Readly - it's Neflix for magazines!

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Readly - it's Neflix for magazines!

Post by Alex79 »

You might have seen the adverts on TV, but Readly is a subscription app (£6.99 a month I think) which gives you access to around 1500 digital magazines.

I've had a quick search and there are dozens of magazines I'd read - video games, movies, music, a really good selection. It's also got the only magazine I subscribe to - Retro Gamer - and so for a couple of quid extra a month I'd have access to all the others too.

I suppose the real clincher is whether you can live with digital magazines rather than a paper copy. I love getting my monthly issue of RG in the post, but I think this is probably the way print media is going so I'm going to try it out - you get a 14 day trial and you can download magazines to read offline too which is handy.

Anyway, just a heads up really for anyone who's interested.
Suits

Re: Readly - it's Neflix for magazines!

Post by Suits »

Good shout, I'm sure this will be great for a lot of people.

I, like yourself, genuinely look forward to RG landing on my doormat and thumbing though it, so it's not for me but I agree it's a good idea :) .
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been having a play with it this afternoon, it's genuinely pretty fantastic! On a phone there is a handy button to reformat articles to a more mobile friendly state and on a larger tablet screen the pages look great. I can easily see myself switching over to this. There are a couple of years worth of back issues available too which is nice.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Back issues ?!?

Now that's a very good feature, allbeit only for new subscribers I suppose.
James

Post by James »

I looked at Readly a few months back. Sadly, despite a truly excellent collection, they don't have New Scientist, which would be a must for me.

Thankfully, my local library service has a free digital magazine service that does include New Scientist. Your luck may vary from council-to-council (and country-to-country), and you won't find the variety that Readly has, but it might be worth a look.