340: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

340: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can leave your thoughts regarding Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for possible inclusion in the podcast when it's recorded.
Simonsloth

Re: 340: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Post by Simonsloth »

I hadn’t heard of this game prior to seeing the podcast playlist so embarked on a journey with this game which I wish I had never started. I’m a finisher, a completer, a cane and rinser but it’s games like this that make me resent this aspect of my personality as I truly detest the time I spent with this game.

Let’s start with the good of which there is little. There was some intitial intrigue as the premise appeared promising and the atmosphere was forboding. I was hoping this would be similar to amnesia and first impressions were favourable.

The turning point for me was the chase sequence early on in the hotel. It was actually very exhilarating the first few times then slowly become more and more infuriating. Doors would open when I was trying to lock them. Bookcases wouldn’t move when I pushed them from slightly the wrong angle. So this chase sequence became a chore very very quickly.

From this point the game became an almighty mess. It introduces stealth which is such a terrible idea when the game controls so badly, the shooting is appalling and at times I felt absolutely lost. Often I felt like I was progressing in the wrong direction simply because there were so many stumbling blocks in my way that I surely must be going the wrong way. There were multiple jumping sequences either with crumbling paths underfoot or one in particular onto a fiery staircase which were so unforgiving. The hideous jumping is compounded by the fact when you look down to time your leap correctly the screen distorts and wobbles as your insanity kicks in. This meant blindly leaping to my death over and over again. Why put difficult platforming sequences in a game where you are hindered by looking down and perhaps haven’t encountered a save point in a while.

About halfway through I encountered a game breaking bug which meant that I could not see enemies which were shooting me whilst on the boat. I then had to google their coordinates and after almost 100 attempts at blindly shooting into the ether I eventually made it past.

The masochist in me said I had made it through that part so I had to see it through to the finish. Surely there couldn’t be another bug. I was wrong. I simply could not complete the end escape sequence from the collapsing cave. Internet forums spoke of tricks to get past it, the perfect run, lowering your resolution to the worst setting to speed up your movement etc. Most had instead opted for a patch which added a debug menu to get past it. Essentially I had to cheat my way through the end sequence. After many many hours of painful gameplay which was the antithesis of fun I wanted to say I had “beaten” the game but instead all I can say is that the game well and truly “beat” me.

I cannot recommend this game. I rarely wish for hours of my life back but the resentment this brought out in me makes me truly regret spending them this way.

I’ve just finished this so I might let it stew for a bit and edit my post later
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ha, sorry for your pain. You can blame Sean as it was his pick for the pod!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Maybe if the bugs weren’t present I wouldn’t have had as much of an issue with the game and there is always the danger of playing an old game on a new system.

Bizarrely I’m actually really looking forward to this game being covered if only to hear that other shared my pain.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Well, damn. Sorry you had such an unpleasant experience!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I feel bad now! The more I think about it the more I think I was a bit harsh because of the frustration the buggy PC version gave me. I was hoping there would be other posts to offset my negativity.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Making me scared, Simon! I've got the o.g. Xbox version, which - I heard - CAN actually be completed.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Michiel K wrote: August 6th, 2018, 10:12 am Making me scared, Simon! I've got the o.g. Xbox version, which - I heard - CAN actually be completed.
I had almost no problems with the OG Xbox version. I think it crashed once on me.

It runs quite well and is worth getting if you have no other options or you prefer playing on consoles.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yeah, it's a bit rough on Windows 10. The game takes about 5 minutes to start up, so every crash adds up.

My favourite bugs so far were the game playing the Windows 'BONGGGG' sound with every action (I had to turn off PC sound, game music and dialogue was fine), and where you needed to push a crate that was blocking a door you needed to progress through, but which caused a CTD every time you tried to push (eventual solution was to hold your breath while pushing, took 45 minutes to get past that bit). I am looking forward to the invisible enemies later, if I get that far.

I don't know if I'm enjoying the game per se, or will finish it, but I've played enough that I'm really looking forward to the podcast.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Absolutely loving the dialogue!

Man: You're not getting my meaning, stranger. There is rumouring of real
horrors in the black dankness 'neath these streets. Maybe them folk with the
taint are devils, but at least they're devils of this Earth. You ever hear tell
of a shaggoth, stranger?

Jack: Just tell me where I can get into the sewers.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

The entire script is here

It's good readin'
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Chopper wrote: August 8th, 2018, 10:00 am Yeah, it's a bit rough on Windows 10. The game takes about 5 minutes to start up, so every crash adds up.

My favourite bugs so far were the game playing the Windows 'BONGGGG' sound with every action (I had to turn off PC sound, game music and dialogue was fine), and where you needed to push a crate that was blocking a door you needed to progress through, but which caused a CTD every time you tried to push (eventual solution was to hold your breath while pushing, took 45 minutes to get past that bit). I am looking forward to the invisible enemies later, if I get that far.

I don't know if I'm enjoying the game per se, or will finish it, but I've played enough that I'm really looking forward to the podcast.
I would get the unofficial patch before you get there. It also makes the sky the correct colour. I played half the game with a completely white sky which made the game cheerier than it was intended to be.

Also these aren’t isolated problems on my system these are pretty universal to anyone coming to the game a year or so after launch. No post game support or official patches makes me wish I’d opted for the Xbox version
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Thanks Simon. I've reluctantly abandoned it. I had a lot of trouble with the Escape from Innsmouth section and just when I looked like I'd make it I got a complete system freeze that required a hard reset. I will read the script or watch the cutscenes.

Three word review: Crash To Desktop
Sean

Post by Sean »

Damnit, I hope we didn't cost you guys too much money.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Don’t feel bad at all. It was on my backlog and there are parts that in retrospect I quite liked. It’s just the bugs were such a huge problem for me that it made the whole thing one big mess.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Sean wrote: September 7th, 2018, 5:17 pm Damnit, I hope we didn't cost you guys too much money.
Don't fret on my account! I bought Call of Cthulhu as part of my very first Steam purchase back in 2009 :lol:

The other games were

Arx Fatalis
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
Beyond Good and Evil

and I only ever finished the first STALKER, about three years later. Start as you mean to go on... :(

I enjoyed Cthulu, it was just that the time spent looking up bugs was starting to weigh on me. I think I got my money's worth though.