I Quite Like This Community

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
arry_g

I Quite Like This Community

Post by arry_g »

That is all, discuss...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: I Quite Like This Community

Post by ratsoalbion »

Only "quite"? :o :(

;)
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

ratsoalbion wrote:Only "quite"? :o :(

;)
If it makes you feel better, when I got married my speech contained the line "I quite like my wife". That should put things into context.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

:lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well we love this community too. I'm very proud of what we've got here.

My only sadness is that not enough of the podcast team post regularly, but they're all much too busy with Twitter and - in some cases - ask.fm.
:P
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

ratsoalbion wrote:Well we love this community too. I'm very proud of what we've got here.

My only sadness is that not enough of the podcast team post regularly, but they're all much too busy with Twitter and - in some cases - ask.fm.
I get that, the community as a whole is stronger if people can continue the conversation with the people talking about the games on the podcasts but at the same time balancing your time between multiple projects, work, family, life and recreation is difficult at best and doing a podcast like Cane and Rinse must be a massive commitment.

I think it's enough that we have people who can and will talk about podcasted games and the latest news regardless.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Retrothumbs

Post by Retrothumbs »

..because this forum and the excellent podcasts are my favourite setoid's of late :)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

This is a lovely place, indeed! It's rare to see such continual happy times on a forum.
richie_in_japan

Post by richie_in_japan »

It'll never last, I tell ya!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This is the only forum I've ever posted on without constant bickering and trolling. Even when people disagree it's done in a mature and respectful manner. It's definitely the best gaming forum I've ever been a part of.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

I've also never been to another forum which has a "this is why we're cooler than everyone else thread" like this one, though that is slightly my own doing.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

ratsoalbion wrote:Well we love this community too. I'm very proud of what we've got here.

arse.fm more like! :twisted:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

arry_g wrote:
ratsoalbion wrote:Only "quite"? :o :(

;)
If it makes you feel better, when I got married my speech contained the line "I quite like my wife". That should put things into context.
You mean we're going to argue and never have sex? :P
Retrothumbs

Post by Retrothumbs »

Alex79uk wrote:This is the only forum I've ever posted on without constant bickering and trolling. Even when people disagree it's done in a mature and respectful manner. It's definitely the best gaming forum I've ever been a part of.
Bang on yes, I agree with that sentiment. I've been part of others where they dont make you feel welcome as a newby, and you need to earn your stripes bullshit!! Some are just looking for a way to have a dig and it justs manifests itself from there...it's tedius! I always seem to treat these forums as what I'd say to someone face-to-face, its a good reminder to not be rude - its what I was taught from Ma n' Pa! :-)
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Its alright.

Being from a certain part of the Northwest, 'alright' is a compliment of the highest order, so feel lucky.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm just gonna go ahead and hijack this thread for my own nefarious purposes.

I'm very critical of today's forum culture on the internet. There is so much bickering and pointless, sometimes even outright hateful argumentation going on. The quality of the conversational etiquette out there is just depressingly low. And that's without even mentioning the echo chamber phenomenon which seems to have infected so many communities and the disastrous effect it has on politics, among other things. All in all, the internet is nowhere near the kind of platform I think it should be. So it was a very positive surprise for me to discover the CaR podcast and this very forum. I really appreciate the civility and politeness of this community. No bickering, no insults, no dismissive one-liners. So, from the bottom of my heart, I'd like to express my gratitude to all of you who contribute to make this place such a wonderful exception.

But if there is one thing I regret and that keeps me from being more active on this forum, it's the... unresponsiveness. I feel like 95% of the posts are all being written within the same handful of threads, and that any effort to deviate from that, either by creating new topics or bumping old ones, is either going to be completely ignored or dead within a week at most. I'd love to participate in some more substantial conversations, but I've certainly felt discouraged at times and ended up refraining from posting about something I wanted to talk about because I just didn't see the point. Also, while browsing through some of the older topics, I got a sense that the forum was a bit more active a few years ago, including numerous posts from team members I have never seen in the one year I've been here. Is that true? Maybe someone can confirm that.

Now I'm obviously not entitled to anything and I completely understand that we all have busy lives and that the team is already spending a lot of their free time working on the (2!) podcasts. So I'm not here to complain or pick a fight or anything like that. I don't claim to have a solution either, but I just wanted to get it off my chest.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think it's a combination of factors, mainly that although we have a relatively healthy number of members for an independent podcast community, only a small percentage are ever active at any one time.

I feel that if threads don't get busy it's not out of impoliteness, just that they haven't hit their target.

I'd also suggest that one of the reasons you say the the forum is so good - thoughtful, considered responses - also plays into this, in that, rather than quickly posting something half-assed or dismissive, people would rather simply let the original post stand.

Another contributing factor is the demographic; we skew much older than most online gaming communities, to the point that the majority of members here have families, and don't have hours to sit online posting - they're more likely to be spending their precious free time actually playing!

Then there's social media of course, which has all but killed many forums*, and Twitter is where most of the team spend the majority of their time.

Having said that, most of the team have posted at least once or twice in the past couple of weeks. I am forever encouraging more interaction but as you say, we all spend a lot of time making the shows (among many other things).

*rllmuk, the biggest independent UK-based forum went an entire year with no (literally zero) new sign-ups recently.

I'm quite happy with the level of busy-ness here. It's rarely (if ever) been substantially busier, and will only continue to grow as listenership numbers do (which have been very healthy but also very stable for quite a long time now).

Finally, forums are quite seasonal. If post numbers do increase it's usually during the colder, darker months, which are now upon us for 2016-17.

I'd guess I'd simply say keep posting, just don't expect everything you post to get a direct response. I never do.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Considering that I've been interacting with this here new fandangled interwebs since the 90's, this is the first forum I've been a part of. 2016. First time I've even wanted to interact with an online community. That alone says a lot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... I quite like it too.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I almost feared a 'I quite like this community... but'. ;)

I like it too but I could only commit to posting every few days (I even missed the time around the Switch announcement).

Probably covering a lot of what has been said before but for a small enough community I also think there are a few threads that serve a lot of our needs; e.g. Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft/Videogame news threads cover most of the news and there's no need for a separate 'OMG RDR2 trailer' thread with 40 replies of gifs and 'so excited' and Whattcha Been Playing? just lets us all shout about what we're at gaming wise. I also think we're less likely to talk about specific older games as that is what the podcast and the podcast threads are for and the community saves it for there.