matches or co-op play throughs of the campaign, I have so may fond memories of me and my friends/ colleagues playing this game to death!

I still found myself playing this game several years later with the approach of Reach (Which was to take the place of favourite Halo game) however this game still stands up as one of my favourite gaming experiences of all time!

apologies for going off topic but I just wanted to share a couple of photos from Halo 3's launch that will always make me laugh:

This was the Halo e delivery a few days before release, we had an entire delivery dedicated to halo stuff, action figures, belt buckles, wallets you name it!

This was all the cat helmet or legendary editions we got, these were all sold day one!

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » July 25th, 2015, 12:20 am

After being underwhelmed by Halo 4 and growing a bit burned out on the franchise in general a thought struck me for what might get me interested in buying a singleplayer Halo again.

It's total pie in the sky, but imagine a true open world Halo game, taking design cues from (the excellent) ODST, but set on an actual Halo. As in, a fully rendered ringworld with mountain ranges, oceans, installations, arctic tundras, forests and swamps. Really fulfil the promise of Combat Evolved. A persistent battle between Covenant, Flood and human forces going on in the background with epic set-piece battles, each faction vying for control of sectors and bringing in reinforcements. Various collectibles, secret areas and lots of exploration. Contrive a reason for the player to have to gradually circumnavigate the whole thing, establishing checkpoints as they go, with fast-travel backtracking between those checkpoints and outposts enabled by hitching a ride on a Pelican.

Obviously they'd have to cheat the scale a bit - make huge areas of it inaccessible etc - but just imagine how awesome that could potentially be!

Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo » July 25th, 2015, 2:56 am

Day one purchaser right here.

Ghost World

Post by Ghost World » August 1st, 2015, 11:25 pm

KissMammal wrote:After being underwhelmed by Halo 4 and growing a bit burned out on the franchise in general a thought struck me for what might get me interested in buying a singleplayer Halo again.
For as much as a fan I am when it comes to the Halo series I'm also pretty burned out, Halo 4 was pretty uninspiring and all the games in the series seem to be chasing the magic that made combat evolved such a masterpiece.

The little footage I've seen of the Halo 5 campaign makes the game look very confined which is a little concerning but the new MP mode called Warzone has you evolved in not just PVP combat but secondary A.I conflicts which looks super interesting.

I guess we shall find out how Microsoft sees the franchise progressing in the next few months.

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » August 4th, 2015, 3:43 pm

Ghost World wrote:
KissMammal wrote:After being underwhelmed by Halo 4 and growing a bit burned out on the franchise in general a thought struck me for what might get me interested in buying a singleplayer Halo again.
For as much as a fan I am when it comes to the Halo series I'm also pretty burned out, Halo 4 was pretty uninspiring and all the games in the series seem to be chasing the magic that made combat evolved such a masterpiece.

The little footage I've seen of the Halo 5 campaign makes the game look very confined which is a little concerning but the new MP mode called Warzone has you evolved in not just PVP combat but secondary A.I conflicts which looks super interesting.

I guess we shall find out how Microsoft sees the franchise progressing in the next few months.
Maybe I'm being a bit unfair, but I feel like the Halo series has lost it's way a bit. Much as I loved Reach I felt like they were starting to play catch-up with Call Of Duty rather than focussing on the core strengths of what made Halo special and unique in the first place - the vast, wide-open level design, simple unobtrusive narrative, emergent combat, relatively slow, weighty turn/movement speed etc etc.