Gaming Storage Solutions

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
countstex

Gaming Storage Solutions

Post by countstex »

My wife and I have been a two TV gaming couple for many a year now. We previously just had both TV's side by side in the living room. However, in an attempt to avoid having to explain this to everyone who visits, my wife came up with a solution that her father implemented with aplomb! Now we can pack away, or set up her personal gaming station in but a couple of minutes!

ImageDSC_0079 by Linda & Steven Thomsen-Jones, on Flickr
Stored Away

ImageDSC_0080 by Linda & Steven Thomsen-Jones, on Flickr
Moved into Position

ImageDSC_0081 by Linda & Steven Thomsen-Jones, on Flickr
Ready for Deployment

ImageDSC_0082 by Linda & Steven Thomsen-Jones, on Flickr
Consoles Activated

ImageDSC_0083 by Linda & Steven Thomsen-Jones, on Flickr
Ready to Game!
KSubzero1000

Re: Gaming Storage Solutions

Post by KSubzero1000 »

This looks really cool! What an ingenious solution you've found.

I think I'd be paranoid about the cabinet tripping over something and destroying its content, but that's probably just me.
countstex

Post by countstex »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 26th, 2017, 7:24 am This looks really cool! What an ingenious solution you've found.

I think I'd be paranoid about the cabinet tripping over something and destroying its content, but that's probably just me.
The base is made from a seriously heavy chunk of wood. It's pretty damn stable, other than someone falling onto the shelf it should be fine :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Good to know! It just looks a bit wobbly at first glance. There is only so much that pictures can convey, after all.

Personally, I've opted for a repurposed giant shoe cabinet with custom shelves to store all my games and controllers. Nowhere near as fancy, but I'm yet to find a storage option with a higher game-per-cubic-cm ratio. Whereas my ancient TV unit still bravely manages to balance all 6 consoles on top of itself, a feat I am very grateful for.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That's awesome! Nice living room too! :D
Beck

Post by Beck »

Nice one, it looks great. How did you attach the consoles to the shelf? I'd love one of those stations setup in my house. We are in a situation where would like a TV in the bedroom but with limited wall and floor space, having a TV positioned permanently would crowd the room. Something like your wifes solution would be amazing.

I know you probably know this, but just in case... Moving the consoles from a vertical to horizontal position whilst the hard drive is spinning is not going to end well.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Alex79uk wrote: September 26th, 2017, 10:20 am That's awesome! Nice living room too! :D
Cheers, the living room took most of February and a chunk of March to sort out! :D
countstex

Post by countstex »

Beck wrote: September 26th, 2017, 12:20 pm Nice one, it looks great. How did you attach the consoles to the shelf? I'd love one of those stations setup in my house. We are in a situation where would like a TV in the bedroom but with limited wall and floor space, having a TV positioned permanently would crowd the room. Something like your wifes solution would be amazing.

I know you probably know this, but just in case... Moving the consoles from a vertical to horizontal position whilst the hard drive is spinning is not going to end well.
When vertical the consoles are half supported by the wood behind them, then I have some Velcro under each to prevent them tipping into the screen. Seems to hold up fine, and as they are not something we will remove and re-attach very often at all I'm hopeful the Velco will hold up.

Also, not shown in the pics, but the wood behind the screen has two large cutouts for better ventilation, but also to make the pull-up draw lighter. Ended up weighing quite a bit!

And yup, always a little risky moving spinning disks. Another reason to love SSDs! (Not that I have SSDs in the consoles... yet)
countstex

Post by countstex »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 26th, 2017, 8:20 am Good to know! It just looks a bit wobbly at first glance. There is only so much that pictures can convey, after all.

Personally, I've opted for a repurposed giant shoe cabinet with custom shelves to store all my games and controllers. Nowhere near as fancy, but I'm yet to find a storage option with a higher game-per-cubic-cm ratio. Whereas my ancient TV unit still bravely manages to balance all 6 consoles on top of itself, a feat I am very grateful for.
Clever! We made the choice to go 100% digital for the One and the PS4 so our storage requirements have been minimised on that front. Plus it effectively halves our spend on games since we can share the digital copy. Great for co-op games ;)
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

countstex wrote: September 26th, 2017, 10:13 pmWe made the choice to go 100% digital for the One and the PS4 so our storage requirements have been minimised on that front. Plus it effectively halves our spend on games since we can share the digital copy. Great for co-op games ;)
Sir, let me just say: greatly admire your work! It's really quite an elegant design too.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Thank you. Vetting your parents in law for skills is a good idea for an easy life ;)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’d be really interested to know how your set up still fairs one year on. I think this could potentially solve a whole load of arguments in my house! We don’t have a natural spot for the television in our living room so having something along those lines could be a godsend.