New Mobile Phone tech - Does anyone still care?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
PapaBlingo

New Mobile Phone tech - Does anyone still care?

Post by PapaBlingo »

I may be on my own here, but I could happily go on with my current mobile phone, despite having the option to 'upgrade'. I have a Pixel XL, which is certainly not an old phone, but there is nothing in the current batch of flagship phones that really interests me and I cant think of anything that I would want in a mobile phone that my current one doesnt do. I think its fair to say that while the mobile phone tech hasnt flatlined, the advances being made are incremental, with no huge revelations likely in the short term.

So back to the topic title, do you still care about the advancment of tech in mobile phones?
Suits

Re: New Mobile Phone tech - Does anyone still care?

Post by Suits »

Interesting topic, I will add my 2p as recently I feel things have changed - for me personally anyway.

I first jumped on board with smartphones when the iPhone 3GS came out, since then, more often than not I've upgraded every 24 months to the newest iPhone - I currently have the iPhone 8+

However, my last phone was the iPhone 7+ and this I felt was the biggest and best version of a mobile device since I first had an iPhone.

The introduction of now being waterproof, with the already excellent fingerprint technology, apple pay and pretty damn good camera made it all feel like a big step up from the 6.

So I suppose, looking at my phone as being a mobile life device and not a gaming device, the new ergonomic and hardware improvements have made it better for me to live with day to day.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I love getting a new phone, and each time I upgrade I'm excited to see what I can use it to emulate and see what the new screens and graphical prowess are. Yeah, I spend a lot more time with my phone than any other gadget I own so I like to keep updated.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Given that I'm a wild animal who is still rocking an indestructible Nokia, who prefers paper maps and street signs over GPS, who is irrationally wary about mental atrophy and therefore dislikes crutches such as calculators and spell-checkers, who finds ink more reliable than digital code, who prefers frank face-to-face interaction with bipeds instead of passive aggressive emojis and ghosting, and who would rather concentrate on other wild animals (and incoming vehicles) instead of staring at yet another screen whenever he leaves his lair, I think I'll deal with the eventual plateauing of smartphone technology just fine. :lol:

(Yes, I know. Weirdo.)
Stoootube

Post by Stoootube »

I currently have an iPhone SE and no longer have any interest in newer models. They’re all too big! My wife just got the new XR and it’s lovely (with the exception of the fact she chose coral which is horrific!), but it’s enormous! Sadly it looks like that will be my only upgrade path when my SE eventually dies.

It’s a shame really, I’d heard Apple had been working on an SE2 and canned it. For me it’s the perfect phone, small but still fairly powerful.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I tend to stay a generation or two behind with my iPhones. For example, I just upgraded to the X rather than going for the XS, purely because you tend a get a better tariff for the previous gen phone.

I always upgrade when I can, and always get excited about a new phone even if it's just a small technical upgrade.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I have a galaxy note 8 and not really bothered about getting the note 9.

I have been a Sony Xperia Z person for years getting every iteration day one.

My wife has just got the XS and seems really happy with it. I have never really been a fan of iphones after the 4.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

iPhone 8+ here. Like it, use it constantly, essential tool for my modern life. The everything machine.

However, I don’t really get all that excited about new a phone now that tech seems to have plateaud.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 11:33 am iPhone 8+ here. Like it, use it constantly, essential tool for my modern life. The everything machine.
Slight topic diversion here;

I have a 8+ also, I switched from a 7+.

I have to be honest, internal tech/camera aside, I much prefer the feeling of the 7 over the 8.

The glass back of the 8 just makes it slide all over the place. Be it on my lap, arm of the sofa, unless it’s completely flat - I find it just glides all over the place.

I detest cases on my phones, so I suppose I’m exposed to it but it still bothers me with this current iPhone.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I found a nice case that I’m completely happy with: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N5LZVYR? ... pop_ma_swf
Suits

Post by Suits »

You know that feeling, every now and then, when you take your phone out of its case and it feels lush ??

I like that feeling all the time :lol: .

Cases can FOAD !
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Hahaha. I know exactly what you mean. I got the S9 recently and it feels so good naked in the palm of my hand. Put it in a case with all these flaps and stuff and it's almost cruel. It's like putting a tea cozy on a peacock. I sometimes take it out for the tactile pleasure of it. Then I quickly put it back in the case because I'm shit scared of smashing it on the tiles.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm due a new phone next month, and came in the shop today when my girlfriend was upgrading hers. There is literally nothing I want! I really don't know what to get. I've got an Xperia XZ1 at the moment and it's been fine, but is slow and crashes a lot now and I want a new one. It's just such a confusing minefield, seemingly designed to bamboozle the customer. Anyone got any recommendations? Android only. Ta :)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I got an S9. Seems fundamentally no better than my old HTC Desire back in the day except I now need to use two hands to send a text and shit like that. Camera and sound quality (through AUX and the phone speaker) are way better though. Camera is amazing. Took over three hundred thousand photos of my cat asleep or sometimes awake.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Haha. After much research, I reckon I'm going for the Huawei P30. Looks pretty perfect for what I want. An ever so slightly larger screen would have been nice for comics, but the Pro version is a lot pricier. And the standard P30 already has a clear inch more space than my current Sony phone.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

I've had a Samsung S7 since 2016 and I love it. I see no reason to upgrade to an S8 let alone S9 or I guess there might be an S10 now?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

There's absolutely no reason whatsoever to upgrade. I had an S7 and was very happy with it. The S9 seems identical in every meaningful way.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

That's what I thought. The S7 does everything I need it to so have no reason to change it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Absolutely no memory of making that post but I stand by the statement having cozied many many peacocks.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I have a S8 note or a note 8?. I used to get a new phone every year but not bothered for 2 years. Getting a Pixel phone purely as I'm getting stadia