Gaming Marathon for Cancer Research UK

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
ReprobateGamer

Gaming Marathon for Cancer Research UK

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Hi all,

apologises if I've posted this in the wrong forum but I'm wanting to post details for an upcoming livestream I'm planning to do to raise money for Cancer Research UK.

Donation page here - https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/ ... ng-page-34

The plan is to play 26 minutes of each of 26 games in alphabetical order starting at 1000BST on Sunday 22nd October.

I've shortlisted games and will be sending out polls on my twitter feed (https://twitter.com/ReprobateGamer[/) so that people have a chance to pick a favoured game. Choices are limited to Playstation and Xbox. Options A through D are already

As I've never livestreamed before, this is going to take me a little out of my comfort zone - quite possibly a lot

Appreciate that I'm largely a lurker on this forum aside from a couple of entries on the sound of play side of things but I would welcome any support - more importantly if you are able to make any donations, it's for a great cause.

Thanks for reading
ReprobateGamer

Re: Gaming Marathon for Cancer Research UK

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Hi all,

feel a little odd to be double posting but to follow on from my previous post and to flesh it out a little:

The final game list can be found on this blog posting: terahawk.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/games-list-for-cancer-research-gaming.html. It's 26 games from A to Z across Microsoft (X360, X1) and Sony (PS3) consoles largely picked from a mix of what games I had available either as purchases or from Games With Gold/PSN+
I have played the majority of games but there will be about half a dozen titles that I'll be trying out for the first time
The livestream will be on Youtube and this link will be live from around 1000BST Sunday 22nd October https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5AnixeDvk4

The goal is to run around 26 minutes from each of the games and to have done all the games within 13 hours - I suspect being flexible around the amount I play each game will be needed. The aim is to either play the first 26 minutes, or on some of the more A list titles, try to run side quests/DLC that not everyone will have seen, though there are a couple of more well-known titles that I have to run from the start as I don't have current saves for them

The whole thing is part of Cancer Research UK and Channel 4 Stand Up to Cancer campaign - it's a small thing I'm doing - though by the time I finish, it will have taken a sizeable chunk of time (and more including the prep time to get it set up). I've had to buy a couple of the games also, and take a holiday day from work - so there has been a little financial investment on my part.

Any donations would be welcomed (and thanks to those who have already done so) - this link takes you to my page on the Cancer Research site for online donations: tinyurl.com/y9u8ho4j

It's all been rather rushed sadly - I only came across the link to the gaming marathon idea a couple of weeks ago and it kinda has to be tomorrow as it's the only day I get with the house to myself for the foreseeable future.
Ah well, next time maybe I'll do a family friendly version and get more people involved.

Thanks again for reading

Cheers
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Nice idea! I shall definitely be taking a look!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

FYI that first link in your second post isn't working. It links back to a non-existent page on the Cane & Rinse website. I think you've just accidentally added the C&R website address to your url.

EDIT : You might wanna check all the links actually.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

How'd it go? :)
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

FYI that first link in your second post isn't working. It links back to a non-existent page on the Cane & Rinse website. I think you've just accidentally added the C&R website address to your url.

EDIT : You might wanna check all the links actually.
Hi, thanks for pointing this out. I'd just used the link button on the editor without looking to see what it did. When editing the posts, that bit with cane and rinse doesn't show but it was clearly there when hovering over the link in the actual post. I've just removed the URL tags for now.
I presume then that link button is only for site wide links and not for www links?
dezm0nd wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 10:27 amHow'd it go? :)
Well, not great actually.
Spent 45 mins or so yesterday morning trying to get Elgato and OBS to talk to each other - I could stream from OBS fine, but I just couldn't capture the content, and trying to stream directly from Elgato just wasn't working. Youtube didn't see the incoming as good enough quality and Elgato would just stop outputting. I know it's a issue resulting from not having a separate graphics card on the laptop I was using but it worked fine when testing last week, which meant that I hadn't needed to troubleshoot whilst testing so was caught on the hoof when it didn't work.

However, I did then spend 13 hours working through the games list and immediately uploading the content to my Youtube channel. I think my ISP is throttling my upload speed currently as I've managed to upload up to my P title game by lunchtime but haven't seen anything appear since (the laptop that all the content is on is at home whilst I'm back at work so I can't check it yet for a few hours to check on the progress).

i did record some commentary via Audacity whilst playing so at some point I need to properly edit all 26 videos (!) to add that in, along with my channel stinger but it felt more important to get the content up, even unedited and deal with that later.

Also had to make some last minute changes to the games list (the 'Kinect' game that was picked for K just wouldn't have worked in the space available yesterday so that changed) and a couple of the choices weren't great - Zack Zero is not a good game I found out whilst playing ...

Biggest issue was that I did the whole thing in less than two weeks - definitely would want to have longer on the lead in next time - but that was tied to when I had space to myself without family in the way which set the pace for the whole enterprise.

But I did manage to do it all in one sitting and there are donations to Cancer Research (donation page is still live at https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/ ... ng-page-34 - I'm about £5 shy of my target) so the ultimate goal was successful even if the path getting there was somewhat rocky

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... AulwjbNXyc is the link to the playlist for anyone interested in seeing the content

Final games list is on my blog at https://terahawk.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10 ... aming.html