Sound of Play: 114

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 114

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome to our weekly podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

Joining host Leon Cox (@ratsoalbion) in Sound of Play 114 is Sound of Play listener David van der Griendt along with community submissions from gallo_pinto, Mike Leddy, Mechner and Benderson.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

1: Still of the Night by Hiroki Kikuta – Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret of Mana), 1993

2: Opening Song by Kenichiro Saigo – Yo-kai Watch, 2013

3: Fear Factory by David Wise – Donkey Kong Country, 1994

4: A Continental Gale – Khan Super Session by Masumi Ito – Soul Edge (Soul Blade), 1996

5: Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec by Nobuo Uematsu – Final Fantasy VIII, 1999

6: Main Theme (PS2 ver.) by Alexander Brandon – Deus Ex, 2002

7: Dream Land 64 by Jun Ishikawa, arranged by Hirokazu Ando – Super Smash Bros. Melee, 2001

8: Castle Imitation by Chihiro Onitsuka – Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter, 2002

9: Home Sweet Home by Christophe Héral – Beyond Good & Evil, 2003

Sound of Play: 114 was edited by Jay Taylor

Remember, it’s not just about what we like, so venture over to the thread at the top of this forum and put forward your own suggestions so that we might include them in future shows.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
InsrtCoins

Re: Sound of Play: 114

Post by InsrtCoins »

Nice shout about DKC vs. DKC2. I certainly have no lack of love for the original DKC -- it was, easily, one of the definitive games of my childhood while DKC2 was one that I only really came to (in full) later. So I absolutely understand the love and admiration for the original title, but, yeah, I stand by the sequel being the better of the two.

The visuals are a significant step up, I find the music more gripping, I really like the atmosphere (which the first game also did really well), but most of all -- I think that the second game has more intelligent level design. I like when levels flow and can be sprinted through once you gain an understanding of the visual language between the player and game designers. As fun as many of DKC's levels were, I stepped away from DKC2 feeling like I had a real relationship with the devs. We both got into each other's heads. We shared a connection across time and space via the medium of a monkey platformer.

But, yeah, both are great games :)