Waypoint: Need for Speed: The Run

Virtual walking tours of the spaces within videogames with an eye for detail.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Waypoint: Need for Speed: The Run

Post by ratsoalbion » November 15th, 2016, 8:54 pm

This video is part of a series in which we explore San Francisco as it has been depicted in various videogames over the years. In this video, we race through the streets of San Francisco in Need for Speed: The Run.

Waypoint: Need for Speed: The Run by Ryan Hamann

If you like these Waypoint videos you can find more over on the Official Cane and Rinse YouTube channel.

Scrustle

Re: Waypoint: Need for Speed: The Run

Post by Scrustle » November 15th, 2016, 10:03 pm

Oh wow, this game. Surprised anyone is talking about it at all, let alone for geographical analysis. What a messy, ungraceful end for Black Box this game was. What were they thinking with all those cutscenes and QTEs? These guys were also the studio who made the Stake games, coincidentally. That's why there's no Skate 4, despite people always going on about wanting it.

But anyway, interesting video. Didn't expect this game to care about accuracy in any way at all. I've been liking these videos, although I think sometimes they can go on for a bit long. So it was kind of refreshing seeing a shorter one. Although that was also a bit of a surprise too, given how there seems to have been a mistake with the video going on for another half hour after finishing. I was doubtful you could get 40 minutes out of a single location in this game too. Some blooper footage at the end it seems.

Good to hear other racing games will get a look in on this series too. Driver will be an especially interesting one, since that's not trying to be exactly accurate. It'll be interesting to see what liberties they took.

There are a few other racing games that might be worth checking out for this series too. The PGR, NFS Shift, and Grid games would all be interesting to see compared to the cities they portray. I've also always wondered exactly how close the Test Drive Unlimited games are to the areas they take place in. I think they're supposed to be to scale, although perhaps not including every single road on Oahu and Ibiza. But still, I'd really like to see how well they do it.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 16th, 2016, 12:41 am

I think this is actually the longest one so far Scrustle!?
:?:

Indiana747
Location: My house, in a field, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan, Ireland.

Post by Indiana747 » November 16th, 2016, 12:55 am

Terrible mess of a game, my review of it consisted of casting the disc to a firey demise. A fitting tribute to a shit game that had some of the most infuriating flaws i have ever come across in a game.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » November 16th, 2016, 9:01 am

ratsoalbion wrote:I think this is actually the longest one so far Scrustle!?
Maybe something went off with the upload, he says there's 30 minutes of dead air on it?

Looks fine to me from here, 15 minutes long. Could be a browser issue.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 16th, 2016, 9:10 am

Flabyo wrote:
ratsoalbion wrote:I think this is actually the longest one so far Scrustle!?
Maybe something went off with the upload, he says there's 30 minutes of dead air on it?

Looks fine to me from here, 15 minutes long. Could be a browser issue.
Oh, how curious! I did not realise.