Other podcast recommendations

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
Alex79uk

Re: Other podcast recommendations

Post by Alex79uk » May 30th, 2018, 9:36 pm

It is a bit sad that I genuinely felt a bit annoyed I'd clicked that spoiler before finishing listening to the show.

A spoiler for a podcast.

:lol:

Suits

Post by Suits » June 7th, 2018, 8:47 am

I thought that Dave Turner dealt with what can only be described as a nightmare for Podcast Feedback, rather well, in this weeks TGCS.

I for one very much dislike the approach of Argumentative Radio, or that proposed style of comedy - I much prefer enthusiastic, insightful conversation. Not that I'd ever complain directly to the Podcast about it, that's their style, I simply stop listening when I feel frustrated by it. Which I do often.

I did listen to last weeks episode and it was over the line, I wasn't shocked myself but I understand that people spoke out about it. The rest of the show was good I thought - which just confirmed to me personally that it was all a bad, over-baked joke/persona.

It was silly and rude and very personal.

Anyway, I though he was very humble about it all. It seemed honest, sincere and heartfelt. Good on him.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » July 18th, 2018, 11:22 am

Taking a break from TCGS for a bit any other game podcasts you can recommend?.

I do have every sound of play to listen to though so I am looking forward to getting stuck into them. Bizarre I have not really delved in seen as I love videogame music so much!

Suits

Post by Suits » July 18th, 2018, 11:44 am

DomsBeard wrote:
July 18th, 2018, 11:22 am
I do have every sound of play to listen to though so I am looking forward to getting stuck into them. Bizarre I have not really delved in seen as I love videogame music so much!
SoP often catches me off guard with how much I enjoy it.

People I recommend it too are sometimes put off by its premise, as they don't think they enjoy computer game music/discussion enough to listen to a podcast about it. They soon find out its versatility.

I think it's a more palatable podcast sometimes when you just want to relax and perhaps focus less on the conversation.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 18th, 2018, 12:57 pm

I echo Suits’ sentiments!

To listen to SoP is to love it. I wish more CaR listeners would give it a chance.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » July 18th, 2018, 1:04 pm

I know where I go wrong I always start listening then think about what I would recommend then go to youtube and listen to that. Looking forward to ploughing through them and throwing in my recommendatiosn

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 18th, 2018, 7:46 pm

I must admit, although I listen to almost all of the main episodes, I've only ever listened to a handful of Sound Of Play's. I will make a considered effort to listen more!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 18th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Just my two cents, but SoP is fantastic for long distance running. There is always a new unheard track around the corner to keep things fresh and it's not that big of a deal if one misses out on a bit of dialogue or two.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 18th, 2018, 9:19 pm

CHARMING.
😆

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » July 19th, 2018, 9:14 am

Forgot to add I love the Patreon minicast each month and worth $1 minimum and then some

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 19th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Thanks Dom.

kintaris

Post by kintaris » July 29th, 2018, 1:14 am

Now that I work from home I have been smashing through quite a lot of podcasts.

WTF with Marc Maron, which I'm sure has probably been mentioned before. Really insightful and human conversation with actors, comedians and writers. I finally got around to it when I realised he was the same guy from GLOW.

Spontaneanation with Paul F. Tompkins. That man can improv a monologue like no one else. He has a free form conversation with a special guest (triggered by a blind question from a previous guest) and then has an improv session with a bunch of fellow improv artists inspired by the earlier conversation. It's some of the purest comedy out there and always makes me cackle.

Comedy Bang Bang is a similar setup. Scott Auckerman has a conversation with a guest that normally quickly devolves into madness, as his open-door policy allows a whole bunch of insane characters to drop by, as played by a whole bunch of different comedians. It's daft improv comedy that tickles my funny bone. Also features the last known performance of Harris Wittels, one of the lead writers of Parks & Rec and all round hilarious guy who left us too soon.

Finally, another shout out to Mission to Zyxx which continues to be a hilarious sci-fi serial improvised as they go, but always remaining true and consistent to what has gone before so that they can build a bizarre but engaging sci-fi universe.

Improv comedy podcasts are my new obsession, it seems.

Suits

Post by Suits » August 7th, 2018, 9:04 am

Does anyone on hear listen to IGN's NVC (Nintendo Voice Chat) ??

It's fallen a long way from it's older Jose Otero days but I still religiously listen to it as soon as it's up.

The new host Filip Miucen has taken a long time to warm up to the podcast I feel and even after a year doesn't seem like a natural leader for the show.

The shy and seemingly quiet host has now been caught up in a plagiarism row, where it appears that his Dead Cells review has more than a few almost identical phrases of text from a video review of the same game two weeks prior.

As you can imagine, the internet is calling for his head on a stick at the moment.

IGN have since removed the review with a note saying it's under investigation.

Here's the article pointing out the similarities of the review.

https://www.spieltimes.com/news/igns-de ... giarisied/

Serious stuff.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » August 7th, 2018, 9:06 am

I am still smashing my way through Sounds Of Play, up to episode 30 so far. The halloween show was brilliant and I would also like to know if Mr Gargette was wearing underwear in issue 28? :D