Overwatch

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
AndrewBrown

Re: Overwatch

Post by AndrewBrown »

Now it's just down to coordinating times to play. I'm at -8 GMT, so...
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Actually, I think I'm done playing the Overwatch beta. It's a phenomenal shooter, the first of its kind where I've actually had fun playing it. But I am unable to ignore any further that I have other games I'm supposed to be playing (I still have a tiny bit of my Majora's Mask LP to finish), all of our progress is going to be deleted on Monday, and this is a game that doesn't even need to be beta tested (see my previous use of the word "phenomenal.") So I'll see you in Retail!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It'll be the servers and matchmaking they're testing at this point, just trying to get realistic load numbers. It's been in closed beta for ages (which is where you'd typically do game balance)

They'll also be testing the analytics stuff, and probably their crash reporting etc... The kind of stuff where you only find flaws in what you've set up when the total concurrent player count is quite high.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Shouldn't be too hard to coordinate one session a week. I used to have to play with people across four time zones just to raid in Destiny.

I'm glad they did do a beta to be honest. I keep getting shot behind cover, etc. And I'm not the only one. Not as bad as in BF4 at launch when you be shot behind cover three games later it lagged that hard. That's down to the 60hz up 20hz down client to server update which I'm sure they'll up at launch.

It's really good too. I'm getting that warm fuzzy feeling I used to get when I played TF2 in the early days.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

At this point in the beta I figured they were only testing server stability, and after playing for ~20 hours this past week, I had zero problems. Maybe matchmaking is a bit wonky? I just got the impression that the game didn't really need to be beta tested any further. It was very well balanced and stable.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The digital foundry piece says there's almost no difference between the xbo and ps4 builds. They both run at 60fps in 1080p with some occasional downscale to 720p in kill cam moments. The xbo is also a tiny bit more prone to screen tear, but it's still rare.

So it really comes down to friend lists and joypad preference. My xbo list is way more populated, and I much prefer the pad for shooters, so I' ll probably go that way. (I'd not really played any shooters on ps4 before, Ive not had it long, and I have some pretty crazy hand cramping I never get from long halo sessions.)

Still keeping an eye to see if Amazon drop one to lower than the other, but that's not likely to happen in the preorder phase.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

So it sounds like me and Skidoosh are going to start a weekly (?) Overwatch on the PS4 platform if anyone wants to join us. The more the better, er, merrier.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

I'm getting really excited about this game now! Been watching some character and map guides to get up on all of the heros I didn't get a chance to play on the beta.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

The Overwatch Central channel on YouTube is fantastic.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Funnily enough, I was watching their Widow Maker video as I posted that :D
zen_anarchy

Post by zen_anarchy »

I'll be up for joining up with people from here on ps4 on Overwatch to try and be more co ordinated and play as a team, but will only be able to pick the game up on the 27th as I'm away from my ps4 for a few days out the country.

Got a decent headphone/mic setup.

Really enjoyed the beta and have been missing the game since the beta went offline.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Splendid! You'll have to add me on PSN zGoNaDs. Had a pretty promising message from SimplyGames saying Overwatch has been dispatched 1st class! Might have it in the morning :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Having it won't help, you can't play until the servers are up and that's happening simultaneously worldwide at midnight BST on the morning of the 24th (so 4 in the afternoon on the 23rd if you happen to be on the US west coast)
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Got my copy today. Thought you might at least be able to do the tutorial arena but you can't :( Lucky I put it in today though. Comes with a nice 10.5gig update.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I preordered digitally on my xbo, must remember to leave it on in background mode when I go to bed Monday night, have it nice and updated by the time I get around to it.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Blizzard's got things set up so you can start playing Monday afternoon whether you have a digital or boxed version of the game, actually. So have things set up for Sunday evening.
GSMason

Post by GSMason »

Launch time for us is 0000 BST 24th May so midnight Monday night. Not Monday afternoon
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yeah, its' only Monday afternoon for those in the US. For everyone in the UK and further east its at various points on the Tuesday.

Basically, the servers go live for everyone at the exact same moment rather than rolling around at midnight local time.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Timezones are stupid.