SUPERHOT

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

SUPERHOT

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your memories and opinions of SUPERHOT for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

Friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
KSubzero1000

Re: 384: SUPERHOT

Post by KSubzero1000 »

SUPERHOT is a game that didn't really click with me in the way I was expecting it to. On paper at least, it does tick a lot of my boxes. Distinct visual style? Check. Refined mechanical structure? Check. Challenge modes that are geared towards replayability? Check.

I played through the campaign, which I found entertaining enough despite not really understanding the story and/or social commentary it was going for. Afterwards, I tackled the challenges but found myself bored halfway through, unfortunately. I think the issue for me is the perceived strategical shallowness. Conventional action games, even those without explicit scoring systems or challenge modes, tend to allow for a good deal of mechanical optimization. Finishing a Bayonetta mission with either a Pure Platinum or Stone medal may count as a success either way, but they are two completely different experiences, and that's where the lion's share of the replay value stems from for me. Whereas in SUPERHOT, all success states are equal and I don't feel motivated to revise whatever basic strategy currently gets the job done. Even on the katana-only challenges for example, I feel like I'm just waiting for the enemies to stop spawning so I can move on to the next one immediately afterwards.

I appreciate what it's trying to do, and I'll definitely stay on the lookout for more inventive action puzzle hybrids with unique gameplay loops of this sort in the future, but in the end, I probably would have regretted paying full price for this solid and memorable, yet underwhelming experience.

Three Words Review: "One Trick Pony"
iHateNumbers23

Post by iHateNumbers23 »

(PSVR version)

Playing Superhot for the first time stands out as the moment that sold me on virtual reality. Every aspect from the minimalistic props to the subtle vibration in the Move controller when you grab a gun simply fits together. When Superhot is at its best, you lose yourself in an endless sequence of abstract violence and motion. Sure, it can get slightly tedious if you’re stuck in a particular level, forced to repeat a few easier scenarios before giving the actual challenging part another go. The tracking can be imperfect or straight-up dysfunctional at times. Regardless, these are blemishes that practice and familiarity with the hardware’s limitations can largely do away with. What one is left with is action that has been distilled down to its constituent parts.
The_reviewist

Post by The_reviewist »

Superhot is that sort of viscerally immediate experience that's so simple you can't help but think, why didn't someone do it before? Graphically, it looks uncannily like a 3D remake Hotline Miami made on the engine of the 1993 Robocop 3 game on the Atari ST, but playing at a speed that would be unthinkable back then.

I picked up Superhot last year on PC and then played it on Xbox when it was a Games with Gold freebie, and both times I've been amazed at how it never fails to amaze me at the simple addictive nature of the game, although admittedly, the PC version works far better with the meta-narrative and the Dos-like interface.

Speaking of the meta narrative, the game does wonders with relatively little, and I've heard stories of people who refused to "free themselves from their corporeal form" while playing it on VR since the idea was just too disturbing.

It's only drawback is that while short and sweet, the multiple extra modes and challenges all prove a little repetitive, but for the low price it fetches these days, it's surely worth it, for this bite-sized piece of superviolent madness.
Superuser

Post by Superuser »

I first played the jam game and reluctantly kickstarted it after a friend pushed me to. I wasn't sure if the concept could be expanded into a full game.

I then 100%, completely completed SUPERHOT over 33 awesome hours. It is easily my favourite game of 2016. It was the most innovative shooter I had played in years.

The core gameplay loop is based entirely on its gimmick. It's extremely satisfying and gives it a feel that no other shooter can replicate. It is an action game at heart, but has an almost turn-based pace. The core of high level play can be summed up as 'stealing' turns and killing multiple red guys without giving them recourse, all while surviving. Everything dies in a single shot and the game even has a joke for when you try to score headshots.

The minimalism of the game carries over into the simple Bauhaus-inspired aesthetic, though it has a strong touch of the bizarre to it, particularly if you go after the secrets. This much should be apparent from your first death, whereupon you glitch through the world as your body is blown apart. In any other game, this would be classified as a bug, but in SUPERHOT, it totally fits with the theme and never fails to look cool.

I got to the end of the story in under 2 hours. It is quite self-aware, in a way that I think will leave a smile on your face by the end of it. Mega bonus points for ggroups.exe, which can be launched in-game. If you were ever on IRC, do yourself a favour and sit through this masterpiece.

One word of warning: many will tell you that the game is 'short'. This is true for the 'story mode' (though I wouldn't play this for the story), which should take under 2 hours to complete. But much like Bayonetta, if you beat it once and never play it again -- you have not played SUPERHOT. Playing it at high level, on the challenge and endless modes feels like a wholly different game.

Let me be very clear that you will be disappointed in the storyline that lays it on thick, except for a disturbing but memorable moment where you shoot yourself, along with the ending. It arguably sets the wrong expectations in that regard, and this is it's biggest failing; it's a shame few people went on to see the challenges as recycled content.
The game shines most with the diverse selection of challenge runs. It is only then that I realised how brilliant the design is on each level and how superbly the mechanics are expressed through them; I'm glad I forced myself through the first couple of challenges to really appreciate the game, after being lukewarm about the first two hours.

