Golden Axe - Cane and Rinse 225

Archive for issues 201 - 250
JaySevenZero
Vanguard

Golden Axe - Cane and Rinse 225

Post by JaySevenZero » June 12th, 2016, 2:09 pm

“To defeat them is a must and bringing peace to the land is my duty!”

With their mothers, fathers, siblings and even their old mate Alex all slayed by DEATH=ADDER, Leon, Karl, Michiel Kroder and Dan Clark avenge their losses by thoroughly giving SEGA AM1’s 1989 fantasy brawler Golden Axe, its inspirations, its various conversions, sequels, spin-offs and legacy the once over. As usual we also share memories and opinions from listeners via both the Cane and Rinse forum and social media.

Music used in this issue:

Track 1: The Battle (Main Theme) by Tohru Nakabayashi
Track 2: Thief's Theme by Tohru Nakabayashi
Track 3: Sutakora, Sassa! by Tohru Nakabayashi.

Cane and Rinse 225 was edited by Ryan Hamann.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Re: Golden Axe - Cane and Rinse 225

Post by ratsoalbion » June 12th, 2016, 7:45 pm

How to spot David Caruso, Grace Jones, Jack Starrett and more stars of 80s cinema in your Golden Axe:

Flabyo
Guardian

Post by Flabyo » June 13th, 2016, 12:35 pm

Another interesting companion video:

OneCreditBen
Guardian

Post by OneCreditBen » August 16th, 2017, 11:09 am

Currently working on a Golden Axe Arcade - No Bizarrians/No Death Clear.
It's coming along but there's a few mechanics that make it super tricky as you might imagine.
Fun though. This was a great podcast guys. Awesome work!

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Post by ratsoalbion » August 16th, 2017, 11:43 am

Thank you, and good luck!

OneCreditBen
Guardian

Post by OneCreditBen » August 16th, 2017, 12:08 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
August 16th, 2017, 11:43 am
Thank you, and good luck!
I get the feeling I'm going to need it haha!
The goal is to eventually do No Death/No Bizarrians/No Magic.
It's doable but it'll take a while.

Michiel K
Master Rahool

Post by Michiel K » August 16th, 2017, 12:24 pm

^^^^ Would probably take the maximum amount of cheesing the AI! Has a run like that been accomplished before?

By the way, I love your dedication to Golden Axe. You can tell how dear a game to someone's heart is by the increasing amount of self-imposed challenges that person sets on continuous playthroughs.

OneCreditBen
Guardian

Post by OneCreditBen » August 16th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Michiel K wrote:
August 16th, 2017, 12:24 pm
^^^^ Would probably take the maximum amount of cheesing the AI! Has a run like that been accomplished before?

By the way, I love your dedication to Golden Axe. You can tell how dear a game to someone's heart is by the increasing amount of self-imposed challenges that person sets on continuous playthroughs.
I've never seen a run like that before but I'm 100% sure it's possible.
I've done all the individual parts under these conditions before it just needs building together gradually.
The toughest characters to defeat under these conditions are the large knights that you get at the end of Stage 3 and just before Death Adder.

I've figured a tactic to beat them with Gillius where you show your back to them and when they start the animation to sword swipe you move slightly out of range and then hit his rolling axe back attack. If you can get the rhythm right you're usually fine but it's tough when you get two at the end of the game.

I still play Golden Axe regularly and it'll always be one of those games that I come back to just because of the point it fell in my own gaming journey I suppose. Thanks for supporting and watching the videos by the way, it's much obliged. They remain a real labour of love but one that I look forward to making every week.

Alex79uk
Guardian

Post by Alex79uk » August 16th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Have you done crazy runs on games, Ben? Do you have a YouTube channel? Would be interested in watching some of that stuff. C&R recently(ish) covered Final Fight. I played along and really didn't enjoy the game very much (despite being a huge fan of scrolling beat em ups) and felt the AI was cheap and it would be impossible to complete without multiple continues. I was amazed to find people had done one credit runs of the game, which led me down a whole rabbit hole of similar gaming feats. It fascinates me!

