Battlefield 4 (PS4) Platoon

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
Beck

Re: Battlefield 4 (PS4) Platoon

Post by Beck »

I've added you papa :)
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

I think I might double dip and get this on PS4 too. How active is the community on PS4, is there a community on PS4? Has game stability increased?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The CaR community is largely PS4 based at this point I'd say. And yes, it took DICE/EA a long 8 months or so but the game works pretty brilliantly now, by and large.

I've only put in 35 hours or something but hook up with Karl (Nokkon), Don (Indiana) and the gang for some seriously top-notch squad-based Battlefield action!
:)
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

arry_g wrote:I think I might double dip and get this on PS4 too. How active is the community on PS4, is there a community on PS4? Has game stability increased?
Myself, Don (Indiana747), Pete (Chunky_M0nk13) and Mark (Damocles693) are on pretty much every night for a few hours.

There are a few others too. [WHITE SMILING FACE]
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

I think I will buy again for PS4 then, I just want to experience the game at least once in its intended squad based, communicative format. I'll have to get used to Battlefield'ing with a controller but I'm sure I'll survive.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Game bought and Platoon request sent :)
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

I've been thinking about getting this game for a bit of multiplayer fun - would you veterans say that buying all the maps and such is essential for enjoying it properly or would I get away with just buying the base game?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

It wouldn't surprise me if they release a "Premium" edition which will cost around £50 which has the game and all the dlc included soon. They did with Battlefield 3 around September time the year after.
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

That's true, might be worth waiting. Then again, the last piece of DLC still hasn't gotten a release date as I understand it, which might mean 4's premium edition won't be out for a good long while.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

When I bought 3's premium edition 2 of the dlc packages hadn't been released yet I think.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Yeah, there was bloody uproar about that. But wouldnt put it past EA to do the same again, even with all the the backlash of the BF4 release they will still try to screw over early adopters. DLC has always traditionally been 3 months apart, roughly(with exception of Second Assault), so end of Oct, early Nov, is a good bet for last DLC.
As for purchasing premium, its worth it if you plan to spend 100ish hours on multiplayer, pick the game up cheaper second hand(no online pass needed anymore, thankfully) & get Premium if you reckon you will get value out of it.
At this point the game is running amazingly well for the behemoth of a multiplayer that it is, with so much happening all at one time on any single map, its no suprise that the game was a logistical nightmare. But i can safely say there is no other multiplayer on the market that comes close to the exhilaration that this game can offer. The odd bug & dashboard crash can still occur, but are not enough to say they are gamebreaking, some say they are, but i just call those folk whinging pansies with a chip on their shoulder about how EA run their business, so think its cool or in trend to constantly hate on DICE, even though DICE have patched the shit out of the game to get it working.
All in all, if you squad up with us regulars i guarantee a good laugh & the feeling of comradory when you finally achieve an objective or goal as a squad is unrivalled. Other online shooters offer what they offer, but this is the daddy, 32 v 32 Conquest Large, capping flags as a squad, on comms, from ground, sea or air. Its the gaming equivalent of crack :lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Even though I don't manage to play nearly as much as Don and co. (or even nearly as much as I'd like to), I agree with pretty much all of this ^

It's a real shame that the game was rushed out/was compromised for last gen/wasn't working reliably for several months after launch and all that. Those things do suck, and are clearly the result of EA needing to get the game out for Q4 2013 and new gen launch to satisfy its shareholders rather than in the best interests of the game's loyal if vociferous community. As such I can sort of understand why some people feel so appalled/cheated/ripped-off and whatever.

However, if they'd stop slapping feverishly away at their keyboards, look at the bigger picture and play the game with a fresh perspective they might just realise what a stellar experience it is now.
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

Thanks all for the input! I actually bought the game on my way home but now I've found out there's a sale going on in the PS Store and BF is at half price. Haven't opened it yet though so the choice is still there, but then I happen to like having the physical releases. Choices, choices.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

If premium is half price I'd pick it up if you can.
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

It isn't actually discounted at all, but the first three expansions are. Not half price mind, closer to a 20-25% discount.

Edit: Here's the final update on the thrilling drama that is my Battlefield purchase - I got the digital edition! So if anybody's up for a game tonight let me know, I'm Grimsgrams84 on PSN.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Theres prob about 8 gigs of an update on BF4 at this stage. :P
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

Yes I was a bit optimistic there, the game is quite big! Managed to start playing the campaign a bit while it downloaded though, so that's something at least.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

My weekend started early and I'm ready to rejoin the struggle. If you're playing over the next few days I'll be jumping into your game, by Sunday I vow to be good at it!
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

Coolio, I'm home in about two hours and will be playing then (even though I don't know what I'm doing!)
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Vow to be good at it Mike? But you're already good at it. I should be on over the weekend too.