Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your memories and opinions of Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

Friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Simonsloth

Re: 359: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Post by Simonsloth »

I might change my name to 1 million credit Simon. I just made it through the second raft level which I found stupidly hard until I realised you could move the raft left and right!! Anyway I’m making steady progress now I’m using save states and there seem to be tiny safe spaces for me to use them. Looking at this and thinking I genuinely might get through.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Excellent. I am billion credit Leon.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Millionaires and billionaires up in here!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m going to a proper post on here I promise but I managed to get to the end in possibly the least heroic way by inching my way forward with save states after every possible action I did without dying.

When I beat the final boss with a huge roar I realised I have to do the whole game again because I didnt have the right weapon. Argh!!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Did you not listen to our previous GnG shows?
😆
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

ratsoalbion wrote: February 19th, 2019, 7:25 pm Did you not listen to our previous GnG shows?
😆
Yes I did but this is Super Ghouls and Ghosts I’ve never finished one (and I forgot).
paleAvenger

Re: Our next podcast recording (28.2.19) - 359: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Post by paleAvenger »

Hearing your earlier episodes mention that this entry is easier than its predecessors just about gave me an anxiety attack, because Super Ghouls and Ghosts is SADISTIC.

The momentum conservation of your jump is bad enough, killing poor Arthur more often than anything else. A leap out of harm’s way usually led to me noticing all too late that a new enemy or projectile is moving directly (and unavoidably) into my new path.

The environment changes in unforeseeable ways that are guaranteed to cost a few lives until you memorize the patterns. Walls and pillars block Arthur’s progress and his attacks, but not those of his enemies. Enemies spawn in midair, trapping you. Impressive-looking armor upgrades yield no defensive improvement. Several weapons are basically useless. Enemies even have lengthy invincibility periods (during which they can still kill Arthur, of course).

What really summed up Super Ghouls and Ghosts was the first time that I opened a treasure chest, only for a wizard to leap out and turn Arthur into a baby. Half a second later, infant Arthur was simultaneously eaten by a wolf and set on fire. As I screamed at the uncaring void, a part of me had to laugh at the sheer delight this game takes in finding new ways to murder the player.

It took me over 3 hours and hundreds of deaths across multiple play sessions to claw through the very first level. You all have my undying admiration for persevering through this game, but I for one am happy to admit defeat and play something else instead.
Simonsloth

Re: Our next podcast recording (28.2.19) - 359: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Post by Simonsloth »

Completing a game in the Ghouls and Ghosts series has become something of a personal goal for me. Diabolically hard as a child, ridiculously tricky as an adolescent and soul destroyingly difficult as an adult. I have approached each one of these games with trepidation as to how far down the rabbit hole I’m going to fall this time. For me I rarely give up on a game without seeing the credits roll unless it’s really not my cup of tea. So, the previous two entries have been something of a blemish on my copybook. I decided that this one I was going to see those credits.

I made it through the first level relatively easily after only the 200th attempt (give or take ten credits here or there). So pretty much plain sailing until I reached the floating level on the log which was made all the more difficult by my own ineptitude. The first couple of logs you jump on swirl in little whirlpools and to inch over the edge ends in death so one would assume the same of subsequent logs. This led to me being stuck on a log on the far right of the screen having to time jumps before anything appeared on the screen. I started writing down the timings to the second of each hazard which I encountered until I found it completely impossible. A quick look at youtube gave me the answer that you could move the log left and right. Yes I am an imbecile. Suddenly this impossible section was rendered possible but still one for the videogame savants and I resorted to save states for this sequence.

I hold my hands up and say that I used them throughout the rest of the game but increasingly sparingly. Surprisingly aside from the two sequences on the moving platforms I found the game got easier as it went on and many of the bosses were defeated through cheap shots and cowardice. So, a mere few thousand attempts later which is probably an underestimate I defeated the final boss. Following my Rocky Balboa style collapse to my knees whilst I shouted my wife's name covered in blood, sweat and tears I noticed Arthur's damsel in distress slowly telling me I needed to return with a bracelet to defeat the true final boss. Suddenly I remembered the previous podcasts and the need for another playthrough, right from the beginning but harder. I felt sick.

I beat the game again. It took me an evening. I didn't get the bracelet. Fortunately, the game is kind and sends you back to the beginning of the 6th level this time. I did it again. No bracelet. I read some forums for tips. No bracelet. I then watched a YouTube walkthrough and found the easiest way was to open multiple chests in a row without getting hit until you unlock the armour which reveals a hidden chest with the bracelet. WHAT! So technically in this really hard game I have been made to playthrough twice in its entirety and then the last levels multiple additional times I now have to get through some very tricky sequences without getting hit.

It turns out by this point I’m actually quite good at the game and this wasn't that hard. So I reached the final boss who would have been nigh on impossible to January Simon but February Simon annihilated him.... after about 300 goes. This time I sat in silence. No celebration just the sound of my own heartbeat. Piece of cake really.

This whole saga has made me appreciate the youtubers and speedrunners who are able to tackle games like this. I realise it takes skill but like anything to get good it takes an immense amount of time...…. and tea. Lots and lots of tea.

Three Word Review:
Piece of Cake

P.S apologies for the long post