PS4 - fan noise...

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
ianw78

PS4 - fan noise...

Post by ianw78 »

Bit of an odd one here guys... I bought a new media unit which arrived yesterday and set it all up ... Playing Witcher 3 last night I noticed the fan on my PS4 was very noisy and putting my hand just behind the PS4 it was quite hot..

I must admit I had a reservations about putting my PS4 on the shelving here since there's a 2" hole at the rear for cables etc... otherwise it's blocked off. Not much room for air to circulate other than coming out of the front. I know the PS4 needs good ventilation generally.

I've read about people using laptop fan pads etc.. underneath their PS4 and wondered whether anyone had experience here of that?
Don't want to risk the machine overheating and also warping the the wood on my unit (it was pretty expensive).

It looks great where it sits now but not much use if it's going to get far too hot. Thought about the Sony vertical stand and putting my PS4 outside of the unit somewhere as a last resort.

Had an open glass unit before and no problems but busy redecorating my flat.

I've added 2 photos below so you can see what I mean.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4grkq1fkk9mx ... 5.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbg54me9q0a3b ... r.jpg?dl=0
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: PS4 - fan noise...

Post by ratsoalbion »

Before I upgraded to a Pro, I followed this guide to clean the dust out of my launch PS4 and it helped reduce noise a lot:

ianw78

Post by ianw78 »

ratsoalbion wrote:Before I upgraded to a Pro, I followed this guide to clean the dust out of my launch PS4 and it helped reduce noise a lot:
Thanks mate, I've seen this similar videos... Just not sure I really want to be taking it apart... Hmmmmm.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I am utterly cack-handed when it comes to things like this, but it really isn't a high difficulty tariff.
Make sure you have all of the correct tools before you start and you should be fine.
It really did make a lot of difference for me.

Disclaimer: I take absolutely no responsibility for you doing something stupid and breaking your PS4 if you do decide to go ahead!
;)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

If you struggle following a video, iFixit has really great guides, lots of close up photos etc. I used it to take apart my Vita to replace the thumb sticks and battery.

General disassembly guide here, but you may find something more specific to your need on the site: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PlayStatio ... mbly/52475
ianw78

Post by ianw78 »

Thanks guys. I unscrewed a backpanel the middle of my new unit so air can now flow out from the back. A lot less noisier now...

May still follow that video sometime though :)
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Yeah mate, your unit was offering no ventilation, thats why the ps4 cooling fans kicked in, the console definetly needs air flow through your unit, it wasnt because of dust. I bought one of those vertical stands to use on my launch ps4 in the upright position as the fan used to start when id play any game. No need for heating in the room when usin ps4.
ianw78

Post by ianw78 »

Indiana747 wrote:Yeah mate, your unit was offering no ventilation, thats why the ps4 cooling fans kicked in, the console definetly needs air flow through your unit, it wasnt because of dust. I bought one of those vertical stands to use on my launch ps4 in the upright position as the fan used to start when id play any game. No need for heating in the room when usin ps4.
Yeah the fan still kicks in when playing Witcher 3... but nothing like as loud as it was. Games like that must work the processors more.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just followed the video and cleaned mine out as when using PSVR or playing Witcher 3 or Andromeda it sounds like a jumbo jet taking off so I have had to use headphones. I'll report back in a bit to see if it has made a difference
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I opened and cleaned out my PS4 fan recently.
It made a minor difference, but some games (particularly rocket league on the main menu) cause my PS4 to sound like jet engine.
The fan, when I opened the case was disappointingly clean. From doing some deeper digging, it's my understanding that they have changed the design of the PS4 fan a few times, and that my launch PS4 is prone to having a loud fan.

I have my ps4 stood on it's edge, not on a stand (horrific, I know) I have since put acoustifeet (look on ebay) onto the underside of the PS4 and when I'm going to play something that makes the fan angry. I'll lay the PS4 flat and make sure there's plenty of space at the back for airflow and it's noticeably quieter.
If the fan starts to get noisier again, I think the next step for me it looking into swapping out the fan (and maybe re-applying the thermal paste to the heatsink)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote: April 12th, 2017, 9:50 pm Just followed the video and cleaned mine out as when using PSVR or playing Witcher 3 or Andromeda it sounds like a jumbo jet taking off so I have had to use headphones. I'll report back in a bit to see if it has made a difference
It is noticeably quieter now, especially with PSVR. Still chugs a little with Andromeda but about 20% of what it did before.