Podcasting/Recording Microphones

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
RoboticMonk3y

Podcasting/Recording Microphones

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Hello,

I've been doing some recording recently and getting along ok using my turtle beach headset, but I've been looking to move up to something a little more.

I know a few people on here use a snowball mic to record, which seems to be a pretty good option, and not too expensive. I've also been thinking about buying a portable recorder (I've started playing a bit of guitar, so being able to record playing while not next to my computer would be a bonus)

I'm curious to know, especially form you podcasting types, what your recording set up is.
Flabyo

Re: Podcasting/Recording Microphones

Post by Flabyo »

I have a Snowball ICE, which is the cheaper one that is unidirectional rather than the normal snowball which has extra pickups so you can have several people around it at once.

It's what I've used when I've guested on Gameburst and Digital Drift if you want to hear how it sounds via Skype at least. (the roundtable on non-fiction gaming books for the former, the Lego Movie podcast for the latter)

I've used it for foley work as well. It seems to be a decent option at the lower end of the price range.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Thanks for the response!
I've seen that microphone, and I was wondering how it would work if I plugged it in via an extension cable.
Another option to consider :)
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I think it's entirely dependent on what your budget is?

I would say that whatever you decide to spend you can't go wrong with any of the Blue mics though. They have a very decent range, from the Ice to the Snowball, to the Yeti Pro (a particular favourite among YouTubers and podcasters).
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

The yeti looks good and has dropped massively in price recently. I've seen it on amazon for as cheap as £90, but that's probably more than I had in mind for budget, especially when you can pick up a good portable recorder for that.

Thanks for the advice Jay
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

What kind of guitar recording are you looking to do. It's a big can of worms you're about to open...so be ready :D
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

4-5 people playing ukuleles.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Quite a tricky one. I'm guessing you want to capture a live sound of all playing together?

As many mics as possible are always good for that situation, so if you can borrow some etc, then run them through a mixer and record the mixed output you could get quite a nice sound. A recorder with that many inputs would be pretty pricey I think.

I bought an M3 by Rode a few years ago, they are pretty good for the price range and seem pretty versatile http://www.rodemic.com

I ended up mainly recording using my PC because the software is so powerful these days.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

As a heads-up on microphones, if anyone is considering getting a decent mic and looking at the Yeti, the Samson C01U is available from Amazon for a good deal less (was for me, anyway), and is easily comparable with the Yeti. Similar sturdy design with good, clear vocals.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

A lot of Blue's range of microphones seem to be on offer at Maplin's at the moment as well.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I myself have a Samson. Not sure of the model but it's a damn fine microphone. It's small and didn't cost more than 40 quid.