The videogame music thread

Here's where you can discuss and share music from videogames
MauricioMM

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by MauricioMM »

ratsoalbion wrote:Can I have your favourite 'feel good' / happy tunes from videogames please?
From the top of my head I can suggest four songs, one from Silent Hill 3, another from Mirror’s Edge Catalyst and two from Undertale. Yeah, I can’t get enough of Undertale!

"End of Small Sanctuary", by Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill 3)

A mesmerizing and immensely nostalgic track. The song that marks the last moment of innocence in Heather’s life.

"The View District", by Solar Fields (Mirror’s Edge Catalyst).

WARNING: Very long but very cool track :) I haven’t played this game yet but I had to listen to some of its tracks as soon as its OST released.

"Chill", by Toby Fox (Undertale)

A pleasantly unexpected track in a pleasantly unexpected part of the game, provided you followed the pacifist route.

"Hotel", by Toby Fox (Undertale)

This track reminds me of Burgerpants, Catty and Bratty, some of my favorite characters (and moments) from the game. Not to mention its use of the game’s musical leitmotif.

Not much to say about those pieces other that I’m not much of a dancing person (I hate dancing actually :lol: ) but those at least make me smile, hum and/or bobble my head sideways (in a good way) :) I hope these songs are what you’re looking for.

-------

P.S.: I heard you wanted to know what the two last Ms in my username stand for. Well, it’s something very simple: those are the initials of my two last names (I’m hispanic, so we use both of our parents’ last names)... and that’s all I’m going to say about it :lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Nice! Has it got a Marquez in it?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

This might sound silly but the 3DS Theme Shop, err, theme always gets me grooving from the very first synth stab. I love how the kick drops out and then comes back in a little earlier than you might expect, gets me every time. Again, sounds daft but one of my favourite gaming memories of the past year was getting a 3DS just before a long awaited holiday to Bordeaux with the missus. One night we had a bottle of fizz while getting ready to go out and ended up dancing round our room to some tunes, taking it in turns to pick. I put on the Theme Shop theme and we had a great laugh and a boogie. I'll always associate it with that holiday and that evening.

MauricioMM

Post by MauricioMM »

ratsoalbion wrote:Nice! Has it got a Marquez in it?
No, but you were fairly close :) One of those is Méndez.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well I think your name is pretty darn cool.
MauricioMM

Post by MauricioMM »

Thank you very much, Leon! 8-)

I got one more track to recommend for the next podcast.

"Theme of Summers", by Hiroshi Kanazu (Earthbound)

This is the ambient track from one of my favorite locations in the game, a place for our young protagonists to slow down and take a very brief rest from their overbearing but exciting quest to stop Porky Minch and save the world. Just be mindful of this city’s status as a tourist trap :lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

MauricioMM wrote:Thank you very much, Leon! 8-)
Well now I've seen the whole thing on Facebook and I was right - definitely cool. I'm quite jealous.
:mrgreen:

Sorry I've MMM I've finished the track-listing for Sound of Play 81. We'll definitely keep this on the list for a future show though.
:)
MauricioMM

Post by MauricioMM »

No problem. Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to this year's remaining podcasts, especially the Undertale, Perfect Dark, Soul Reaver and Witcher C&R podcasts :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

ratsoalbion wrote:Can I have your favourite 'feel good' / happy tunes from videogames please?
Challenge Accepted.

'Bu Bu Poruche' from Loco Roco performed by Melody Chubak. My copy of the soundtrack for this came with a book with all the lyrics, its fun to sing along.

Title Screen theme from the c64 version of Treasure Island Dizzy, composed by Matt Gray. Infuriatingly hard game, but a catchy theme tune.

You're probably not looking for remixes for this particular episode, but I'm going to put the Dangerous Mezashi Cat remix of 'Like the Wind' from Power Drift here anyway because it's great.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

The Rayman Origins and Legends soundtracks have plenty of happy tunes. So I've picked one of the sillier pieces, Luchador from Rayman Legends by Christophe Héral.

nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

Not sure if this has been requested or played before, but absolutely one of the best intro musics ever!

Civilization 4 - Baba Yetu.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We played this back in Sound of Play 45:
http://caneandrinse.com/sop-45/

Nothing to say we might not pick it again at some point in the future though.
:)
cupraymyun

Post by cupraymyun »

two suggestions for you guys!

