Super Mario Maker - Create, share and play levels with the community

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
benptooey

Re: Super Mario Maker - Create, share and play levels with the community.

Post by benptooey »

Michiel K wrote:LOL, I love the title. Bookmarked!

I've been working on this one on and off. Best thing about the NSMBU style is the move set it grants Mario, IMO. So I made a level all about wall jumping. There are some spots of relief though, most notably a hidden sublevel that plays nothing like the main level.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... -01AD-B616
Good fun! Some evil sneaky bits. Didn't find the sub-level on my first run. Will have to have another crack.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

benptooey wrote:
Michiel K wrote:LOL, I love the title. Bookmarked!

I've been working on this one on and off. Best thing about the NSMBU style is the move set it grants Mario, IMO. So I made a level all about wall jumping. There are some spots of relief though, most notably a hidden sublevel that plays nothing like the main level.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... -01AD-B616
Good fun! Some evil sneaky bits. Didn't find the sub-level on my first run. Will have to have another crack.
Argh! Talking about evil... your stage had me on the verge of tears! ;) I managed to get to the giant piranha plants, but I guess I should have kept on running at all time, because I could not make the jump. I'll give it another try later on.
benptooey

Post by benptooey »

Michiel K wrote:Argh! Talking about evil... your stage had me on the verge of tears! ;) I managed to get to the giant piranha plants, but I guess I should have kept on running at all time, because I could not make the jump. I'll give it another try later on.
Heh, yeah, both Don't Stop and Don't Stop 2 are designed to be played at full speed the whole way. You may need to make use of the spin jump to extend your reach on occasion too, but it isn't strictly necessary.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I was messing around attempting to make a good Super Mario Bros. 3 style underground level for a while. Had this whole fire and ice theme going on, but something was lacking. Then the key update dropped, providing the previously missing ingrediënt, with meaningful, progress driven exploration.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... -01F5-8EA2
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I don't have a Wii U, but I visited a friend who does and we set to and made a course. Pretty basic as it is our first one, really fun to build though!

BD36-0000-0212-688F
Grimsgrams

Super Mario Maker - Create, share and play levels with the community

Post by Grimsgrams »

Been catching up on all your levels, excellent stuff. Just uploaded an old level I originally made as a challenge for a buddy of mine. It is a hateful but mercifully short Kaizo-esque level named "Have Shell, Will Travel" - the code is 532D-0000-0273-4A3D.
Michiel K

Re: Super Mario Maker - Create, share and play levels with the community

Post by Michiel K »

Grimsgrams wrote:Been catching up on all your levels, excellent stuff. Just uploaded an old level I originally made as a challenge for a buddy of mine. It is a hateful but mercifully short Kaizo-esque level named "Have Shell, Will Travel" - the code is 532D-0000-0273-4A3D.
Scared to try it but will do as soon as I have a moment.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'll post this here, seeing as though it's the same title, just a different format.

So I picked up the 3DS version of Mario Maker, not really for any specific creation reasons as I have the Wii U version (which is BRILLIANT), but I heard that the new Mario Challenge mode is good.

The creation mode, I kind of swerved from the off, as much like the Wii U title it doesn't have the full roster of items from the start and well like I said I have the Wii U version for that.

The 100 Mario challenge is still there in the same guise as the Wii U - 100 lives and levels picked from the Wii U community. Easy, Normal, Hard & Expert. The few I tried seemed to be very clever community levels, not having played the Wii U version recently, I wondered if the user created levels would settle themselves out and wean away the pieces of rubbish. Might just be luck but it appears so.

The best bit about the 3DS version is the new Challenge mode, its the same old rescue Peach trope from Bowser which is played out over a 13 World mode. Created by Nintendo, using the MM toolset, it's very good. It's wonderful to see what Nintendo can do with the tools and styles of past Mario games. The levels are short, sweet and are a mix of skill and puzzle so far. I'm only at W3 but so far so good, challenging too which is good. The modes and styles change up as you progress through the game, which is a neat touch.

The New Super Mario style gets hit hard, graphically. It doesn't look too good when still, moving is OK but it's a style that doesn't go down too well from the Wii U version.

The other styles look great though, really, really strong on the 3DS screen with Super Mario World looking particularly juicy.

Picture does not do it justice really.

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Thanks for the write-up. Interesting stuff, as I'm primarily interested in the non-creative modes. You've probably convinced me to give it a try.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KissMammal wrote:Thanks for the write-up. Interesting stuff, as I'm primarily interested in the non-creative modes. You've probably convinced me to give it a try.
It's good fun man, as long as you know what to expect, I think you'll be unlucky to come away unhappy from it.

I listed to the Beastcast from last Friday on the way to work this morning and they were brutal about it. Everything they said was true mind you regards the missing online features but I felt they were overly critical on the features, that were already advertised as being absent.

It felt like more a discussion regards the decisions behind the lack of uploading and sharing rather than what the game actually is.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Bump.

I’d like to play some more community levels please 😎😎.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Your write-up makes me want the 3DS version... BUT I will definitely get the sequel on Switch, so maybe I'll just wait. I sold the Wii U one a while ago, I miss it!
Suits

Post by Suits »

The 3DS version has some lovely pieces and some good Nintendo created levels but it's hard to recommend too much as its such a hollow game without the level sharing of the Wii U version.

Feels like a feral box toy, if that makes sense.

Wow, Mario Maker 2 - yes, I'm all over that.