Overwatch

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
Flabyo

Re: Overwatch

Post by Flabyo »

5 hours to go...

The odds of me staying up till midnight to get a few rounds in are... Greater than zero actually.

The servers might even hold, I can't imagine they'll have *more* players than the beta had.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Things seemed to get off to a rocky start with the usual login problems for the first fifteen minutes or so, but it's been flawless since then. I wonder if Blizzard turned on the servers late just to mess with us?
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Nah. It'll be the same system we use where I work. We run a few servers as possible until they're under strain for N minutes. Once that condition is met more instances of the server are created for as long as their required and then shut down and get deleted if they're not being used. Keeps costs down so you're not running more servers than you actually need. Quite smart really!

I can remember the launch of FF14. A friend of mine convinced me I should get it but I didn't get to play that for a week because they were always 'too busy'. I think they were hoping people would drop off rather than paying for more servers.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Just had my first match and got play of the game hanging off a Reaper as Mercy keeping him alive while he mowed down everything in the universe! Got 8 votes at the end too! Did heal over 8,000 hp for my team though! What a GAME :D
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

You got play of the game as Mercy?

And here I am playing Lúcio like a sucker.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

8,000 hp mas way above what I'd normally manage to be honest. Think I usually get between 5-6,000. I did pull a belter off though. I had my ultimate charged, Soldier came down the left flank and mowed three of my team down. I grappled one of their bodies popped my ultimate, rezzed all three before he dropped me too. By the time I re-spawned they'd dealt with him and were all back on the objective.

Felt good :D
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Decided to pick this up on a whim as I've been home from work due to illness for a couple of days. It's a fun game, but as with so many team-based shooters the amount of fun depends on the other players that you're matched up with. I've had some brilliantly balanced games, with players changing their character in a rock, paper, scissors-style frenzy. But then I've played games where everyone plays as Bastion and just tries to go in alone.

There's also a fairly steep learning curve once you're past the early levels. I still can't figure out how to counter Mei and her freeze ray, other than to stay back and pick her off from afar. However, I'm finding the snipers a little underpowered (but that may just be me being rubbish). Anyway, if anyone wants to add me on PS4 my username is 'laj105'
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

haha as someone who constantly gets picked off by snipers while playing as support I have to disagree that they are underpowered XD
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

I'm with Todinho on this one. I've been ventilated loads of times by Widowmaker. And I've just as many as her. If you're a head shot demon then you'll be dropping most non tank enemies in one shot. As for Mei, you've got that tactic nailed. She's only effective in close range combat compared to most other heroes.

Pro tip. If you get owned in spectacular fashion. Log it for use at a later date. Won a match before in Hollywood where the opposing team were about 10 meters from the finish with 45 seconds on the clock. They were all pushing up behind Reinhardt because I was a Reinhardt shielding a bastion stopping anything coming through the doors. They were just about the clear the bay door when I jumped down lined up and shoulder charged him right back down the lane killing him and scattering the rest. I span, ran back up the lane behind the enemy team popped my ultimate stunning them all and then my team just mopped them up off the floor.

I learned the Reinhardt shield counter from a guy who did the same to me!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Lucio can use his sonic push to move Reinhardt off an objective as well. You have to move close enough that you're pushing through the shield, but it works. And they do NOT expect it :)
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Yeah, I had one trying that before but all he could do was punt me back a little bit but didn't take my shield down. Did try a Roadhog grapple but it just bounces off the shield. Dva can charge you back too, but again that just nudges you back and doesn't interrupt the shield.

I'm just in the process of working out who cancels who out. Really struggling with Roadhog actually. He's as spongy as a Destiny boss sometimes. Not offensively that effective, but he can really draw a team off to deal with just him :-/
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Yep, these hidden nuggets are what are going to keep me coming back to this one. Just learnt that Genji's deflect can counter Hanzo's ultimate dragon-Scott Pilgrim rip-off; that's going to be a game-changer next time I log on.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Holy shit that's awesome :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

First thing that struck me last night was how much some of the characters looked like Street Fighter folks, specifically Birdie and Dhalsim!

Bold and strong art and animation though, what?
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

All I can think of when I see Roadhog is "Bring out the gimp" from pulp fiction. I think they have "borrowed" quite liberally from other places when it comes the the characters. Reaper looks like the main Death from Darksiders 2 to me if I'm honest.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote:First thing that struck me last night was how much some of the characters looked like Street Fighter folks, specifically Birdie and Dhalsim!
Wow.

I'm non't going to be able to un-see that now.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Just having a quick go before bed and I've come to the conclusion that Symmetra is a beast! She can set traps, cause 150 pts of damage per second and really aid the push by hiding a teleporter close to the objective.

She's a really good counter to flipping Genji too. Just been ruining their day because they can't just reflect her attack. Got stuck in a corridor with two of them just then and only one of us walked away (that was me, it was bad-ass).
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yeah if you know how to play she's insane,I've started to play her all the time on defense maps now because she's so good,if you know how to set up your turrets and teleports she can carry a team and yeah catching Genjis of guard and seeing them realize they cant deflect anything is glorious XD
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Just spent a night losing repeatedly in PUGs to premades and now I'm remembering why I get bored with online shooters quickly.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Todinho wrote:Yeah if you know how to play she's insane,I've started to play her all the time on defense maps now because she's so good,if you know how to set up your turrets and teleports she can carry a team and yeah catching Genjis of guard and seeing them realize they cant deflect anything is glorious XD
I really like her on offence too. I'll stick turrets on the payload and get people back on the point with the teleporter. There seems to be a Genji meta emerging and I was finding him really obnoxious to go up against. His attack reflection move recharges far, far too quickly. But with the non deflectable energy weapons he's got nothing to reply with.
AndrewBrown wrote:Just spent a night losing repeatedly in PUGs to premades and now I'm remembering why I get bored with online shooters quickly.
Can really empathise with you on that. Spent most of yesterday getting steamroller'd by teams +10 to 20 levels higher than anyone on my team. That was one thing Destiny got right. If you're in a party you'll be matched against the same. But if you're flying solo you'll have an easier time.

Once ranked play comes in they'll all do one to that. Or get bored before hand. Was in a team with one dude who was so salty about losing he must have looked like the silver surfer. I said "Good game everyone. But not you Salty McSaltison". He responded "Fuck you cunt [Salty McSaltface left voice chat]"... I think I might have pissed him off :D

Not met many helmets to be fair. Did ask one guy to swap from being a sniper while we had an abundance of them, and he was - not the most effective sniper to be fair. Told me to fuck off because he chose it first. We lost.