Volume Six podcast listing

Archive for issues 251 - 300
ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Re: Volume Six podcast listing

Post by ratsoalbion » December 25th, 2016, 12:08 am

seansthomas wrote:By the way, sure that certain games (eg. JRPGs) in the list are tricky to cover given their size, but also noticed you sometimes get guests from the forum on to help make up the numbers.
Should the only thing stopping you from tackling Xenoblade Chronicles / XC X be number of personnel, I'd happily volunteer my services! Scott White from Bit Socket is a huge fan too if you wanted a higher profile guest...
Thanks Sean, appreciate it. Long reply coming up:

As you can see, with the entire Witcher trilogy, Skyward Sword, Tales of Vesperia, Final Fantasy I and II, Destiny and the like it's not as though we're shying away from covering a few epic games.

While I've opened up Sound of Play to community members (more of whom will feature in 2017), we don't usually tend to go blind into inviting community members and/or acquaintances onto the Cane and Rinse podcast.

Even if we know that someone can write/post articulately, unless they have been 'blooded' then we can't say for sure that they have basic microphone technique, a lack of nerves and are able to articulate verbally.
Further to that, some people simply have non-broadcast-compatible voices!

There's also a lot to learn and remember when joining the Cane and Rinse panel - we have a lot of 'house style' stipulations and that type of thing. It takes time to train people up which we don't really have.

A regular listener might get all that and slot in perfectly... but then again they might have missed the point of the show entirely and fall into (what I consider to be) the 'pitfalls' that many other games podcasts do - which we try very hard to avoid.

I'm not saying that you, or any number of our amazing posters and contributors couldn't do it brilliantly, it's just that without knowing in advance it would be a tremendous gamble on our part.

FYI, Ryan Hamann (no longer currently appearing - although still editing, bless him - on the Cane and Rinse podcast due to his exciting new job at Nintendo) to all intents and purposes - sent us an audition tape that was so impressive I had to get him involved immediately.

It's nothing about the 'profile' of the guest though - I favour expertise and passion over popularity any day (ideally the two come together of course).

The main factor as regards to whether we cover a particular game or not though is that there has to be the appetite among at the very least one (a host), and preferably two or three core Cane and Rinse team members.

The reason that certain games aren't there (yet) is because we have a list of 1500+ titles (30 years worth) and we can only do 50 per year so we do the ones - across a spread of generations and genres - that we most want to do.

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Post by ratsoalbion » December 25th, 2016, 12:10 am

gallo_pinto wrote:
ratsoalbion wrote:
gallo_pinto wrote:
JaySevenZero wrote:296 - Mega Man / Mega Man 2
297 - Final Fantasy (I) / Final Fantasy II
So...are you all starting a Mega Man and a Final Fantasy series that would theoretically continue into Volume 7?
Possibly but not definitely. We'll see if the appetite is there.
Cool! I thought the Zelda franchise was ambitious, but Final Fantasy would be another level altogether! Though it does feel like the series has gotten a bit of a lift from 14. I'll definitely play these ones for the podcast though.
By all accounts FFII is a bit of a 'hump' (see also Zelda II), so if we get past that then we'll likely be motivated to push on through to the ones we really want to cover: VI, VII and beyond.
It wouldn't be a one-a-month deal though, probably long gaps between each as per The Witcher.

Sam_What
Guardian

Post by Sam_What » December 25th, 2016, 7:56 pm

That list looks great and I can't wait to listen along!

Although I sadly have experience with only a select few on this list, I would really like to play along with C&R as much as I can. I've got my finger hovering over Undertale (and Thomas Was Alone) on Steam, but I start a new job in January and I don't know how much time I'm going to have - plus I'm going to have to hurry up and finish Grim Fandango soon!

I know I'm super late to the party on Undertale (still haven't arrived technically) but I'm even more encouraged to finally start after seeing it on your Vol. 6 List. I'm also really looking forward to hearing the concluding episodes of the Zelda series as well as listening in on The Witcher series, which I've applauded from afar but never played.
Lots to look forward to, thanks C&R team! Also, Happy Christmas everyone!! :P

seansthomas
Guardian

Post by seansthomas » December 25th, 2016, 8:21 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
seansthomas wrote:By the way, sure that certain games (eg. JRPGs) in the list are tricky to cover given their size, but also noticed you sometimes get guests from the forum on to help make up the numbers.
Should the only thing stopping you from tackling Xenoblade Chronicles / XC X be number of personnel, I'd happily volunteer my services! Scott White from Bit Socket is a huge fan too if you wanted a higher profile guest...
Thanks Sean, appreciate it. Long reply coming up:

As you can see, with the entire Witcher trilogy, Skyward Sword, Tales of Vesperia, Final Fantasy I and II, Destiny and the like it's not as though we're shying away from covering a few epic games.

