Board/Card Games - The obligatory "analogue" gaming thread

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
Flabyo
Guardian

Re: Board/Card Games - The obligatory "analogue" gaming thread

Post by Flabyo » November 3rd, 2016, 8:44 am

There are some fantastic App versions of board games now.

A particular favourite is 'Lords of Waterdeep'. I love that board game, and the App version is pretty damned amazing.

KissMammal
Guardian

Post by KissMammal » November 3rd, 2016, 5:29 pm

Heard a lot of good things about that one - I should check it out.

In terms of apps, I mainly play Lost Cities and Carcassonne which are great, and I also cannot speak highly enough of Star Realms, both the card game and digital version. I never played Magic: The Gathering as a kid, but I gather that SR is a very boiled-down, portable and self-contained version of it. The basic digital version is free, with a modest fee ($5) unlocking online and campaign modes. The best thing is that once you have bought the digital version, it and all IAPs are available on every platform, Android, Mac, PC, Steam, iOS etc etc. The card game is also very cheap. I'm amazed at how much game they can pack into a simple deck of cards these days... Brilliantly designed and balanced game.

The Exploding Kittens app is also fantastic. It's a very light, casual game but the online pvp and audio/visual aspect is extraordinarily well done, and it works over bluetooth, meaning you can play a vs game anywhere.

MajorGamer
Guardian

Post by MajorGamer » November 7th, 2016, 5:01 am

You know how you often see pictures of people's video game collections in a wall of shelves? One of my friends has that of board games and we have a board games night every few weeks. We usually play whatever new ones he has picked up but there are a few staples we come back to. They are Settlers of Catan (we randomize all ports/tiles/numbers so things get crazy), Love Letter, and Mystery Express.

The last meetup we played Pandemic Legacy which puts a nice twist on the original. It was also a proud moment of all of us seeing our first turn 1 outbreak in Atlanta. Laughter and panic quickly followed. If you enjoy the original, this spices things up very quickly.

Bakers_12
Guardian

Post by Bakers_12 » September 1st, 2017, 9:47 am

Just picked up the Dark Souls board game. The mintures look amazing , particularly the boss and mini boss ones .http://steamforged.com/dark-souls
"Skip to the End"

brutaldeluxe09
Guardian

Post by brutaldeluxe09 » September 13th, 2017, 8:47 pm

Bakers_12 wrote:
September 1st, 2017, 9:47 am
Just picked up the Dark Souls board game. The mintures look amazing , particularly the boss and mini boss ones .http://steamforged.com/dark-souls
You'll have to post a review for us once you've played.

The last board game I picked up was Tokaido, we really enjoyed it. would recommend.