Other podcast recommendations

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
macstat

Other podcast recommendations

Post by macstat »

Sad days are coming. I'm getting close to the end of C&R archive and need something to fill my daily podcast needs.
It doesn't have to be about video games. Hell i actually would prefer to listen to something else ;) (but don't hesitate to recommend any great gaming podcasts).
My preference is substance over comedy. I don't mind cheerful, lighthearted tone, but in my experience podcasts based on comedy are getting old very fast.

Oh i checked out post about podcasts similar to C&R and watch out for fireballs is on my list.

Cheers in advance for all your recommendations :)
James

Re: Other podcast recommendations ?

Post by James »

We Have Concerns is a nice mix of comedy and weird science/tech news.

WTF with Marc Maron is an interview podcast with some excellent guests and conversations.

One of my favourite video game podcasts is Idle Thumbs. The hosts are all in game development - they tend to have interesting takes on games. Plus they have a large back catalogue, and other great podcasts on their 'network'.

Kermode & Mayo's Film Review podcast. My favourite film podcast, for many reasons, but mostly Mark Kermode. ;)

I could list several others, but that's going to depend on how interested you are in, for example, comic book films or history. :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I'm a big fan of No Such Thing as a Fish, which is by the people who do the research for QI (known as the QI Elves). Nice short 30 minutes comedy episodes where they talk about 4 daft facts they've discovered this week while researching.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Thank you both, I'm going to check them out :)

I'm usually most interested in just learning new things, more obscure the better. So things like history would be great, and comic book films not so much (because its topic that's basically all over the internet atm )
James

Post by James »

In that case, I'd highly recommend Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. Terribly infrequently released due to the massive size and scope of each episode.
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

The one I listen to a lot is the worst idea of all time:

http://www.worstideaofalltime.com

It's two idiots in new Zealand who decided to watch and review the film Grown Ups 2 every week for a year. It's weird but funny. Season two is them watching and reviewing Sex In The City every week for a year!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I really enjoy The Rotating Platform. Ex Nintendo mag and current Xbox mag writers monthly chat about games. Funny and always interesting.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I'd second Jame's Hardcore History recommendation. Releases rarely, but is completely engrossing. The series on Genghis Khan is definitely worth a listen.

99% Invisible - a podcast about interesting subjects or events that most of us don't pay attention to. This podcast is short and sweet, with most episodes only lasting between 15 to 30 minutes.

Bonfireside Chat and Watch Out for Fireballs - Gary B. and Kole R. 's podcasts. One is a microscope examination of the souls series. The other is "similar" to Cane and Rinse, but structurally different. Both great.

Dark Calls - This is finished now, but honestly, it was so good, that I have no problem recommending people listen to the whole thing even now. The premise, is that David Turner's tries to guide his friend James through Dark Souls relying on his memory alone. No walkthroughs and no looking online for help. It's HILARIOUS, but also heart warming to hear Jame's opinion of the game slowly change.

Planet Money - Short economics podcast. Sounds like it would be boring, but it really isn't!

Reply All - Another short one about stories on the internet. Just very entertaining and well made.

Serial - I assume everyone already knows about this podcast.

StartUp Podcast - Worth listening to from the beginning. In the first season, Alex Blumberg documents what it takes to set up a company, while he himself is setting up a podcasting company. The next season does the same for a dating site. Inbetween seasons you get updates on how Alex's podcast company "Gimlet" is doing.

This American Life - They pick a theme, choose a few real life stories that fit that theme. Easily my favourite podcast.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Thank you all, now i officially have too much to listen ;) But i promise that i will at least give a try to each of your suggestions.
TheEmailer

Post by TheEmailer »

Second Kermode and Mayo + No Such Thing As a Fish

Answer Me This: Helen and Olly (+sound man Martin) answer listener questions, from the silly to serious. A simple format, but really rides on the rapport of the two hosts.

The Allusionist: Hosted by Helen from AMT, short (20-30 mins) podcasts on etymology, looking at history, usage etc.