While I've opened up Sound of Play to community members (more of whom will feature in 2017), we don't usually tend to go blind into inviting community members and/or acquaintances onto the Cane and Rinse podcast.

Even if we know that someone can write/post articulately, unless they have been 'blooded' then we can't say for sure that they have basic microphone technique, a lack of nerves and are able to articulate verbally.
Further to that, some people simply have non-broadcast-compatible voices!

There's also a lot to learn and remember when joining the Cane and Rinse panel - we have a lot of 'house style' stipulations and that type of thing. It takes time to train people up which we don't really have.

A regular listener might get all that and slot in perfectly... but then again they might have missed the point of the show entirely and fall into (what I consider to be) the 'pitfalls' that many other games podcasts do - which we try very hard to avoid.

I'm not saying that you, or any number of our amazing posters and contributors couldn't do it brilliantly, it's just that without knowing in advance it would be a tremendous gamble on our part.

FYI, Ryan Hamann (no longer currently appearing - although still editing, bless him - on the Cane and Rinse podcast due to his exciting new job at Nintendo) to all intents and purposes - sent us an audition tape that was so impressive I had to get him involved immediately.

It's nothing about the 'profile' of the guest though - I favour expertise and passion over popularity any day (ideally the two come together of course).

The main factor as regards to whether we cover a particular game or not though is that there has to be the appetite among at the very least one (a host), and preferably two or three core Cane and Rinse team members.

The reason that certain games aren't there (yet) is because we have a list of 1500+ titles (30 years worth) and we can only do 50 per year so we do the ones - across a spread of generations and genres - that we most want to do.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply; it really is the nicest forum around!

Totally understand. Posted this after a few last night and being honest, I totally get where you're coming from and regretted doing so. I ran a site myself for years and it started to fall apart when we lost sight of our USP. I fully expected there to be an audition needed too, figured you don't just get to be on such a professional show without proving your worth!

I'd not volunteer my services for any other game either, but I've a huge amount of love for this one title and know the length of it means most bounce off of it; have written about it professionally before. So it'd probably be a love in anyhow!

Look forward to the new run beginning...

GoodShrewsbury
Guardian

Post by GoodShrewsbury » December 26th, 2016, 4:07 pm

Man, I am super excited to play along with this volume. The Witcher series is a personal favorite. But SOUL REAVER! Yes, after nearly 2 decades I have a reason to go back and complete this gem.

Great list and I really love what you guys do, but I admit I am slightly disappointed there's no Metal Gear Solid 5 here. That is my most highly anticipated podcast, once the team get around to it.

Craig
Guardian

Post by Craig » December 27th, 2016, 5:40 am

Super excited about the list and also about getting my podcast routine back. I often have to head to the hospital on Monday afternoon and while it's just a blood test and chatting about the results, there are still long periods of waiting around. Obviously it's not the cheeriest place to be, even when results are going well, so I usually pass the time listening to the newest episode. And now I can check the list and plan to finish certain games! (Not to mention I finished Spirit Tracks in November and I've had a bone to pick with it ever since...)

A little bit of advice for Megaman newbies - The first game is a little rough and the difficulty is a bit much, especially with a certain boss towards the end of the game, but Megaman 2 is amazing and definitely manageable. Persevere! And if you're not one of the crew who has to finish it, if you're banging your head against the wall with the first, try 2!

Lokhe
Guardian

Post by Lokhe » January 2nd, 2017, 11:45 pm

Could've sworn I saw Unravel in the teaser posted :( Very happy to see Perfect Dark in there however. One of my favourite games ever, a childhood classic!

gallo_pinto
Guardian

Post by gallo_pinto » January 3rd, 2017, 2:21 pm

Lokhe wrote:Could've sworn I saw Unravel in the teaser posted :( Very happy to see Perfect Dark in there however. One of my favourite games ever, a childhood classic!
Haha, I had the same thought. If it's the same picture that I mistook for Unravel, it was really Chibi-Robo.

Unravel:

Chibi-Robo:

Jobobonobo
Guardian

Post by Jobobonobo » January 10th, 2017, 12:56 pm

This looks like an interesting list alright! Always wanted an excuse to play Grim Fandango, Chibi Robo and Beyond Good and Evil so this should give me the push I need! Particularly looking forward to the Mario Kart, Viewtiful Joe, Blast Corps and Spirit Tracks episodes. Impressed that you are going to begin tackling the Final Fantasy series this volume, will it be done as a set number per year in the next couple of volumes seeing as doing one per month might not be the most practical way of going about it?

