Sound of Play: 7

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 7

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome to the last podcast of 2014 about our favourite videogame music – Sound of Play.

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. Over the decades they’ve evolved from simplistic monaural beeps and bloops to full orchestral scores recorded in 7.1 surround, but from their earliest days right up to today, soundtracks have played an integral part of our memories of the games we played, and the times in our lives when we were playing them. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourites pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years.

This show’s presenters: Leon Cox, Sean O’Brien and Joshua Garrity.

Community contributors: DomsBeard, Radio Protector and Scrustle.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Sound of Play intro mash-up by Ryan Hamann.

Track 1: Even the Patience of a Pierrot Has Limits (Stage 2) by Dokuo Umeno (Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy, 1990)
Track 2: Space OX by David Kanaga (Dyad, 2012)
Track 3: Shinshu Plains by Masami Ueda (Okami, 2006)
Track 4: Project X Theme 1999 Remix by Allister Brimble (Project X/: Special Edition, 1992/1993/1999)
Track 5: Long Journey Home (ensemble) by The Bedquilt Ramblers (Kentucky Route Zero, 2013)
Track 6: Dr. Wily Stage 1 by Takashi Tateishi (Mega Man 2/Rockman 2, 1988)
Track 7: J-E-N-O-V-A by Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy VII, 1997)
Track 8: Stealthy Steps (Stage 6) by Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle, 1991)
Track 9: Song of the Ancients Devola by Keiichi Okabe, vocal by Emiko ‘Emi’ Rebecca Evans (NieR, 2010)

Sound of Play: 7 was edited by Jay Taylor

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Sound of Play: 7

Post by ratsoalbion »

Apologies for me describing and announcing the wrong SoR/BK track. I'm talking about the track Aboard Ship but the MP3 was labeled Stealthy Steps so we've elected to replace that in the final version of the podcast.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I know most people do metal covers of Dr. Wily's theme, but I think I prefer this one...

Beck

Post by Beck »

Thank you for fixing the RSS feed :)
Sean

Post by Sean »

Flabyo wrote:I know most people do metal covers of Dr. Wily's theme, but I think I prefer this one...

Well, yeah, if there's a Smooth Mcgroove version out there, it's almost always going to be the best one. :)
ianw78

Post by ianw78 »

Streets of Rage (got my Jap copy Bare Knuckle in the loft) and FFVII in the same episode- what a treat!

Yuzo Koshiro was a maestro and personally Beatnik on the Ship is one of my favourite tracks...

As for FFVII - Genova was a great choice but again personally can't go past Aerith's theme for me... Can remember how emotional I felt at the time when hearing it (in THAT scene) for the first time. Superbly played on piano here...

Enjoying working my way through the older episodes :)