Criminal: They looks at criminal case studies (not just murder), often interviewing the perps.

From Our Own Correspondant: The long running BBC series, short dispatches from journos all around the world. Usually one or two very serious current affairs items up front, then moving on to non news items. How it is to live in these places, or just odd miscellany.

For the niche interests:
Football Ramble if you like football and sillyness
Matt Forde's political party podcast. An ex labour employee, now comedian interviews politicians of all stripes, not about whatever's in the news but how politics work.
The_Rooster

Post by The_Rooster »

I have quite a few I listen to the most frequent being:

Mayo and Kermode film show.
Very popular, enough said!

We hate movies. (film/comedy)
They pick a crap/funny/cheesey film and take the piss out of it. They also do a mail bag were listeners send in stories which is funny.

Experience points. (gaming)
2 lads with "a serious but not humourless discussion about video games."

Worst idea of all time. (comedy)
As said further up the post 2 New Zealand nutters watch grown ups 2 for a year then sex and the city 2 for another year then just about to start a year of We are your friends.

Serial. (true crime)
Each of the 2 seasons based around an on going criminal case in USA. 1st season better than the 2nd which as just finished but still interesting. Think of a podcast of making a Murderer.

Criminal. (true crime)
Each episode is a different case not just murder or serious crimes but smaller more interesting crimes.

The Big Interview with Graham Hunter. (Football/Sport)
If you like an in depth discussion with famous footballers or people around the game this is really good.

A few other are I listen to but not all the time are: School of movies, IGN UK, midnight resistance, the same coin and movie madness.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Hope you won't mind me copy and pasting my current list of recommends from another board:

Bold are the ones I'd mark as my top picks and ones I listen to religiously. All others I tend to dip in and out of depending on the subject or interviewee. Apologies if some of them are a bit niche, but that's the whole point of podcasts, right?

General/Pop Science:
No Such Thing as a Fish
How Stuff Works
A History of the World in 100 Objects
Most Useful Podcast Ever
How To Do Everything

Comedy/Interview:
The Adam Buxton podcast
Answer Me This
WTF with Marc Maron
Richard Herring's Edinburgh/Leicester Square Theater Podcast(s)
Distraction Pieces with Scroobius Pip
The Nerdist
Harmontown

Movies:
The Empire Podcast
The /Filmcast
The Canon
Now Playing
I Was There Too
The Flop House
How Did This Get Made?

Videogames:
Cane & Rinse
Retronauts
Watch Out For Fireballs!

Board Games:
Cardboard!

Game of Thrones/ASoIaF-related:
A Cast of Kings
The Boiled Leather Audio Hour

I'm also a huge fan of the Laser Time network of shows - a treasure trove of nostalgia and frequently hilarious pop culture detritus.

Since You're into history stuff, I'd also recommend the BBC series America: Empire of Liberty for a light, entertaining overview of American History. You can get it as a series of audiobooks from Audible.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Official Playstation Magazine podcast has started up again and is pretty good, also the Beyond Podcast from IGN (Playstation again) is worth listening to. Just Add Idiots is brilliant, two guys chatting shit, but episodes are few and far between, but it's definitely worth listening to the back catalogue.
The_Rooster

Post by The_Rooster »

On a side note, I mainly use Player FM for my podcasts and Cane and Rinse isn't available on that and it won't let me import the shows to it. Is this something you can change easily or shall I just keep downloading from the website? Thanks lads.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

No hidden gems with these suggestions, but I really like the Giant Bombcast and Giant Beastcast. Their backlog isn't as fun to go through as Cane and Rinse, but between the two of them it's a good 5-6 hours a week.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Player FM you say? I'm sure Jay can look into it...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It is on Player FM, and Sound Of Play is. I just looked on the Android app.

:)

The_Rooster

Post by The_Rooster »

Coz I didn't use Caps Lock. Haha really!!
The_Rooster

Post by The_Rooster »

Colour me happy now!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think that must be the work of a third party. We wouldn't have used ALL CAPS!