By the end of the 20+ hours (depending on your skill) of content, I started treating it like I used to treat Dynasty Warriors growing up; something I can pop in at anytime and enjoy without thinking too hard. It filled the same niche but gave me ten times the satisfaction and fun. I recommend SUPERHOT without reserve.

-----------------

In case you discuss this, I'll add that I've played much of the VR game through Steam family sharing around a friend's who has an Oculus Rift. It is his go-to showcase for VR along with Best Saber and ranks as his second most played VR game. He wasn't keen on the core game but we both agreed it's about as cool as it gets.

It's evident that a lot of thought went into translating the concept to VR, and it works a charm. It's stilly favourite VR game to date and for him, it's also the one that impressed him the most as a clearly VR-first game that offers something that can't be replicated with traditional inputs.

Finally, I have yet to play MIND CONTROL DELETE, but I have followed its progress and see that it has significantly expanded endless mode and polished up the core game as a whole. I will play it after it leaves early access.

And if you were wondering - Kickstarter backers got all three games for free, making it the most generous (good) crowdfunded game since Shovel Knight.

I hope you got something out of this and that it gives you a different perspective on a game that I felt was misunderstood. :)

Three word review: TOKI WO TOMARE!
Toon Scottoon

Re: Our next podcast recording (24.8.19) - 384: SUPERHOT

Post by Toon Scottoon »

I just finished playing Super Hot on Switch. I played it completely in handheld mode, because we are moving, and I’m in a gamer free house. I’ve got some intermittent joy con drift issues happening, which aren’t great for this game, but managed anyways. I’d never played Super Hot before, so I can’t compare it to other releases. I also haven’t read any of the comments on the board, but I’d wager there’s a lot of Portal talk taking place. It makes sense. Both are first person shooters/puzzlers where you manipulate physics and are antagonized by a computer. I thought about that game a lot too, but the game or rather series of games I thought about more while playing Super Hot was the Super Mario Bros. series.

Look maybe I’ve just got Mario on my mind because I’m loving messing with the Cane and Rinse levels in Maker 2, but just like in 2D Mario Games Super Hot makes you think that you are supposed to methodically pick your way through stages, when in actuality the game is typically easier, at least in my experience, the faster you move. It’s a cool sleight of hand trick that I found very rewarding, even though I guessed early on that when I was hurtling through the levels, that I was likely hurtling towards my own demise.

Speaking of that demise, I have to give the game credit for making me hesitate before killing off my own character’s body. I spent a good five minutes trying to shoot or mindswap with anything besides my character’s jacked in form. Eventually though I did the deed. If I hadn’t, how could I ever play more Super Hot?

Three word review: Tell Your Friends
Nyx-Blaster

Post by Nyx-Blaster »

I initially became interested in Superhot after watching SuperBestFriends play a portion of the 'story-mode' on their youtube channel and seeing how much fun they had figuring out how to survive each level. I thought that the visual style looked really cool, almost like an extremely minimalistic and barebones mirror's edge, but it was the gameplay that caught my eye with how stylish things were as you moved from one enemy to the next and cracked their skulls. Ultimately though i forgot about it until a few weeks ago when i saw it on sale and snatched it up.

When i started up the game i didn't really know what to expect other than what i had seen from that one youtube video. I thought that the game would offer a campaign to go off of, and while it does somewhat, it serves more as a tutorial than a narrative. There are snippets of stuff here and there that were presented that were interesting such as your nameless player character growing addicted to the digital gospel of S.U.P.E.R.H.O.T. and the system who is essentially trying to brainwash you and make you subservient, but i feel like they could have done much more with the story such as give you, the player, the choice as to whether to obey or go against the system. I feel like that would have been more satisfying overall rather than just giving in to the addiction and ultimately self destruction. However, though i found the story disappointing I think it does a good job getting you up to speed for the gameplay. When everything comes together, and you're dodging bullets and punching guys seconds before they shoot you, all the while grabbing their gun in midair and blowing them away, it feels really awesome. After the battle is done and you see the replay play out you can't help but feel a bit like John Wick as you take guys out left and right with near pin-point accuracy. It most definitely makes you feel SUPERHOT.

The 'story-mode' took me less than 2 hours to beat, but i think the main draw of the game is the 'Endless Mode' and 'Challenges' That you unlock after you complete the story. I tried my hand at most of the Endless Mode levels, usually clearing the first two levels per new map that was presented, but with each new level and location i found my motivation diminishing more and more. I have never been one to delve deep into score based or survival modes in games for more than an hour or so before never returning to them again, and though i tried to give Superhot the benefit of the doubt, i found that trend repeating itself. It's not that i wasn't having fun per say, but rather i was just playing the game without any zeal or excitement that others might feel as they try to optimize their skills and adapt to each environment. Whenever i lost i didnt really feel any motivation to do better, nor did i feel any motivation whenever i won. I was literally just there. As such, after playing a bit more i decided to put it down. Overall I did have some fun playing the game, but i am glad that i picked it up on sale rather than full price as the content it provides doesn't really engage with me personally. However if you are someone who likes challenge modes and such that test your skills in various ways this might be up your alley.
James

Post by James »

Thanks, all, for your contributions! :-D