Our Patreon

Here's where you can find the details and updates to our ongoing Patreon campaign
Simonsloth

Re: Our Patreon

Post by Simonsloth » March 15th, 2018, 6:01 pm

I don’t know if you’ve done this before but I would love to hear on the next mini cast or elsewhere how you choose the podcast list.

Is it a case of individuals bringing personal favourites, timing certain games for anniversaries and picking a popular series to wade through. Or is it more complicated?

I wonder whether there is a place for Patreon members to maybe show their interest in a game/games from your shortlist for next year? It sounds crude but if you were deliberating between game x,y and z for the last slot. Could the community have a say? Or is that dangerous territory.

Just a thought.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » March 15th, 2018, 6:07 pm

I could talk about this on the mini-cast. In short, there are a LOT of considerations but there's no magic formula either.

Community picks are something that we have mulled over, but there are good reasons we haven't gone down that route. Mainly that... well, what if no-one on the team wants to play the chosen game(s)?

OK, we could potentially force ourselves through something we're not really enthusiastic about playing for the sake of it being a community-led selection, but how good a podcast would that make for?

Would it do the game(s) in question justice? Would it satisfy those who had requested that we cover them?
I don't think so.

However, perhaps a listener selection from a shortlist could be something worth further discussion.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » March 15th, 2018, 6:09 pm

That makes sense. Although I was thinking more along the lines of choosing games you want to play from a shortlist but were debating over which to include.

Edit:

Haha you added to your post just as I wrote the above

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » March 15th, 2018, 6:18 pm

You have all have been doing this for years and have a winning crowd pleasing formula in terms of game selection variety.

I’m new to the forum and don’t want to suggest anything that would break that.

It was just a thought. Doesn’t necessarily have to be Patreon specific.

macstat

Post by macstat » April 20th, 2018, 7:43 pm

@Leon on the other hand maybe being less excited would make an interesting discussion on why game X is worse than others. I mean your strength usually isn't a huge amount of excitement but a level-headed and well-researched approach to each game. It's hard for me to believe that you would drop all that professionalism.

The alternative is something you propose, or maybe you choosing from a pool of listeners choice instead of "one winner".
"A man who never eats pork bun is NEVER a whole man" - Pork buns vendor