Halo 4 - Cane and Rinse 197

Archive for issues 151 - 200
JaySevenZero
Admin

Halo 4 - Cane and Rinse 197

Post by JaySevenZero » October 11th, 2015, 4:04 pm

“Before this is over, promise me you’ll figure out which one of us is the machine.”

Concluding our run of Halo podcasts ahead of the release of Halo 5: Guardians, we turn our attention to Halo 4. Leon, Darren, Josh Karl and Tony – along with our ever-reliable community members – discuss how 343 Industries fared in picking up the Master Chief’s weighty mantle from Bungie.

Music used in this issue:

Track 1: Requiem by Neil Davidge and Kazuma Jinnouchi

Track 2: Push Through by Neil Davidge and Kazuma Jinnouchi

Cane and Rinse 197 was edited by Jay Taylor.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

RoboticMonk3y

Re: Halo 4 - Cane and Rinse 197

Post by RoboticMonk3y » October 12th, 2015, 7:09 am

This episode was exactly 2 hours long, which greatly pleases my OCD :)
Good show guys, thanks for reading out my (maybe a little too sarcastic) feedback.
It sure was in interesting show this week, I've always been under the impression that I was in the minority for not liking halo 4, but it seems that I'm not the only one.

While I agree that the halo lore is vast and prolific, I don't think that excuses how badly the game story was delivered. If anything it makes it worse, the story is already written, just make sure you do a good job of telling it!

Anyways, it was good to hear passionate debate from both sides of the argument,
Keep up the great work guys :)

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » October 12th, 2015, 10:44 am

Really good show, its always fun when you have a good split of views (not that episodes that are universal in praise are bad, it's just fun to have something different sometimes).

"Forward unto Dawn" is on Netflix UK if you haven't seen it. I actually think it worked better as it was originally released (a series of short web episodes over a period of weeks) rather than edited into a single movie, and it definitely has a bit of a 'fan made' vibe to it, but it was fun enough.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » October 12th, 2015, 8:26 pm

Well that certainly was some very heated discussion, especially towards the start there.

On Cortana, I'm kind of torn on it. I agree that I think they did a better job than usual at characterising her in this game than previously. Seeing her change and fall apart was... at least presented well with good voice acting, but I felt like they bungled the resolution. It just never seem to come to anything in the end. Her rampancy doesn't seem to affect anything through almost the whole game. They just tease that something isn't right all the way through the game, but whatever they're trying to tease never seems to come. I was expecting or hoping that Cortana would maybe turn on you, and become something of an unreliable narrator. But nothing like that happens, and instead things go the way they would have anyway, except Cortana occasionally has an "episode". Then at the end they pull something of a deus ex machina by having her split herself apart. It's never mentioned or discussed before then, and it doesn't seem unreasonable at all that it could have saved her somehow.

The mention of audio design brings me to something I've been thinking about for a long time with this game, and a lot of others too. Again I'm somewhat conflicted about the sound design in the game. One the one hand, it's pretty great. It's punchy and crisp, and has a sense of impact and clarity that none of the other games have had before. But it lacks character. I'm not completely sure why. It could be because with the way they've done it, they took out the richness and depth of the audio from previous games. If you try to think of the sounds of the weapons in previous games (especially Covenant) they very clearly come to mind. In 4 you can't really imagine their exact sounds, outside of that punchiness that everything has, with a few exceptions. The Needler still sounds good, as do a couple of the Promethean weapons. But generally nothing really stands out as being anywhere near as unique and memorable. But another reason why I get this impression from the sound design could simply be that pretty much all shooters sound like that now. They all go for this short, restrained, punchy sound. Halo 4 just sounds like another one of them. Doesn't necessarily mean it lacks personality, but rather it has the same personality as everything else. Or are those basically the same thing? Maybe.

RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y » October 13th, 2015, 7:20 am

Well, it's a shame, there has been further heated discussion on twitter, but it's not jumped over to the forum.

I can understand why the people deeply delving into the lore are pointing out how the game story is very deep, you just have to dig a little deeper then just rolling through the game.
I think the problem I have with that, is that I think there would have been more than enough opportunity at the opening cut scene of the game to make me want to engage with the story. "while you were out, here's what you've missed.." explain who the Didact is, and why I should be bothered about him. I understand that there is all this information in the hidden terminals, but they're hidden.
If the terminals were lit up beacons that I had to push my way past, then shame on me for not taking time to read into the story, but they're hidden.

Forward unto dawn was a great mini series, and I enjoyed it, but it seemed the whole story was put in place to introduce one character, a character than in the game felt throw-away. 10 million dollars on telling a story, and they still didn't manage to tell me the story.

You can say that 343 were in a no-win situation, and that they already had a story that they couldn't change, because the book were already there, but then you can also turn around and say that the story was already written for them, and somehow they managed to completely leave the story out.

I dunno, it's wonderful how passionate people have been over the game, but I just don't get it.