Sound of Play: 82

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 82

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's the latest episode of our weekly podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourite pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years. Of course it’s not just about what we like, so if you venture over to our forum at caneandrinse.com you can put forward your favourites and we’ll start to include a selection in the playlist for each show.

This show’s presenters were Ryan Hamann and guest Ryan Quintal

along with community contributions from Todinho, Flabyo, and GoodShrewsbury

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Track 1: Welcome to Bright Falls by Petri Alanko - Alan Wake, 2010
Track 2: Temple of Light by Russell Shaw - Fable, 2004
Track 3: Smooth Jazz Shop by Gordon McGladdery - OKHLOS: Omega, 2016
Track 4: Mario Paint Medley by Keiki Kobayashi, Junichi Nakatsuru, Hiroki Hashimoto, Hiroyuki Kawada, Eriko Sakurai, Akihiko Ishikawa, and Yoshinori Hirai - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U
Track 5: Hypno Baron's Castle by Jake Kaufman - Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, 2017
Track 6: Transporter - Sea Sick by Phonetic Hero - Obliteracers, 2016
Track 7: Power Core by Power Glove - Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, 2013
Track 8: A-Mazing Post Pounding by Tomoya Tomita & Misaki Asada - Yoshi's Woolly World, 2015
Track 9: Vamo alla Flamenco by Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy IX, 2002

Sound of Play: 82 was edited by Ryan Hamann

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
Flabyo

Re: Sound of Play: 82

Post by Flabyo »

Good show this week! And as you prompted me...

Fable began development at Big Blue Box when they were an independent entity. They then joined Lionhead as a satellite studio, alongside Intrepid (who were making BC). A third studio was spun off to do Black and White 2 (and that was where I worked).

Around the time BC was cancelled and Intrepid closed the satellites were brought in as subbteams under the lionhead name. I assume the reasons for the original split and subsequent merging were financial. I moved to the Fable team when they were about 4 months into Fable 2, and stayed on that team till I left the company just after Fable: The Journey launched.

(Another aside, Danny Elfman only composed the main title theme for Fable 1, everything else in that game and all the rest was Russell Shaw. Elfman is still credited in Fable 2 because we were stIll using one or two leitmotif from the original title theme, but those were dropped after that game)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Well, I say everything else, but the music for Fable Heroes was done by Rare's composition team, it's kinda obvious when you hear it :)
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

"Vamos allá" means "We go there." Vamo' is a regional way of saying vamos (like gonna or eatin' in English).

Though I kind of prefer the flat earth translation. :D
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Apologies to Russell Shaw. I'll make sure to do a shout out to that on the next Sound of Play that I host. Also, thanks for the history on that, Glen! I knew there was some interesting history there :)

Haha, we weren't even close on that translation, were we, Gallo? I'm wondering where Ryan Q. got that "flat earth" idea from in the first place.
GoodShrewsbury

Post by GoodShrewsbury »

I was included this week!! Thanks guys, that was awesome.

And props to Ryan Q for the suggestion on VHS Glitch. Up my alley for sure, and I second that recommendation for any who liked that Power Glove track.
RyanQ

Post by RyanQ »

GoodShrewsbury wrote:I was included this week!! Thanks guys, that was awesome.

And props to Ryan Q for the suggestion on VHS Glitch. Up my alley for sure, and I second that recommendation for any who liked that Power Glove track.
So glad you liked it!
Bloody Initiate

Post by Bloody Initiate »

I had forgotten how pretty some of Fable's music was. I think Temple of Light also played inside the Demon Doors, because I heard that and remembered it a lot more than I ever visited the temple. In fact I found the inside of the Demon Doors so tranquil and the music so lovely I would often enter a Demon Door just before I took a break so I'd have that music in the background.