Sound of Play: 120

ratsoalbion
Admin

Sound of Play: 120

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welcome to our weekly podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

In this special 120th edition of Sound of Play, Ryan and Leah bring you some cracking tracks from the last 15 years of the SEGA’s Sonic the Hedgehog series, featuring some 28 pieces across 14 games.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

1: Leaf Forest (Act 1) by Tatsuyuki Maeda/Yutaka Minobe/Teruhiko Nakagawa - Sonic Advance 2, 2002
2: Seaside Hill by Jun Senoue - Sonic Heroes, 2003
3: All Hail Shadow by Magna-Fi - Shadow the Hedgehog, 2005
4: Right There, Ride On by Hideki Naganuma/Teruhiko Nakagawa - Sonic Rush, 2005
5: Vela-Nova by Hideki Naganuma/Teruhiko Nakagawa - Sonic Rush, 2005
6: His World by Hideaki Kobayashi/Tomoya Ohtani/mariko Nanba/Taihei Sato/Takahito Eguchi - Sonic the Hedgehog, 2006
7: Soleanna Castle Town by Hideaki Kobayashi/Tomoya Ohtani/Mariko Nanba/Taihei Sato/Takahito Eguchi - Sonic the Hedgehog, 2006
8: Soleanna New City by Hideaki Kobayashi/Tomoya Ohtani/Mariko Nanba/Taihei Sato/Takahito Eguchi - Sonic the Hedgehog, 2006
9: Apotos (Day) by Tomoya Ohtani/Fumie Kumatani/Kenichi Tokoi/Hideaki Kobayashi/Takahito Eguchi - Sonic Unleashed, 2008
10: Apotos (Night) by Tomoya Ohtani/Fumie Kumatani/Kenichi Tokoi/Hideaki Kobayashi/Takahito Eguchi - Sonic Unleashed, 2008
11: Savannah Citadel (Night) by Tomoya Ohtani/Fumie Kumatani/Kenichi Tokoi/Hideaki Kobayashi/Takahito Eguchi - Sonic Unleashed, 2008
12: Empire City (Night) by Tomoya Ohtani/Fumie Kumatani/Kenichi Tokoi/hideaki Kobayashi/Takahito Eguchi - Sonic Unleashed, 2008
13: Shamar (Night) by Tomoya Ohtani/Fumie Kumatani/Kenichi Tokoi/Hideaki Kobayashi/Takahito Eguchi - Sonic Unleashed, 2008
14: Sir Percival: The Knight of the Grail by Jun Senoue/Yutaka Minobe/Richard Jacques/Howard Drossin/Tommy Tallarico - Sonic and the Black Knight, 2009
15: Vs Metal Sonic by Jun Senoue - Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II, 2012
16: Splash Hill Zone Act 1 by Jun Senoue - Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I, 2010
17: Stage Clear & Result Jingle by Tomoya Ohtani/Kenichi Tokoi/Fumie Kumatani/Hideaki Kobayashi/Mariko Nanba/Naofumi Hataya - Sonic Colors, 2010
18: Planet Wisp Act 1 / Planet Wisp Act 3 by Tomoya Ohtani/Kenichi Tokoi/Fumie Kumatani/Hideaki Kobayashi/Mariko Nanba/Naofumi Hataya - Sonic Colors, 2010
19: Aquarium Park Act 1 by Tomoya Ohtani/Kenichi Tokoi/Fumie Kumatani/Hideaki Kobayashi/Mariko Nanba/Naofumi Hataya - Sonic Colors, 2010
20: Drowning Theme by Tomoya Ohtani, Kenichi Tokoi/Fumie Kumatani/Hideaki Kobayashi/Mariko Nanba/Naofumi Hataya - Sonic Colors, 2010
21: Rooftop Run: Act 1 by Jun Senoue - Sonic Generations, 2011
22: White Space Medley by Jun Senoue - Sonic Generations, 2011
23: Wonder World (Title Theme) by Tomoya Ohtani/Takahito Eguchi - Sonic: Lost World, 2013
24: Windy Hill (Zone 2) by Tomoya Ohtani/Takahito Eguchi - Sonic: Lost World, 2013
25: Stardust Speedway Zone Act 1 by Tee Lopes - Sonic Mania, 2017
26: Metallic Madness Zone Act 1 ~ Built to Rule by Tee Lopes - Sonic Mania, 2017
27: Studiopolis Zone Act 1 ~ Lights, Camera, Action! by Tee Lopes - Sonic Mania, 2017
28: Fist Bump by Tomoya Ohtani/Douglas Robb - Sonic Forces, 2017

Sound of Play: 120 was edited by Ryan Hamann

Remember, it’s not just about what we like, so venture over to the thread at the top of this forum and put forward your own suggestions so that we might include them in future shows.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
Jobobonobo

Re: Sound of Play: 120

Post by Jobobonobo »

Wonderful episode as always. Nice blend of genuinely great music and cheese this episode, like it!

However, I feel compelled to give a correction. Metallic Madness is not a new level in Sonic Mania, it is based on a level from Sonic CD just like Starlight Speedway. It is a credit to Pagoda Games that they did such a great job of remixing the levels that they felt new.

Also, I was a bit confused by a statement Leah made. Is Sonic 3 divisive among fans? I always thought it was easily the best one of the mega drive trilogy and is generally beloved by not just sonic fans but fans of platformers in general.

But now I'm just nitpicking, intrigued to see what series Sound of Play 130 will look at!
InsrtCoins

Re: Sound of Play: 120

Post by InsrtCoins »

Ah, thanks for that note. I looked in a Sonic series wiki while recording and it didn't say anything about Sonic CD, but it was probably just incorrect. It's been decades since I've played Sonic CD, so I don't remember.