Daytona USA - Cane and Rinse 331

Archive for issues 301 - 350
JaySevenZero
Admin

Daytona USA - Cane and Rinse 331

Post by JaySevenZero » August 20th, 2018, 5:37 pm

“Blue, blue skies…”

Just why is SEGA’s 25 year old coin-op racer still relatively easy to find in (what passes for) arcades in 2018? Leon, Michiel, new contributor Marvin Alexis and the Cane and Rinse community attempt to go beyond Daytona USA‘s beloved basics – those SEGA blue skies and some memorable music – to understand why people are still playing this vintage arcade title a quarter of a century on from its original release.

Music used in this issue:

1. Awaiting Other Challengers by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi
2. Let’s Go Away (Piano version) by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi

Cane and Rinse 331 was edited by Jay Taylor.

Each issue of The Cane and Rinse podcast is available unabridged and a week early through our Patreon for just $1 a month

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

kayjoon

Re: Daytona USA - Cane and Rinse 331

Post by kayjoon » September 6th, 2018, 7:18 am

Really enjoyed this episode, but it has left me needing to get hold of a Dreamcast Wheel and one of those rare Japanese Saturn ports. :)

My favourite version for the longest time was the original Saturn port, it came with my machine along with Virtua Fighter & Sega Rally. I played Daytona and Sega Rally constantly, mostly neglecting VF because my buddy already had VF2 and it made me feel bad about the first game.

When Daytona CCE came out, my mate got it day one, and we were excited to play it. Never felt right to me though, and I returned to the original game. Teenage me seemingly happy enough to put up with 20fps and pop up land.

Similarly I picked up the Dreamcast one because I'd heard such good things, and it didn't feel right either. Wasn't until I got the PS3 version that I really enjoyed it again.

As mentioned in the podcast, the lack of home ports of Scud Race & Daytona 2 remains a sore point to this day. Maybe it's time to have another stab at getting a Model 3 emulator to run...

Michiel K

Re: Daytona USA - Cane and Rinse 331

Post by Michiel K » September 6th, 2018, 9:44 am

Glad you enjoyed it! And yes, still impatiently waiting for the day we get (good) home ports of Model 3 games.