Life Is Strange - Cane and Rinse 277

Archive for issues 251 - 300
kintaris
Guardian

Re: Life Is Strange - Cane and Rinse 277

Post by kintaris » August 18th, 2017, 9:18 pm

I don't feel there's need to add much more here, but I am so thankful that this podcast exists. Over on the TA Playlist forum the community are playing this for August, and the amount of people that swoon over this is mystifying. More worryingly, a huge chunk of players think it's totally fine and rational to
Spoiler: show
wipe out the whole of Arcadia Bay and possibly irreprably damage the space-time continuum
at the end of the game. Thought I was going mad.

I will concede that despite the horrendous dialogue in both this game and Remember Me (Dontnod's first title, which I have a soft spot for), there's something compelling in how the characters are drawn. Maybe there's some compelling characterisation going on beneath the verbal diahorrea, but despite my wife and I laughing all the way through the drama we were still moved somewhat when the credits rolled.

I think it's a few stand out moments that save the game. Some scenes with Warren are lovely and sweet, as are some moments between Chloe and Max. Obviously the rooftop sequence with Kate is a decent bit of drama, and even some of the breakthrough moments with Taylor and Victoria are OK.

I also applaud the attempt to address a variety of issues like disability, anxiety, bullying and mental illness, not as side projects but as key parts of the main narrative. It's only a shame they didn't push further with some of them. For example it was a shame that the serious disability encountered in the alternate timeline was simply (and rapidly) fatal - if it had been a survivable disability that one could own and make the most of, even at significant financial and social cost, that could have been a much more interesting grey area in terms of deciding which reality was preferable. And of course a lot of the game's credibility as a social commentary is crushed by the handling of Nathan's psychological struggles and a serial killer making dad jokes.

I don't think Dontnod need new writers - I think they're on to something. What they need is a good script editor. Someone who can see the core of what they're getting at and be ruthless enough to chop out their beloved puns and throwaway idioms.

I trained as a script editor at university so I will make myself freely available for Vampyr. I'm cheap too ;)
Sam Quirke - @kintaris

Flabyo
Guardian

Post by Flabyo » August 18th, 2017, 10:13 pm

Part of me thinks Vampyr as an idea probably suits their style of dialogue pretty well...

I wonder if they might’ve benefited from doing this game in French and subtitling it instead? If you’re gonna arthouse it up, and you’re a French studio in the first place, why not?

KSubzero1000
Guardian

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 18th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Flabyo wrote:
August 18th, 2017, 10:13 pm
I wonder if they might’ve benefited from doing this game in French and subtitling it instead? If you’re gonna arthouse it up, and you’re a French studio in the first place, why not?
Well, because having american characters who speak French would be goofy as hell? What a contrived notion. It would just stick out like a sore thumb. The french language is not inherently more refined or artsy, despite its reputation within the English-speaking world.

Now if it were french characters speaking French even in the international version, that would be a different story. In fact, I'd like to see more video games opt for subtitles and original languages instead of the universal, lowest-common-denominator localized dubbing that is the norm nowadays. A big part of cinematic culture is appreciating subtitled films from all over the world in their authentic, unaltered state. I think it'd be nice to see video games move away from the "games as a service"-mentality and embrace the multifaceted aspect of human culture. That's why I was so glad to be able to play The Witcher in Polish and Metro in Russian, by the way. Or why Yakuza is so much more enjoyable in its native Japanese.

(Just imagine God of War in ancient Greek!)