1. Motoi Sakuraba - Prologue (Golden Sun [GBA])
The Golden Sun series has some of the most beautiful music I've heard and that's saying something since this is a GBA game originally released in 2001. Many fond memories of playing this game under my blanket with a desk lamp switched on!

2. ??? - Forgotten Temple (ROSE Online)
One of my favorite MMOs and sad that it didn't manage to stay alive. I kept coming back to this game over and over even after it was dead just because of the music. beautiful, inspiring, magical. I could have picked any of the songs but I went with the Forgotten Temple because of how epic it all felt.

https://soundcloud.com/mmomusic/rose-on ... ten-temple
cupraymyun

Post by cupraymyun »

if you want something a little more epic then go with the Goblin Cave

https://soundcloud.com/mmomusic/rose-online-goblin-cave
MagicianArcana

Post by MagicianArcana »

I'd like to request The Hallowed Halls Of Heralded Heroes from Armikrog. When I first heard this, I recognized Terry Scott Taylor's quirky style immediately. The way he mumbles lyrics or sometimes sings in gibberish always makes me chuckle.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I think I found me favorite theme in Nioh today,you hear the track a few times before but it's during the boss fight that it kicks in full gear, the track is at the same time intense and gentle which is very appropriate:
macstat

Post by macstat »

Im a little too early on that cause this game is not yet released, but since its release is in 10 hours im gonna go for it.

The game is called Hollow Knight, its a metroidvania sstyle game in wierd bug-world, with very eerie atmosphere. Its soundtrack fits this mysterious world perfectly, just listen to "Dirtmouth" (1:30) and Crossroads (3:24) to see why its gonna be special :).

Sorry for the whole OST in video, i havent found separate videos.

edit: Jezz this ost is really amazing. Make sure to icheck Crystal Peak [23:52] as well. So good.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Another great piece from Nioh,dont really know exactly when it`s played but fell in love listening to it when looking for the soundtrack today, it reminds me a bit of Okami which is always a good thing:
Osiginon

Post by Osiginon »

Hello! Big fan of the podcast! It's really a treat!

I am a composer that most recently worked on a turn-based combat rpg called "Age of Decadence" and its subsequent mini-sequel "Dungeon Rats". Here are a few tracks from those games:

I post the tracks NOT to blow my own horn, but because I find the post-apocalyptic, alternative ancient-world historical setting of despair, hopelessness and absolute danger lends itself to a unique musical soundscape. And also, I kinda love the game, with its brutally difficult combat, extensive dialogue trees and many, many choices that drastically affect gameplay. And - much like Undertale - it is possible - and actually encouraged by the developers - to complete the game without ever lifting a sword (but lifting your sword is so much fun!).

Also, I am not sure if Sound of Play has ever featured the music of Gothic 1 or 2, but Kai Rosenkranz's work on them is simply a marvel.

Rosenkranz manages to hit all of the typical "epic" rpg beats, while somehow tempering them seamlessly with this fluttering feeling of life and possibility. Gothic 2 plops you into a living and subtly vibrant world, full of preoccupied villagers and monsters, and forces you to find your place. There is a barely-functioning map and absolutely no hand-holding, and the result was one of the most captivating video game experiences I have ever had.

This track - Ingame Music - plays during most of the in-game exploration, and it perfectly encapsulates this sense of realism and danger that are ever-present. I particularly love the ominous and unassuming acoustic guitar, coming through like a gentle flower blowing in the breeze, and likely soon to be crushed under the foot of an attacking demon! Really great stuff!
cupraymyun

Post by cupraymyun »

OKAY I JUST REALIZED YOU'VE ONLY PLAYED ONE KINGDOM HEARTS SONG ON THIS PODCAST AND IT'S A CRIME.

Yoko Shimomura - Dearly Beloved (KINGDOM HEARTS 2)

I remember first playing the summer after my freshman year while taking summer physics at my university. All my friends weren't around since everyone went home but I had my PS2 so i picked up KH2 after people telling me to play it. My god this game shook me to the core. after beating the game i remember staring at the menu screen in awe and shock and how great a game it was and this music was playing the entire time. I was so invested in the game emotionally that I remember just falling asleep to the menu screen enchanted by the song Dearly Beloved. this remains one of my favorite game songs of all time.
PLEASE PLAY THIS ON THE PODCAST