An interview with Ben Cartlidge (One Credit Classics)

Here's where you can find our audio interviews
JaySevenZero
Admin

An interview with Ben Cartlidge (One Credit Classics)

Post by JaySevenZero » September 22nd, 2017, 8:02 am

In this interview extra, Leon Cox (@ratsoalbion) talks to Ben Cartlidge (@1creditclassics) the creator behind the YouTube channel One Credit Classics, a channel dedicated to one credit retrogame clears with no continues and no save states.

Music used in this podcast is as follows:

1: What is this Place? by K. Muraoka, Motoaki Furukawa – Super Contra

Edited by Jay Taylor.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Alex79uk

Re: An interview with Ben Cartlidge (One Credit Classics)

Post by Alex79uk » September 22nd, 2017, 9:31 am

Ah cool, looking forward to listening!

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » September 24th, 2017, 9:24 pm

I find Ben's videos and general attitude very inspiring. Makes you feel nothing's beyond your grasp when you put your mind to it.

What prevents me from acing tough, arcade-style action games is that I have too many distractions, i.e. too large a pool of games of all sorts to play. And that I find it very hard to maintain my focus for the full duration of a run. Sometimes it's even the easygoing sections that kill me, as my mind tends to wander off when the pressure is low. It's generally hard for me to be consistent and I find myself losing lives in different spots each time in a game of, say, Mushihimesama Futari.

Again though, Mr. Cartlidge makes me believe again. :)

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 24th, 2017, 10:41 pm

I on the other hand have the exact opposite problem in that I find it relatively easy to concentrate and focus all of my attention towards a specific objective over extended periods of time, it's just that I'm completely out of my element when it comes to skill based, old-school 2D games. I'll deal with newfangled challenges like Souls bosses or Mercs any day, but put me in front of Megaman or most sh'mups, and I'll struggle to get past the first level. With the odd exception here and there, of course. So I definitely admire the skill and commitment needed to run a channel like OCC!

kintaris

Post by kintaris » September 25th, 2017, 11:04 am

Watching OCC is cathartic for me. I've always felt like a poor gamer for my inabilty to get anywhere in classic 2D arcade titles, but these videos remind me how much dedication and effort one has to put in to tame them. It's not an easy thing at all. I'm happy to be a virtual cheerleader for those with the knack instead!

OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen » September 25th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Thank you so much for all the replies and also to everyone who has subscribed to the channel over the last few days, I've had a real big run of subscriptions while I've been away and I'm just catching up with everything.

The thing is, you could all do this if you had the time, believe me. All you need is commitment and self belief, and a lot of tea/coffee. It's like learning to do anything. The task at hand seems insurmountable at the start but breaking it down into components makes it all possible.

Also, just so you know, I've got a big achievement run coming on Wednesday so I hope you'll all check it out. It's probably the toughest thing I've done since R-Type.

If any of you good people have any suggestions, got the set up to do MAME/SNES/NES/SMS/MD/GG at the moment, then drop me a line on this thread and I'll see what I can do for you.

Thanks for all the positive comments and the great feedback.
As long as you keep watching them, I'll keep making them.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 25th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Another great interview podcast guys 8-) .

I earmarked this one for my commute home as soon as I saw it download to my iPod.

Good insight into the drive and technical aspect of what makes you want to do this and of course how long it takes to get to the level that allows you to do this. Well done Ben, it's very impressive :) .

One for the possible list I suppose. One of the first ever games I owned, on my first console, was My Hero on the Sega Master System. Personally, I couldn't get past the spiked bouncing balls on the first level and it perplexed me how anyone could ever get past the first level - let alone the game, it just seemed impossible :lol: .

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » September 25th, 2017, 7:29 pm

OneCreditBen wrote:
September 25th, 2017, 5:34 pm
The thing is, you could all do this if you had the time, believe me. All you need is commitment and self belief, and a lot of tea/coffee. It's like learning to do anything. The task at hand seems insurmountable at the start but breaking it down into components makes it all possible.
Excellent stuff. Two games I'm currently the closest to 1CCing are Gradius (NES version) and Fire Shark (Mega Drive version). You inspire me to give it an extra push.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind seeing you take on more shoot 'em ups. Maybe something like Hellfire or Gynoug on the Mega Drive?

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 26th, 2017, 12:22 am

Fascinating episode, really enjoyed it. Thanks all!

OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen » September 27th, 2017, 9:34 am

Suits wrote:
September 25th, 2017, 7:01 pm
Another great interview podcast guys 8-) .

I earmarked this one for my commute home as soon as I saw it download to my iPod.

Good insight into the drive and technical aspect of what makes you want to do this and of course how long it takes to get to the level that allows you to do this. Well done Ben, it's very impressive :) .

