330: Resident Evil Zero (Biohazard 0)

This is where you'll find threads specific to the games we're covering in Volume Six
JaySevenZero
Admin

330: Resident Evil Zero (Biohazard 0)

Post by JaySevenZero » December 31st, 2017, 3:39 pm

Here's where you can leave your thoughts regarding Resident Evil Zero (Biohazard 0) for possible inclusion in the podcast when it's recorded.

fieldy

Re: 330: Resident Evil Zero (Biohazard 0)

Post by fieldy » February 10th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Resident Evil Zero V7 I330

I first remember becoming aware of Resident evil zero as I’d did with so many games at that time after seeing screenshots in NGC magazine, being as I was so excited by the remake of the original RE and that this was a completely original entry into the series meant that this was a no brainer for me. The screenshots I saw were of the early part of the game with Rebecca and Billy in a train, there were also shots of a mysterious man in white robes on top of a hill all of this had me very interested as I tried to piece together the story before getting my hands on the game.

Finally after what seemed like an eternity (but was actually only around 6 months!) I had the game in my hands and settled in to play it. Initially I was gripped by the introduction to the game which promised an origin story of the umbrella corporation and the T-Virus. Then after a short cutscene I was straight into the action. Right off the bat zero felt very different to its predecessor, I still can’t define what it is but the characters movements feel slower than in previous resident evil games. In addition to this there were a few points that made this entry less enjoyable than others for me. The partner system which is introduced early on shows promise, helping solve puzzles that need the two lead characters to be in two different places at once was a fresh mechanic for the series but this quickly became stale and in the later stages of the game feelt like a chore. The battles with the leach man feel cheap with the bullet sponge enemy moving much faster than the player character and being able to hit at long distances in very confined spaces (I think this might be to try and induce fear but it just came off as irritating after about the third encounter)

These negative points aside I did mostly enjoy Zero the presentation was excellent with Capcom building on the already impressive graphics of the remake, the pre rendered backgrounds were even more detailed. Sound design also impressed again with a remarkable amount of detail from footsteps on different surfaces to the ambient noises in the train. The new ability to drop items anywhere on the map was also a welcome addition to the series meaning less backtracking.

The story was okay for the most part, explaining how Rebeca made it to the Spencer mansion and giving some history of the Umbrella corporation. I felt it fell very short however in its ambitious promise to explain the origins of Umbrella. I was also a little disappointed that there was no more back story for Billy or that we don’t really see him ever again!

Overall zero was an enjoyable experience but it did have its blemishes, I think Capcom were experimenting with the old Resident Evil formula in an attempt to give fresh life to the series something that they succeed in with in RE4 and 7 but here it feels like the additions are half baked and too little too late by this point. An enjoyable enough entry that falls short in my opinion.

Simonsloth

Re: 330: Resident Evil Zero (Biohazard 0)

Post by Simonsloth » February 10th, 2018, 9:39 pm

I dont really have much to say that’s positive about this game. I played the Gamecube version of it on the wii after being blown away by resident evil 4. I couldn’t help but compare the two and although unfair on zero I can’t rewrite history. In every way this is inferior. The story and characters are potentially the weakest in the series. the gameplay isn’t bad compared to earlier games but it came at a time where it’s peers had moved on considerably whereas this felt stuck in the past.

Playing more recently my opinion hasn’t really changed. It’s an unnecessary title which serves very little purpose.

One little nugget of positivity though was that I liked that Rebecca and Billy parted ways with a thumbs up. Much like the gameplay it was certainly awkward but it was nice to see a female character not end up in the arms of her male counterpart. Compared to code Veronica where Steve tries to kiss Claire in her sleep this is a considerable step forward.