Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
mikeleddy83

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

Post by mikeleddy83 »

It's almost here and I'd love us all to get a good solid community going, who's in?

Was thinking that if we get enough people together we could get some small tournaments together amongst other things.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Street Fighter V

Post by ratsoalbion »

That would be awesome. I'm in, day one.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I'll be there on ps4 on day one.

Does this have cross platform play? Heard conflicting reports.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Apparently it does, yes.
mikeleddy83

Re: RE: Re: Street Fighter V

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Flabyo wrote:I'll be there on ps4 on day one.

Does this have cross platform play? Heard conflicting reports.
Yep, saw an option in the final beta for ps4 players to lock out pc players if wanted but not sure you can lock out ps4 players from the pc version. By default cross play is enabled, my guess is that this is possible to change if the pc side gets a bit off the rails down the line. No big markers to indicate who's on ps4 or pc and had no real connectivity issues so I'd say that's a good omen.
James

Re: RE: Re: Street Fighter V

Post by James »

mikeleddy83 wrote:Yep, saw an option in the final beta for ps4 players to lock out pc players if wanted but not sure you can lock out ps4 players from the pc version. By default cross play is enabled, my guess is that this is possible to change if the pc side gets a bit off the rails down the line. No big markers to indicate who's on ps4 or pc and had no real connectivity issues so I'd say that's a good omen.
Yeah, it looks like the option is there on PS4 to allay any fears console players might have over PC mods/cheats affecting ranked matches. On PC, that's not a concern that platform isolation would solve, so I suppose that's why the option to switch off cross-platform play hasn't appeared there.

Another aspect of note, raised by Andi Hamilton when I spoke with him about platform preference, is that (according to him) your online Capcom Fighters' Network ID will be separate on PS4 and PC. To clarify, I can set up a CFN ID (tied to my PSN ID) on PS4, but I won't be able to play under that CFN ID on PC. I'll have to create a second CFN ID (tied to my Steam account). That means two separate league rankings, Fight Money/Zenny wallets, etc.

I have to imagine they did this to avoid confusion over having bought characters/costumes on one platform, but not having access to it on the other. That's purely my speculation though, and I'm not suggesting that I think it's a good solution. :roll:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah, bit of a palaver that.

I've pre-ordered a download on PS4 and will probably pick up the PC version at a later date when it's in a sale or something.

Now I'm just wondering if I can get the day off work next Tuesday...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

SimplyGames are doing the PS4 version for under £40 and the PC version for under £25:
http://www.simplygames.com/microsite/street-fighter-v
Beck

Post by Beck »

Awesome, count me in :)
RobC

Post by RobC »

Yep, count me in, although I have a very busy week next week :(
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I'll be in, day 2. Read: once I got me a new gaming rig sorted (which should be in a month or two).
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

No eight-player lobbies at launch, sadly - we have to wait a month or so for those.
James

Post by James »

Yeah, two-player lobbies (!) at launch. That's not to say that we couldn't arrange something anyway, but spectating is out, and it'd surely be a bit of a faff to manage (searching for opponents, etc). :-(
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It took a good while for a lot of these things to arrive in SFIV, lest we forget. In fact, SFIV even had pretty crappy net code at first too.
James

Post by James »

Oh, I'm not complaining. It'd be nice to have everything available from tomorrow, but I'm going to be playing SFV for years. Plus, it'll allow me to not be completely awful whenever we do all get online together (just mostly awful, with completely awful interludes)! ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I still don't even know who I'm going to try to learn.

Looking forward to mucking about with the newbies in arcade mode.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

My gut is that I'll probably do best early on with Ken or Chun-Li, based on what I've been watching so far.

But I really want to try and improve my execution over how I was in 4, so I'm hoping to learn Karin.
James

Post by James »

Yep, the Story Mode for each character will be one of the first things I do. Though, apparently those are very short in some cases.

I'm currently thinking Nash. From my brief time with the game he seems quite easy to pick up - even more so than Ryu, maybe. :o
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I've seen a lot of pro players suggesting that Ryu isn't the best starting point for new players here, because his v-skill (the parry) is one of the more technical to get used to.

Necalli seems to come up a lot, along with Nash, when people are talking about the 'easier' characters to learn.
James

Post by James »

Yeah, that's my thinking. In addition to the parry, Ryu's V-Trigger alters his combos, meaning (potentially) a lot more practice to get a handle on both 'states'. Nash's V-Skill (projectile grab) and Trigger (teleport) seem much more straight forward to grasp.