One for the possible list I suppose. One of the first ever games I owned, on my first console, was My Hero on the Sega Master System. Personally, I couldn't get past the spiked bouncing balls on the first level and it perplexed me how anyone could ever get past the first level - let alone the game, it just seemed impossible :lol: .
I had a look at My Hero today as it happens. I can 100% see myself having a look at it this season, I love games like this. I played it briefly back on the SMS but never put any real time into it. It'd be very good to revisit. Great suggestion and I'm glad you enjoyed the interview!

OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen » September 27th, 2017, 9:37 am

Michiel K wrote:
September 25th, 2017, 7:29 pm
OneCreditBen wrote:
September 25th, 2017, 5:34 pm
Excellent stuff. Two games I'm currently the closest to 1CCing are Gradius (NES version) and Fire Shark (Mega Drive version). You inspire me to give it an extra push.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind seeing you take on more shoot 'em ups. Maybe something like Hellfire or Gynoug on the Mega Drive?
You could easily do Gradius sir. I just about squeaked a 1CC clear of it the other day on the plane to Japan on my 3DSXL. I'm confident with my trusty Buffalo USB controller and a bit more legroom I could nail it in a few days and so could you. I love Megadrive shooters and it's a shame really that I've only done one so far in Elemenal Master, but it's one that really stands out amongst the channel for me when I look back at games that I had a load of fun playing.

I'm going to do a Thunderforce game, it's just a question of when really like with most things. The second I get a bit of time then I'm sure I'll end up with quite a few interesting videos lined up.

OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen » September 27th, 2017, 9:39 am

Alex79uk wrote:
September 26th, 2017, 12:22 am
Fascinating episode, really enjoyed it. Thanks all!
Thanks very much for taking the time, I had a really fun time and it was a great chat!

OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen » September 27th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Also, as this came out today, I thought it'd be only fitting to post it on this thread.

It's the second achievement run of Season 3 as we take a look at a no death clear of arcade favourite Green Beret!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 27th, 2017, 1:57 pm

Amazing job.

I also watched the Combat School one. Made it look easy!
:D

OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen » September 27th, 2017, 2:46 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
September 27th, 2017, 1:57 pm
Amazing job.

I also watched the Combat School one. Made it look easy!
Thank you very much my friend. I have no idea why I started laughing manically when the last boss died, I think I'd lost the plot a little bit to be honest with you. I re-watched the Combat School video and forgot I'd put all those out-takes in at the end. I would have done the same with Green Beret but the video would have been like Lord of the Rings at that point.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 27th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Hey Ben, can I be the annoying guy who throws some game names at you? Now I've watched a sizeable chunk of your videos, but nowhere near all of them (they've become my nightly watch before going to sleep!) so if you've done any of these already I apologise, but what about:

Sunset Riders (Arcade)
Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (Arcade)
Xenon 2: Megablast (Amiga was what I played it on...)

OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen » September 27th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
September 27th, 2017, 3:16 pm
Hey Ben, can I be the annoying guy who throws some game names at you? Now I've watched a sizeable chunk of your videos, but nowhere near all of them (they've become my nightly watch before going to sleep!) so if you've done any of these already I apologise, but what about:

Sunset Riders (Arcade)
Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (Arcade)
Xenon 2: Megablast (Amiga was what I played it on...)

It's not annoying because of the manner in which you asked sir, no bother.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 I will look at emulation. I loved that game.
Xenon 2: Megablast I had on the SMS for a while. I remember that being awesome. Also I remember that's where the term Super Nashwan came from originally.
Awesome suggestions, I'll see what I can do.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 27th, 2017, 7:30 pm

Ah awesome, that's tonight's viewing sorted haha. I love Sunset Riders, one of my all time favourite arcade scrolling beat em up type games (Although it's technically a shoot em up obviously...)

OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen » September 27th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
September 27th, 2017, 7:30 pm
Ah awesome, that's tonight's viewing sorted haha. I love Sunset Riders, one of my all time favourite arcade scrolling beat em up type games (Although it's technically a shoot em up obviously...)
I loved that clear and I've been playing around with a few other similar games (Moomesa/Bucky O'Hare) recently, there's probably some mileage in those. I also did Captain America and the Avengers for Episode 41. That was all kinds of fun too. Thanks again for checking out the videos.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » September 28th, 2017, 4:11 pm

OneCreditBen wrote:
September 27th, 2017, 9:37 am
You could easily do Gradius sir. I just about squeaked a 1CC clear of it the other day on the plane to Japan on my 3DSXL.
That settles it, I'm going to do it.

You said something in the Green Beret video about beating these games making you a better person. I strongly believe that being decent at arcade style action games has conditioned me to keep a cool head, stay calm and act on instinct in the face of pressure. Like with a dangerous traffic situation coming out of nowhere.