The Witcher - Cane and Rinse 274

Archive for issues 251 - 300
JaySevenZero
Vanguard

The Witcher - Cane and Rinse 274

Post by JaySevenZero » June 26th, 2017, 8:32 am

“Old age is no jest!”

The first of four podcasts covering CD Projekt Red’s celebrated series of RPGs. Leon, Josh and Sean each complete the 2007 original (or the 2008 Enhanced Edition anyway) and report back on the humble beginnings of The Witcher.
The Cane and Rinse community provides us with some extra experiences and insight, while your pith Three Word Reviews from Twitter round out the show. Geralt, The White Wolf of Rivia – your story begins…

Music used in this issue:

1. Dusk of a Northern Kingdom by Adam Skorupa and Pawel Blaszczak
2. River of Life by Adam Skorupa and Pawel Blaszczak

Cane and Rinse 274 was edited by Sean O'Brien.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Todinho
Guardian

Re: The Witcher - Cane and Rinse 274

Post by Todinho » June 26th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Listenned to it this morning and it was great as ever, it was really interesting hearing how someone like Sean who doesnt really play games with keyboard and mouse had real trouble getting into this game especially given that I had sort of the opposite problem with the third game where I feel the designed it with a controller in mind.

Just a few comments on a few things you guys said, on that interview on Rock paper shotgun, it's a bit ironic that the dev goes and says that the strength of the witcher it's because of it's focus on real people and not say an invasion of demons from another world given the main plot of witcher 3 and that also being one of the main reasons I didnt get super into the plot of that one.

Also on the book author, his repeated statements made me completelly turned off from reading his books, he hates the games mainlly for 2 reasons: First he doesnt think videogames have any merits as a storytelling medium and has said so repeateadly, second, and most importantly I think, he got screwed in the deal he made with CD Projekt on the rights for the games due to his own stupidity, given his contempt for videogames when CD Projekt approached him for the rights instead of asking for royalties he decided to ask for a sum of money upfront probably thinking the game would be nothing, well it didnt turned out that way the games became super popular and successfull to the point that they've completelly eclipsed the books in the public consciousness, perhaps not in Poland or Eastern Europe I dont know, but certainlly everywhere else. So CD Projekt made a bunch of money and he saw nothing of it.

Flabyo
Guardian

Post by Flabyo » June 26th, 2017, 5:31 pm

The books are actually well worth a read, more so with regard to the third game though as that's the game that takes most from the novels (the books after the short story collections are mostly focused on Ciri)

I've also seen interviews with the author where he seemed pretty pleased that more people were reading the books now, as the popularity of the games has seen them all translated in English now.

I get the impression he's a pretty grumpy guy in general, and being asked in interviews all the time about the games understandably winds him up to a certain extent. Probably similar to how George R. Martin is pretty sick of all the 'why are you so slow?' stuff.

Basically, the tone he takes in interviews re the games seems to vary on what sort of mood he's in that day.

Stanshall
Guardian

Post by Stanshall » June 26th, 2017, 7:07 pm

I didn't mention because I've not played this but I'd massively recommend the audiobooks, fantastic delivery and a wide variety of voices. Well worth anyone's time.

Todinho
Guardian

Post by Todinho » June 26th, 2017, 10:21 pm

Flabyo wrote:
June 26th, 2017, 5:31 pm
The books are actually well worth a read, more so with regard to the third game though as that's the game that takes most from the novels (the books after the short story collections are mostly focused on Ciri)
Another problem of mine with the third game XD, as someone who only played the games I felt I was being punnished for not reading the books by in third game, I thought about reading it afterwards but then I saw all the author comments and honestly it isnt gonna add anything to the story points I care about the most because they were created for the games only so i have no urge to do so, I'll probably check the netflix series eventually though.

JaySevenZero
Vanguard

Post by JaySevenZero » June 28th, 2017, 11:03 pm

Stanshall wrote:
June 26th, 2017, 7:07 pm
I didn't mention because I've not played this but I'd massively recommend the audiobooks, fantastic delivery and a wide variety of voices. Well worth anyone's time.
Wholeheartedly agree with this statement, Peter Kenny does an incredible job at voicing the many and varied cast (including the female roles), giving them all a genuine sense of character. Interestingly, he depicts Geralt with a Northern accent and Ciri with a Scottish one, which I felt possibly worked better than the games, especially where Dandelion is concerned (right down to the idiosyncratic pronuciation of his name - which reminded me of the British sitcom Keeping Up Appearances).