Final Fight - Cane and Rinse 214

Archive for issues 201 - 250
JaySevenZero
Admin

Final Fight - Cane and Rinse 214

Post by JaySevenZero » March 27th, 2016, 4:58 pm

“My sweet heart since child hood.”

Certainly not the first urban brawler although perhaps one of the most fondly remembered and influential, Capcom latterly entered the burgeoning arcade progressive beat-’em-up scene with 1989’s Final Fight. Known as Street Fighter ’89 during development, the game was eventually released without overt SF ties, though ended up donating various characters to later Street Fighter games (among others). Leon, James, Karl and special guest, Final Fight: Double Impact designer Andrew Smith – now of Spilt Milk Studios – bust out the spiked wristbands and aerosols (spray paint and hairspray) before discussing the game as well as its various conversions and legacy.

Music used in this issue:

Track 1: Opening Theme by Yoshihiro Sakaguchi
Track 2: Opening Theme by Simon Viklund

Cane and Rinse 214 was edited by Sean O'Brien.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Suits

Re: Final Fight - Cane and Rinse 214

Post by Suits » April 12th, 2016, 9:13 am

Good episode this, thoroughly enjoyed it :) .

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » March 17th, 2017, 8:12 am

Even though this episode has come and gone, I'll still share this information here.

I acquired, in the year of 2017, an original arcade PCB of Final Fight:

There was talk on the that episode regarding dip-switch settings for difficulty, and I can confirm firsthand (mostly thanks to this PDF scan of the manual - https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-v ... -fight.pdf) that the difficulty can be adjusted quite precisely. It's quite possible that people would have had different experiences with the same game depending on where they played it. Most PCB's have around 4 settings: easy, normal, difficult and very difficult. Final Fight has 8 degrees of difficulty, from easy to hard, followed by a further four difficulty setting on top of that. Pretty unusual, because even games released after this didn't usually go to this much trouble.

And having the original makes me greatly appreciate the work done on Final Fight: Double Impact. Great episode, with a great guest. A genuine treat. :D

Suits

Post by Suits » March 17th, 2017, 8:26 am

Man, that's awesome.

I have this and the others on the Super Famicom, I can only imagine the ways in which it's better on a cabinet 8-) .

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » March 17th, 2017, 9:04 am

What sort of price would you expect to pay for a board like that, if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering what sort of cost is involved in building a home arcade collection.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » March 17th, 2017, 9:15 am

Thanks for the kind words Joshi and for sharing your coin-op collection with us. We love it!

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » March 17th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Alex79uk wrote:What sort of price would you expect to pay for a board like that, if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering what sort of cost is involved in building a home arcade collection.
I don't mind sharing... as a middle aged single guy with no kids and a full time job, I can afford to be a little reckless with spending! ;)

That board in particular set me back around $400 AUD (sorry Nintendo Switch... may have to wait a bit longer), plus postage. It's the US version, which is only slightly censored, in that it the image of a kidnapped Jessica in the attract mode doesn't appear on the TV... no a big deal really. Only the Japanese version includes that I believe, though I could be wrong.

I had a quick look at completed listings on eBay, and previous sales were around the same price. It was a bit of an impulse buy for me, and I'll need to curb the spending a bit because of it, but there's value in keeping older boards like that, besides it being a fun game.
Suits wrote:Man, that's awesome.

I have this and the others on the Super Famicom, I can only imagine the ways in which it's better on a cabinet 8-) .
I remember getting the US version of Final Fight on the SNES, and I had to run it through a Honey-bee game converter to get it to work on my Pal SNES.

My cabinet has Seimitsu joysticks, and Sanwa buttons, and the quality of fighting/joy-sticks being available in the last couple of years, perhaps mainly due to the success of Street Fighter IV/V, has really bridged that gap between the arcade and home experience. I think Final Fight: Double Impact with any modern stick is a delight!
ratsoalbion wrote:Thanks for the kind words Joshi and for sharing your coin-op collection with us. We love it!
Always happy to brag! :D