Pilotwings

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Pilotwings

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your memories and opinions of Pilotwings for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

Friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Simonsloth

Re: Our next podcast recording (8.4.19) - 364: Pilotwings

Post by Simonsloth »

I played pilotwings for the first time this year on wiiU virtual console when I heard it was being covered by the show.

Overall I had a great experience and can’t recall playing anything like it for a long time. It stood out amongst the games i’ve tackled recently which have generally involved jumping, shooting and punching to win. The actual flying is incredibly satisfying and probably the highlight for me. The jet pack and paragliding sections were also enjoyable and seemed fair especially when compared to the parachute levels which were pretty terrible. I generally tackled each new set of challenges by doing these first as I knew I would be comfortable on the other modes. I had my fair share of frustration and didn’t seem to really ever master my parachute landing which led to a lot of trial and error. Despite this i still really enjoyed it and am looking forward to giving Pilotwings 64 a whirl in the near future.

I would liken the game to lemon sorbet. Refreshing, enjoyable and the perfect palate cleanser. Ultimately it was quite short lived but exactly what I needed without knowing it.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Do yourself a favour and look up the bonus stages in PW. They are the right amount of bonkers.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

The only one I seemed to get was the penguin diving one. I’ll look up how to get the others.

Thanks for the info!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I love flying in games. GTA, Just Cause, all the rest, it's always my favourite way to get around, and I'm pretty good at it. I can land a plane on the roads of San Andreas and take back off without a scratch. I think a lot of this love for flying in games goes directly back to Pilotwings. It's a fantastic game, and I've played it many times over the years. I never really enjoyed the parachuting, but the other events just had me grinning from start to finish. There is one blight on the game, and that's the bizarrely out of place attack helicopter level, just miserable, difficult annoyances that get in the way of the main game. I could sit and play through Pilotwings right now if I had time, just a brilliant game that I don't think was bettered in any of its sequels.

THREE WORD REVIEW: Fisherprice flight sim.