Tetris - Cane and Rinse 270

Archive for issues 251 - 300
JaySevenZero
Vanguard

Tetris - Cane and Rinse 270

Post by JaySevenZero » May 29th, 2017, 11:43 am

“LINES LEFT”

Tetris: Such a simple, elegant game with such a complex and convoluted back story. Leon, Josh, Karl and Leah recall the heights of their Tetris addictions and the versions (among countless versions) that worked for them and those incarnations which failed to capture the spark of Alexey Pazhitnov's original. As usual, the panel is embellished by the memories of the Cane and Rinse community, and also discuss high level play of both t

Music used in this issue:

Track 1: Tetris theme (Game Boy version) by Hirokazu Tanaka (Russian trad.)
Track 2: Tetris theme (Tetris Ultimate version) by Nick Laviers (Russian trad.)

Cane and Rinse 270 was edited by Sean O'Brien.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

caponeadam
Guardian

Re: Tetris - Cane and Rinse 270

Post by caponeadam » June 11th, 2017, 5:29 pm

Great episode that covered just about everything I could have hoped for. Agreed with the decision not to go too in depth into the copyright narrative and instead focus on breaking down what the game is and how it's evolved in it's many incarnations.

One question that was on my mind throughout the show, that was briefly touched on by Leah towards the end was if phenomenon such as 'Tetris' could be replicated in this day and age? Are there now many 'perfect' games that just get lost due to the mass volume of games being developed? I tried really hard to think of a popular modern Tetris but all I can really think of is Bejeweled and CandyCrush,. Are those also perfect games? that miss out of the prestige because Tetris was the 'original'? Have we REALLY just never had such a 'perfect' game developed as Tetris or have games just become so big now that it's more difficult to stand out?

Also, I was wondering about the future. Licensing issues aside and now that Nintendo are making mobile games could we ever see a Nintendo Tetris game? In many ways you'd think a mobile version of Tetris would be such an obvious success! I know others have tried it (EA I believe brought out an official Tetris mobile game)but it didn't appear to take off, I didn't play it so am guessing they missed some of the fundamental important parts of Tetris as were discussed on the show. Did I miss it but I don't believe you mentioned this EA Mobile version on the show?

Alex79uk
Guardian

Post by Alex79uk » June 11th, 2017, 5:45 pm

The EA mobile version is Tetris Blitz and is dreadful. It isn't the traditional version of the game at all. A 'proper' Tetris on mobile would be great, if a little fiddly at high speeds I'd have thought.

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Post by ratsoalbion » June 11th, 2017, 5:45 pm

Hi Adam, thanks for the kind words and great to have you post here.

I certainly had the EA mobile Tetris on my show-notes, but I think I only mentioned it very briefly in passing.
It may even be the case that it didn't make the edit as none of us had played it.

I've certainly had some fun playing (relatively) modern 'match three' type puzzlers, but I think there's something about the Tetromino shapes and line-making mechanic that gives those games something extra special.

I'm not sure which the first true 'match three' type game was off the top of my head, but I certainly associate them with games such as Sega's Columns, which arrived very quickly during the initial wave of 'me too' Tetris 'clones'.

Alex79uk
Guardian

Post by Alex79uk » June 11th, 2017, 5:51 pm

The first match stuff type game (and it may not have been match 3 specifically, I can't remember now!) was Puzznic on the Amstrad. I remember having a demo of it on an Amstrad Action coverage and playing it over and over again. Wikipedia says it was released in 1989, which would have been around the same time as Columns I'm guessing. There did seem to be a ton of match type puzzlers coming out back then, and it hasn't slowed down since!

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Post by ratsoalbion » June 11th, 2017, 5:59 pm

You're right, Puzznic does predate Columns by up to a year. The original arcade version of Puzznic was 1989, though the home ports didn't arrive until the following year at least.

Apparently the first (non electronic Mahjong - which is arguably the forerunner of all matching tile games) videogame match tile type puzzler was a game called Chain Shot!, aka SameGame, which although at 1985 dates after the Soviet version of Tetris, makes it before any home versions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SameGame

Some other pre-Tetris computer game puzzlers I remember include Sokoban (1981) and Zenji (Activision, 1984).

As is usually the case, the one we all think of as 'the first' is actually far from it. More of this in our Robotron: 2084 podcast next week!

Flabyo
Guardian

Post by Flabyo » June 11th, 2017, 9:13 pm

TV tropes has a thing where they try to acknowledge the first use of a trope where they can, but put more emphasis on what they call the 'ur-example'. I.e., the one that did the most to popularise the use of the trope.

I think that applies equally to game design. I love reading about the history of early gaming, and how you often discover that a system you thought was first in game X was actually predates by game Y. But away from the historical fun of it, there's an argument that the game that used it best is the one that everyone actually copies.

For example, lots of third person shooters put in cover sections after Gears of War, but Gears lifted its system wholesale from an earlier title.

It's not alway who was first, but who was best.

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Post by ratsoalbion » June 11th, 2017, 9:35 pm

I'd say that the most likely to be influential is the one that was most popular and therefore most commercially successful and/or widely played, which - as we all know - isn't necessarily the one that was 'best' (which is a subjective matter anyway).