OneCreditBen
Guardian

Post by OneCreditBen » August 17th, 2017, 9:05 am

Alex79uk wrote:
August 16th, 2017, 7:55 pm
Have you done crazy runs on games, Ben? Do you have a YouTube channel? Would be interested in watching some of that stuff. C&R recently(ish) covered Final Fight. I played along and really didn't enjoy the game very much (despite being a huge fan of scrolling beat em ups) and felt the AI was cheap and it would be impossible to complete without multiple continues. I was amazed to find people had done one credit runs of the game, which led me down a whole rabbit hole of similar gaming feats. It fascinates me!
https://www.youtube.com/c/OneCreditClassics

There's my channel, I've had it for about a year now. It's called One Credit Classics. I do a One Credit Clear every Wednesday and try to put out a bonus video most Saturdays. I also do a few longplays that are multipart. It started off as a conversation with a friend that nobody could beat Wrestlefest on One Credit.

We thought then that just meant beating the Legion of Doom so I set up to record and the first take I beat Legion of Doom. Then it became a thing really. I had to beat these games on One Credit. I play SNES, NES, SMS, MD, MAME primarily and record all the commentary live with FRAPS.

After the first few months of doing the channel my good friend asked if he could shoot a mini documentary about the whole thing which we did one Saturday.

That was a lot of fun to do.

Achievement runs and crazy videos wise I've done:
1) Super Contra Arcade No Death
2) Contra NES No Death
3) R-Type Arcade No Death
4) Golden Axe 3 No Death Back to Back Clears
5) Street Fighter 2 SNES Max Difficulty No Rounds Lost
6) Wrestlefest Double LOD Clear + Royal Rumble Clear

Longplay wise so far I've done Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World 96 Exits and I'm currently recording Shining Force.

Also finally there's a playlist on the channel called Bonus Content where I do niche bits and pieces of games that I may have done before but slightly differently. Things like regional variants of a game, or a game I've done before using different characters/parameters.

Here's the trailer if you're interested.

Alex79uk
Guardian

Post by Alex79uk » August 17th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Wow that's awesome! Thanks man, that's a whole lot of good viewing to do!

OneCreditBen
Guardian

Post by OneCreditBen » August 18th, 2017, 9:49 am

Alex79uk wrote:
August 17th, 2017, 12:35 pm
Wow that's awesome! Thanks man, that's a whole lot of good viewing to do!
No problems.
It's all playlisted into various categories.
I tend to do a few competitions as well so when I get to 400 subscribers I'll probably do a bit of a giveaway.
I generally get mugs or mousemats made.

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Post by ratsoalbion » August 18th, 2017, 10:02 am

Ah, need to have a chat with you about suppliers. We want to get some smaller merch items going for Cane and Rinse.

Also, would you be up for doing an interview podcast with me, talking about your channel?

OneCreditBen
Guardian

Post by OneCreditBen » August 18th, 2017, 1:30 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
August 18th, 2017, 10:02 am
Ah, need to have a chat with you about suppliers. We want to get some smaller merch items going for Cane and Rinse.

Also, would you be up for doing an interview podcast with me, talking about your channel?
http://www.vistaprint.co.uk/vp/welcomeb ... lcome&rd=1

I use Vistaprint for all my merchandise as it happens. They're really good and reasonable if you order in bulk and the quality is amazing.

I'd be 100% be up for a chat on a Podcast that'd be cool. Drop me a DM and we'll sort it out.

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Post by ratsoalbion » August 18th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Thanks man, will DM ya.

OneCreditBen
Guardian

Post by OneCreditBen » August 19th, 2017, 9:20 am

ratsoalbion wrote:
August 18th, 2017, 1:43 pm
Thanks man, will DM ya.
Good stuff I look forward to it!
Here's the latest clear that your podcast inspired.
Golden Axe - No Death/No Magic

Joshihatsumitsu
Guardian

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » October 10th, 2017, 12:08 am

Because of this episode I became aware of the terrible PC Engine version of Golden Axe, and the opportunity to purchase it on the last trip to Japan came time and again.

But alas, as much as I enjoy trashy curiosities (and it was relatively affordable too), I didn't make the purchase. No regrets of course, but maybe on a future trip I'll buy a cheap copy and chuck it in the suitcase.

I assume the worst, but I'm still curious...