ANDROID - Install to SD card?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

ANDROID - Install to SD card?

Post by Alex79 »

I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 from work, it's a nice little 7" tablet, nothing special but I'll mainly just use it for Netflix and reading comics. However, I'd like to install a few games, but it's only 8GB. I picked up a 32GB SD card for it today thinking I'd be able to install apps to it, but so far I've been unable to. I can use the SD card for comic files, music, general file storage etc. but am I able to actually install apps to the SD card itself rather than the 8GB internal storage? I've seen a couple of websites saying it's possible but I've not been able to get it to work.

Any ideas? Thanks :)
RoboticMonk3y

Re: ANDROID - Install to SD card?

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

On my android device.
If you go to 'manage apps' which for me is in the settings menu.
If I click into an app, I have the option of 'move to SD card'
adwild1982

Post by adwild1982 »

Alex79uk wrote:I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 from work, it's a nice little 7" tablet, nothing special but I'll mainly just use it for Netflix and reading comics. However, I'd like to install a few games, but it's only 8GB. I picked up a 32GB SD card for it today thinking I'd be able to install apps to it, but so far I've been unable to. I can use the SD card for comic files, music, general file storage etc. but am I able to actually install apps to the SD card itself rather than the 8GB internal storage? I've seen a couple of websites saying it's possible but I've not been able to get it to work.

Any ideas? Thanks :)
I read online that if you update it to the latest version of Kit Kat you can no longer install apps to the SD card.
Also what comic book app do you suggest getting for it as am looking to get back in to reading them and looking for any suggestions.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

You might be able to root it to allow SD installing?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I'm gonna have to root it, it would seem.

As for comic book apps, I have tried the free ACV, which works great. There's an android version of Comic Rack too which is easily the best Windows viewer. I've tried the free version which is also good. There's a paid version too but I'm not sure what it offers over the paid app.
countstex

Post by countstex »

I use Comixology for comics, covers most of the mainstream outlets.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Also Kit Kat does not prevent you moving Apps to the SD card. It has merely tightened up where apps can save their data to on the SD card as previously all apps had open access to all data on your SD, clearly a security hole. Some apps will need to be updated before they will work properly, but it's been a while now so I would hope most have been fixed.

You should still be able to move apps to the SD if they support it (not all do)