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Post by ratsoalbion » January 10th, 2017, 1:52 pm

Jobobonobo wrote:Impressed that you are going to begin tackling the Final Fantasy series this volume, will it be done as a set number per year in the next couple of volumes seeing as doing one per month might not be the most practical way of going about it?
We haven't committed to any further Final Fantasy shows at this point, it will depend on the internal and external response, as well as other considerations. It definitely wouldn't be one a month though (see also: The Witcher).
;)

Jobobonobo
Guardian

Post by Jobobonobo » January 10th, 2017, 4:53 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
Jobobonobo wrote:Impressed that you are going to begin tackling the Final Fantasy series this volume, will it be done as a set number per year in the next couple of volumes seeing as doing one per month might not be the most practical way of going about it?
We haven't committed to any further Final Fantasy shows at this point, it will depend on the internal and external response, as well as other considerations. It definitely wouldn't be one a month though (see also: The Witcher).
;)
Fair enough. Going through all the Zeldas was ambitious enough as it is! Will definitely give it a listen, should be interesting to see if the first two games hold up.

Jobobonobo
Guardian

Post by Jobobonobo » January 10th, 2017, 4:59 pm

Just seen that you answered my question already by replying to gallo pinto. Oops, will try and read the thread before I comment!

jbtheskater
Guardian

Post by jbtheskater » January 23rd, 2017, 10:52 am

This is such a good list!

Craig
Guardian

Post by Craig » January 28th, 2017, 8:40 am

Are you busy? Want to play along with the podcast, but think you don't have the time? I have just the list for you!

Here is the list of upcoming games but only listing games with completion times under ten hours. I used https://howlongtobeat.com/ for the data which relies on user submissions and only main story times so it's not the entire picture, and the nature of the site doesn't handle puzzle or arcade games well leaving you with things like Tetris having a main story time of 7 hours while Robotron is just 5 minutes.

Click the spoiler for the list -
Spoiler: show
255 - The Order: 1886 7 hours
256 - Undertale 6 1/2 hours
258 - They Breathe 31 minutes
259 - Blast Corps 9 1/2 hours
262 - Project Gotham Racing/Project Gotham Racing 2
263 - Gone Home 2 hours
268 - Flashback 6 1/2 hours
269 - Perfect Dark 8 1/2 hours
270 - Tetris
271 - Double Dragon series - Many games under 2 hours
273 - Robotron 2084
275 - Viewtiful Joe 8 Hours
276 - R-Type 1 1/2 hours
278 - Joust
280 - Until Dawn 8 Hours
281 - Super Hexagon
282 - Super Mario Kart
285 - Double Dragon Neon 3 1/2 hours
286 - Mortal Kombat / II / 3 / UMK3 / Trilogy
287 - Blade Runner 9 hours
288 - The Room trilogy Each game around 3 hours
289 - SOMA 9 hours
290 - Bayonetta 2 9 1/2 hours
294 - Capcom Versus series
296 - Mega Man / Mega Man 2 3 hours each
298 - Mario Kart 64
299 - Call of Duty 7 1/2 hours

Stanshall
Guardian

Post by Stanshall » January 28th, 2017, 11:52 am

Thanks, that's really helpful. Definitely going to be a few on there I make the effort to finish, including Until Dawn and Soma.

rob25X
Guardian

Post by rob25X » April 18th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here. Could anyone tell me when the Perfect Dark podcast will be available on iTunes?

Also, how and where can I submit my word review? (Best Game Ever)

Thanks to anyone who can help me. Cheers.

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Post by ratsoalbion » April 18th, 2017, 10:07 pm

Hello!

The PD podcast should be out on May 21st.

You can submit a three word review any time via the appropriate thread in the podcast game discussion folder - but - please note that we never read out 'best game ever' ones (which we receive for almost every game we ever cover, rendering it meaningless)!

We prefer three word reviews that are clever or funny but that also capture the essence of the game in question.

Hope this helps!

PapaJupe13
Guardian

Post by PapaJupe13 » April 19th, 2017, 10:25 pm

I am interested in the Mad Max podcast.
In baseball, there is a term called a "meatball". A meatball is perfect pitch right down the middle that is easily hit for a home run.
Mad Max should have been a meatball.
Instead it is the laziest game I have ever played in my life. They basically took the Assassin's Creed/Mordor/Arkham model and slapped a coat of Mad Max-ish paint on it. All games can feel repetitive, but it is compounded with Mad max by the fact that we have already done all this over and over before countless times in better games.
The Mad Max series has always been my favorite series of movies. Since I was a kid. The license deserves so much better than a lazy remake of superior games. It deserved to be buried by MGSV.

My 3 word review would be Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Though I am thinking of firing it up again before you podcast airs. Maybe so much time away from it and adjusted expectations will change my view of it. Doubt it, but maybe.

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Post by ratsoalbion » April 19th, 2017, 11:08 pm

Hey PapaJupe, please follow this link to find the dedicated Mad Max podcast thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1772

You may wish to re-post the above as the Mad Max show's host is less likely to incorporate your submission from here.

Alex79uk
Guardian

Post by Alex79uk » May 14th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Hey guys are the episodes still coming out on a Sunday? Only for the last few weeks they've not been available to me until the Monday, and I wondered if it was a problem at my end or if they're just being released a day later?